Daily Driver hostility??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Driver hostility??

My goal is to have a DD entry for next year, I see some aggravation toward the "filler" class. What gives?

LOL... seems to be this way for a FEW years... like its class cars vs DD...
    I dont pay much attention to it... go and have fun... if you finish you did good

Comment

I have no issue with the DD class itself, seems like a lot of fun, and some neat cars run in it.... With that said, I do have a little problem how they roll out the registration, I think the DD class should be held to a specific number of cars until the part of the world that does not sit in front of the puter waiting for registration open, has time to sign up, specifically the class cars, I know more than a few that didn't get in, and it would be safe to say they were crowded out by registration being flooded by DD cars, many of those class cars never showed up, and that is terrible, especially considering some of those people have worked for years to get their cars ready, only to find out that they were bounced out by a DD 1988 Mudstain with a warmed up 302..

I hope Hot Rod handles registration different this year.. I would of never got in through regular registration had it not been for Darryl with the ProCharged Duster giving me a heads-up, I was heading out for the evening, and had to stop as I was going out the door and register, thanks to Darryl.. Sitting on a list hoping to get in is NOT the way to plan for an event like this when you're bringing a more serious ride.
      Last edited by TheEngineWorks.com; November 28, 2013, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Before they came up with the format now used, class first, DD, then open to all, everyone had to stay till 1PM and I could see where DD making hot laps became a problem. Still had open slots even this year and if I remember right, they were begging for cars to come and make passes in St. Louis by 11:30.

Yes, I am a slow DD with aspirations of going faster. 2012 ave mid 13's, 2013 ave mid 12's, 2014 hope for mid 11's.

just get something built and show up. Being a red headed step child isn't all that bad......at least you get to show up. (just beat it like a rented mule when you do) No sandbaggers.
        Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

With regards to Eddie's comments on registration, if they did it the way he mentions, everyone would just sign up for a class. Why not? You can change classes up until the time you hand in your time slip the first day. I don't see a good way to police entries for DW if that is a persons mission- to make sure it is only open to the quickest and fastest that meet a certain criteria. But then I look at DW as an opportunity to get the best out of my junk and have a good time on my vacation. Sure it is a race, but it is also my vacation. And BTW, there were approximately 100 out of the 230 cars at BG this year in the DD class. That means that over half were not DD cars.

This past year was my first year and I did not hear of any complaints against the DD guys at all during the week. But then again, I ran with the same guys all week. IMO, the character of the individuals participating came out during the week, I saw no class warfare. I think that only happens with a few guys on the message boards. On the road, what class you are in doesn't mean squat- everyone tries to help others finish. Just my $.02.
          Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

15 second DD's have as much right to sign up and participate as a 6 second unlimited car does. End of story. The hostility is propagated and fueled by those who bitch and moan about "floods" of DD's forcing more "worthy" cars out. It is what it is until such time Hot Rod alters the registration requirements.
            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I agree with BBR and Orage65: there is no way to enforce some kind of fast cars first rule, beyond early entry for certain repeat offenders, which would raise the "insider issue" all over again. It'll be interesting to see what changes if any are made this year to the registration process. In the meantime I plan to bring my new to me 1989 Mustang notch with a pair of warmed over 302" four cylinders sharing a common block and crank. Hopefully I can get into the Quick 32.
              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Well I'll just keep informed as best I can as to the registration info. Until then I'll keep working on the ride. I'll be on the fast end of DD but no possibility in SB/PA. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by MR P-BODY View Post
                  LOL... seems to be this way for a FEW years... like its class cars vs DD...
                  I dont pay much attention to it... go and have fun... if you finish you did good
                  I can't wait to have a blast!

Comment

One fact still remains, there hasn't been a full Drag Week yet. No one has ever been turned away. The people who want to go, show up on Sunday before 2 pm. The one's who sit at home and cry about how they missed out weren't going to make it to the event anyway!

Comment

I'll have to admit I was pretty frustrated this year when they announced the tracks once a day for 4-5days and then never really said..."Hey Registration is FRIDAY.. it will fill up fast make sure you get on at "XXX" Time or you will be missing out!
                      I woke up saturday with a text from Dave Henninger.. "Hey.. did you see Drag Week is full?" WHAT? I didn't even know registration was open!
                      So needless to say I was pretty upset.
                      We were put on the wait list... Dave was #1... I was 19&20 with the two cars we had planning on going.

I got good communication from HotRod about when our numbers were called on the wait list. It was 2 1/2 weeks till Drag Week and I'd lost all hope of going actually... My car was not all together and needed a TON of work. Then I got the e-mail.....
                      Your number is up... do you want it? Oh man... So I worked on the car from 4am-midnight every day for 2 1/2weeks...
                      Got down to 2 days before and found a pushrod problem..... too long holding compression down to 30psi. Bummer.
                      So I had a customer let me take his GN Powered Mustang I had put together that summer. It did fantastic...
                      My car is all up and going... ready for 2014 Drag Week.

I do wish Hot Rod would give the Class Cars 1 week to register then the following week for Daily Drivers...... And possibly proof of why your in that class/time slip/something so people just don't register and then filp flop at the event to DD.
                      And announce when Registration is WAY before it opens so we are aware... and ready.

I like having the daily drivers there... I don't think the class cars had any problems with them either... 2013 was just as fun as 2009 when I went. More cars!!! In 2009 there were 117 cars total that finished... 130 cars that went.
                      Now 230cars entered and 170 finished..... It's becoming a very popular event.... and for good reason.
                      Coverage on 1320Video and Hot Rod was great... so are the people running it.!
                      ~Scott
                      427LSX 98mm Turbo Rossler 4L80E 3:25 Gear
                      www.smokedtailights.com

Comment

The event has gotten way bigger. Last year was proof, if you want to go you better be on your game as to getting signed up. I made a blanket statement at work that at some point in the near future I would get an email that caused me to run to the nearest computer and spend a few minutes getting signed up for the event. It went down exactly like that and I was number 11 to sign up(if thats how those numbers work). There is plenty of action here and on other websites to be able to get a feeling about when registration is going to open. You have to make it a priority, waiting until the next day or until you get a phone call will land you on the waiting list.

As far as daily driver goes its rough, I was bullied by class cars at almost every checkpoint, looking down at the P class designation letter and laughing at my Mopar........LOL. I have run DD two years and never felt any kind of hostility other than what gets brought up on here haha.

Daily driver is fun, my car won't scatter crap in a class so I will run DD until I outrun the 10.80 marker. I had a blast in the bracket race and beat myself(redlight) out of some drag week hardware in the semis but no biggie, it was fun. Isn't that why we all do this anyways?
                        Last edited by BlueCuda340; November 29, 2013, 07:16 AM.
                        1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                        1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
                          As far as daily driver goes its rough, I was bullied by class cars at almost every checkpoint, looking down at the P class designation letter and laughing at my Mopar........LOL. I have run DD two years and never felt any kind of hostility other than what gets brought up on here haha.

Other than the folks that complain that DD is taking up "valuable" early registration spots (less than half the spots :rollseyes and with the way class and run sessions are set up the start time of the DD sessions do seem to get pushed by 15-30 minutes, aka behind schedule, which is interpreted as lack of respect for DD's. I will admit I've seen some abuses on the time thing, but I don't think it's a deliberate bias but just a function of the lane director trying to clear out the class line before starting the DD's up. UNFORTUNATELY they haven't been very successful at closing off the back of the class line and some class guys get in line after the cut off. I'm positive if the DD's ran first you'd see the exact same thing but with the roles reversed.

I'm with MoparBilly and I've yet to see how time slip, etc stuff is enforceable. I could list all the parts on my car, just built it, never been to the track, say it should run 11's, yet the reality is so far best I've ran is a 12.95. Likewise with the options of class jumping. Register for sb/pa for the early registration, and on day 1 change class to DD. Piece of cake to do.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

We're all racing against the same roads....

Seems to me if someone wants a good chance at winning something, they'd be better off in any class other than DD. DD has guys who know how to bracket race well, and there are so many cars that even if you're quick enough to be in the top 32, the odds against you are still 32:1, which is worse than any other class.
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                              We're all racing against the same roads....

Seems to me if someone wants a good chance at winning something, they'd be better off in any class other than DD. DD has guys who know how to bracket race well, and there are so many cars that even if you're quick enough to be in the top 32, the odds against you are still 32:1, which is worse than any other class.
                              That that is why the first year I signed up for Drag Week I originally signed up for DD, but when I got to Day 1 I changed to BB/NA.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X