-AN coolant lines on the street.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -AN coolant lines on the street.

Anyone run AN coolant lines on the street? What size and any issues? Im looking at -16.

I have always wondered why AN for cooling hoses? I ain't knocking it.... just wondering what is the attraction?
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I'm pretty sure CDMBill has them so maybe he'll chime in.

Is -16 simply 1"? I'm going to be using 1" heater hose from an electric water pump for my straight six engine, but using conventional nipples and hose clamps.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

you know, I've been trying to figure out AN and JIC lately. It's just normal SAE type threads with 37* flare fittings?
        Last edited by Beagle; November 20, 2013, 02:07 PM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Dual -12 feed and return on mine. No cooling issues

Tim
          86 Mustang
          454 LSX FTI ls3 Mast 4500 Holley EFI 8" with C4, FTI Hyd Roller 9.24 143.5 1.33 3.73 5.84 116.21

Comment

I run -16 on my car with no troubles. What troubles I do have are airflow related.

I like them, not sure if I would do it again if i had to start over. They look nice, and there isn't much that can happen to them to make them come off. I know of more than one car that has a lost a radiator hose and hit the wall due to a headgasket loss or something else causing it.
            1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
            1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
              I know of more than one car that has a lost a radiator hose and hit the wall due to a headgasket loss or something else causing it.
              Hmm, interesting. I wonder what the pressure delta is between popping a hose off from a clamped fitting versus popping the hose or radiator itself from a pressure spike?

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm trying to tackle individual components that will take me out of DW. I'm ordering a new Ron Davis radiator and have the option of AN so I figured why not, safer than my stock hoses. Guess I'll get -16.

Comment

Randall is right, I do run AN, radiator mounted Meziere pump with two outlets into each side of the belt drive 'timing cover'. Earl's black nylon braided.

However the outlet side is a very short piece of conventional Gates molded 1.5" hose from thermostat housing to the de-gas (surge tank) and another very short straight piece from the tank to the radiator inlet. No issues anywhere including 108* True Street deal at Famoso last year. I use Odeker clamps which really seal the conventional hose well. 22 lb. cap. Dual pass Afco radiator.
                  Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I run a regular 1.5" hose to a moroso thermostat housing that converts to two -12an lines that connect to my intake. I wold have rather done without the -an lines but my intake only has NPT fittings in it that go straight to the water passages in the heads.
                    -Jeff
                    Street car with a 5 speed, 427ci SBF 9.86 at 136mph
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GKQ2xpZraU
                    I survived Drag Week 2013

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll post up what I decide. Lots to order so not sure when the cooling system will get tackled.

Comment

*thinking out loud here*
                        So by making the coolant lines that "bullet proof" what is the weak link in the chain??

would it be the radiator then..

I personally would rather try to find a replacement hose when I break down on the side of the road in the middle of "no where". Rather than trying to fix a blown seam in a radiator. unless we have beer cans, spray foam and Jeff with us!!
                        Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
                        Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
                        Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
                        Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

Originally posted by LAGNAF View Post
                          would it be the radiator then..
                          That's what I was thinking. Way easier to find some hoses at any parts store if the line comes apart or worse radiator blows. I'll take a hose fuse if a head gasket blows. Exploding a radiator doesn't sound any safer, because head gasket pressure is going to compound into the cooling system until either the engine is shut off or something pops.

Comment

Hopefully the radiator cap is the release of pressure. I also won't buy a $50 Chinese radiator for a boosted car, it's a $750 Ron Davis so I'm going to figure I have top shelf non exploding cooling system pieces...Hopefully!

Comment

Working...
                            X