Looking for name for new Organization & series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 62Duece View Post
    So Dave Ahokas is 70 something and can spend 5 days in a Pro mod that the windows don't roll down, rides in Kirkey seats, and has no air conditioning in 95 to 100 degree weather, but you can't drive your car in a street car drag racing event?
    Look it's 72 miles from holly springs, ms to jackson, tn and 127 miles to sikeston, Mo. This all circles Memphis, if you don't want to drive your car that once upon a time was a new car that your dad or grandpa drove around the county when is was new, then park your diesel 1 ton and car trailer in Memphis and drive to the first track. Then drive back to Memphis and get your stretcher when you are done.
    FYI, it's only a 2500 Diesel. I don't know how to break the news to you but yes I've driven my Pigs in a "street car racing event" before! I'm not here to argue with you, you do it your way and I'll do it my way, I hope it all works out and it turns out to be a lot of fun for everybody.
    sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

OK so your saying its only 75 miles from the home track.........thats no big deal. Barry, Fink and Schroeder went farther then that for ice cream in Chicago.

I thought you were talking 300 miles.....my mistake.

Some of us like the idea of running cars that have motors that have no business on the street and learning how to make them live, that is what this would be for us. Just more testing which we have not done enough of.

Hope your car show, bracket racing comments aren't aimed at me.
      Last edited by Rat Infested; November 14, 2013, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat Infested View Post
        OK so your saying its only 75 miles from the home track.........thats no big deal. Berry, Fink and Schroeder went farther then that for ice cream in Chicago.

I thought you were talking 300 miles.....my mistake.

Some of us like the idea of running cars that have motors that have no business on the street and learning how to make them live, that is what this would be for us. Just more testing which we have not done enough of.

Hope your car show, bracket racing comments aren't aimed at me.
        Not aimed at you. This isn't really meant to be a Come from FAR away like say Canada sort of deal, more regional in the beginning at least. Sorta Midwest.

Comment

I would be interested in this and would like to do a loop if possible as more likely I would be traveling 12+ hrs to start point. Not saying my car wouldn't make it I just like the insurance policy of the tow rig within driving distance I have traveled to Memphis brandenton Atlanta so not bsing when I travel. Or even worse case scenario a launch point somewhat central of all tracks. I know this adds an element of pain in butt. In my opinion I wouldn't worry about far away racers like me but would like to have opportunity if time permits. First step is make it happen and racers will come. Honestly when planning or organizing an event there will always be an unhappy individual but can't please everyone. Keep it simple and keep it fun

Comment

The majority of the people I've discussed this with are Midwest/Midsouth guys. You gotta start somewhere and If I live in Missouri I'm not going to plan races in the northeast. Now at least, I run a small business. I'm not sure I could even attend all that I would like to see happen myself. I really want this to happen for the Racing community.
            Last edited by 62Duece; November 14, 2013, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Has anything concrete been set as far as dates? You have already mentioned the tracks you have talked to, how about some dates? Ball park it if you want (i.e. mid June, etc.).

As for a name, I like the Street Survival Racing Series. Kind of tells it all to me.
              Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Great idea crusty! I know there are 3 of us up here by sedalia that will be in if u can get this going! like to see what kind of classes or rules your gonna have!

Comment

Quick rules/classes:
                  All cars must have Factory issued VIN Steel body tub (unless oem composite), all glass windows, door glass must roll up/down, electric horn, hi/low headlights, taillights, turn signals, running lights.

2 Big tire Classes power adder and naturally aspirated. I would prefer to NOT see Super Comp cars with lights, but if you can tolerate driving it more power to you.

2 small tire classes N/A & P/A. 275/15, radial or 28x10.5 non W max tire size, factory firewall, steel floor/trunk pan (this my be subjective as I really don't want to see outlaw 10.5/275 cars running small tire. stock style suspension or ladder bar/torque arm (but must be steel mini-tubbed), any bolt-on front suspensions (might allow some exceptions I saw some at No Prep that would allow). Steel doors/fenders (unless oem composite). stock door panels/dash/carpet, rear seat area must be carpeted. must have bumpers fiberglass ok.

Pure Stock suspension Class,235 Drag Radial or any pure radial that fits in an Oem wheel tub. stock arms, NO adjustable aluminum body shocks, steel my be adjustable Ranchos ok, no coil overs, no widened wheel tubs, rolled wheel lips ok, NO 70's street freak tires sticking out past the quarter. No "bobbing' of front frame.

Now for a class that I would love to see, a Gasser class. Dennis can set some rules for this one. I think a 65-67 cut off with 58 and newer requiring a straight axle conversion, tires must stick out the quarters. etc......

We are not Bracket Racing or index racing period, Never going to happen. We are not Weighing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
                    Has anything concrete been set as far as dates? You have already mentioned the tracks you have talked to, how about some dates? Ball park it if you want (i.e. mid June, etc.).

As for a name, I like the Street Survival Racing Series. Kind of tells it all to me.
                    Leaning toward 2 before Memorial day maybe 1 late summer and 1 post Drag Week. After memorial day schedules are mostly full already with racing and this is going to be easier to schedule in with test and tune dates.
                    Last edited by 62Duece; November 15, 2013, 08:31 AM.

Comment

you said heads up racing. then minimum of two runs per track.
                      assuming 1st two tracks are qualifiers then finals at last track??

just curious of the schedule/plan.

Great idea though, I would love to come and participate, but not expecting to do well. Just race some more on tracks I haven't been to.
                      Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
                      Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
                      Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
                      Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

Originally posted by LAGNAF View Post
                        you said heads up racing. then minimum of two runs per track.
                        assuming 1st two tracks are qualifiers then finals at last track??

just curious of the schedule/plan.

Great idea though, I would love to come and participate, but not expecting to do well. Just race some more on tracks I haven't been to.
                        Nope eliminations take too long. Building off of criticism of Drag Week. Hero passes and spectators wanting to see fast cars make more than 1 pass. I see the 2015 Drag Week rules going this direction. besides it gives the constant underdog cars a better chance against the raged edge cars.

example track 1 9.0 pass and 8.50 pass averages to 8.75. Track 2 8.99 and 9.01 pass avgerages to 9.0, Track 3 8.50 agerage. for a weekend average of 8.75. This eliminates hero passes a 1 and done.
                        Last edited by 62Duece; November 15, 2013, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Sorry I can see where heads up racing should say "Heads up classes"

Comment

Originally posted by 62Duece View Post
                            Quick rules/classes:
                            All cars must have Factory issued VIN Steel body tub (unless oem composite), all glass windows, door glass must roll up/down, electric horn, hi/low headlights, taillights, turn signals, running lights.

2 Big tire Classes power adder and naturally aspirated. I would prefer to NOT see Super Comp cars with lights, but if you can tolerate driving it more power to you.

2 small tire classes N/A & P/A. 275/15, radial or 28x10.5 non W max tire size, factory firewall, steel floor/trunk pan (this my be subjective as I really don't want to see outlaw 10.5/275 cars running small tire. stock style suspension or ladder bar/torque arm (but must be steel mini-tubbed), any bolt-on front suspensions (might allow some exceptions I saw some at No Prep that would allow). Steel doors/fenders (unless oem composite). stock door panels/dash/carpet, rear seat area must be carpeted. must have bumpers fiberglass ok.

Pure Stock suspension Class,235 Drag Radial or any pure radial that fits in an Oem wheel tub. stock arms, NO adjustable aluminum body shocks, steel my be adjustable Ranchos ok, no coil overs, no widened wheel tubs, rolled wheel lips ok, NO 70's street freak tires sticking out past the quarter. No "bobbing' of front frame.

Now for a class that I would love to see, a Gasser class. Dennis can set some rules for this one. I think a 65-67 cut off with 58 and newer requiring a straight axle conversion, tires must stick out the quarters. etc......

We are not Bracket Racing or index racing period, Never going to happen. We are not Weighing anything.
                            No unlimited style class to be a catch all for cars that violate your rules? My old truck is no threat to anyone but I have a lexan rear window due to roll cage bars passing thru it, fiberglass rear fenders and hood, and a fiberglass (custom) dash due to the original being cut out to do (gasp!) some bracket racing. Consequently, I am out before I was in.
                            Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

So its heads up! But the win is for the weekend average of fast passes

Comment

ok, so what's the incentive? Money?
                                Drag Week 2006 11.00 index DNF
                                Drag Week 2011 DD
                                Drag week 2012 Hot Rod Winner
                                Drag week 2013 Hot Rod Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X