Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unsubstantiated rumors, mumblings or flat out lies about 2014 locations??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mo-Kan is an IHRA track... I think HR are generally sticking to NHRA tracks and those seem to be 200-300 miles apart. I am not fast enough for it to be an issue, but from what others have stated before NHRA tracks are better for those making 6-second passes...

    All that said, I have never been to Mo-Kan and I am not speaking about it in specific....

    Comment


    • Originally posted by c2xejk View Post
      Mo-Kan is an IHRA track... I think HR are generally sticking to NHRA tracks and those seem to be 200-300 miles apart. I am not fast enough for it to be an issue, but from what others have stated before NHRA tracks are better for those making 6-second passes...

      All that said, I have never been to Mo-Kan and I am not speaking about it in specific....
      MoKan is an awesome place and very well run. However with metal guard rails and a short shutdown its not the place to run a heavy six second car. They do run some fast heads up stuff there on occasion but its always 1/8th mile.

      I am not sure the IHRA deal plays into it much. Memphis is an IHRA track(might even be IHRA owned) and we have hit it the last two years.
      1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
      1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

      Comment


      • I was just using those as an example of two tracks near one another.

        FWIW, Amarillo Dragway (IHRA sanctioned and on the level of Mo-Kan) was on DW 2011. Unfortunately for AmaDwy though, the owners had just bought the track and VP promised great things out of their traction compound which did not materialize. The track is in great shape now and hooks awesome. If they could only do something about the terrible DA's!
        Last edited by BBR; February 5, 2014, 09:11 AM.
        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ix-to-4sixzero
        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

        Comment


        • Originally posted by BBR View Post
          I was just using those as an example of two tracks near one another.

          FWIW, Amarillo Dragway (IHRA santioned and on the level of Mo-Kan) was on DW 2011. Unfortunately for AmaDwy though, the owners had just bought the track and VP promised great things out of their traction compound which did not materialize. The track is in great shape now and hooks awesome. If they could only do something about the terrible DA's!
          I think the atmospheric pressurized track bubble is a few years out lol.

          I think Mokan could hold the power but that shutdown area would be sketchy lol.
          1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
          1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

          Comment


          • I would build a duplicate of Mokan in my back yard, if I could. But HRM seems firmly committed to modern "national event" supertracks.

            And only moderate difficulty "transit" roads (Read: too much interstate; not enough "twisties" . . . .)

            Comment


            • Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
              I would build a duplicate of Mokan in my back yard, if I could. But HRM seems firmly committed to modern "national event" supertracks.

              And only moderate difficulty "transit" roads (Read: too much interstate; not enough "twisties" . . . .)
              I think 2012 had plenty of twisties. I didn't like the routes as much last year as I did in 2012
              1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
              1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

              Comment


              • Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
                MoKan is an awesome place and very well run. However with metal guard rails and a short shutdown its not the place to run a heavy six second car. They do run some fast heads up stuff there on occasion but its always 1/8th mile.

                I am not sure the IHRA deal plays into it much. Memphis is an IHRA track(might even be IHRA owned) and we have hit it the last two years.
                My understanding is the Memphis status recently changed from NHRA to IHRA. No proof, so I could be wrong. Thought there was even some discussion about in a prior track speculation threads....

                On Amarillo Dragway, I was under the impression that it was not their first choice, but they were struggling to get tracks to sign up in '11.... Amarillo added the challenge of a fairly significant change in elevation.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
                  I think 2012 had plenty of twisties. I didn't like the routes as much last year as I did in 2012
                  I was rather disappointed with last years route. Very surprised they didn't run us down some of the historic roads that ran parallel to the interstates... 11 and 12 had us doing a rolling drag car car show into a bunch of small towns. Very cool seeing the people come out and watch us drive by...

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by c2xejk View Post
                    I was rather disappointed with last years route. Very surprised they didn't run us down some of the historic roads that ran parallel to the interstates... 11 and 12 had us doing a rolling drag car car show into a bunch of small towns. Very cool seeing the people come out and watch us drive by...
                    I concur. My reference points were 2011 and 2012, and of the three I've attended I like 2011's route the best.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

                    Comment


                    • This past DW I didnt care for a fair bit of the drive.. a lot of E-way
                      in my opinion... on 2009 and 2010 we had a lot more 2 lane roads
                      and better scenery(again JMO)... to me all the E-ways look the same..
                      yes you can get some serious mileage in quickly... and at times that helps
                      especially if your running behind... where ever it is this year I just hope that
                      the roads are in decent shape... in other words... stay out of Michigan... LOL

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by c2xejk View Post
                        My understanding is the Memphis status recently changed from NHRA to IHRA. No proof, so I could be wrong. Thought there was even some discussion about in a prior track speculation threads..
                        When Memphis reopened in 2011, it opened as an IHRA sanctioned track. Prior to that it was NHRA.

                        Last year was my first DW and I enjoyed the routes. One of my favorite was the 2 lane south of St. Louis before the first check point as we were driving next to (or close by) the river. But I am game for all 2 lanes- whatever. If I make it again this year, I will consider it a win for me!
                        Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
                          If I make it again this year
                          What do you mean IF...

                          You are going to be there, even if I have to drag you kicking and screaming...

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
                            When Memphis reopened in 2011, it opened as an IHRA sanctioned track. Prior to that it was NHRA.

                            Last year was my first DW and I enjoyed the routes. One of my favorite was the 2 lane south of St. Louis before the first check point as we were driving next to (or close by) the river. But I am game for all 2 lanes- whatever. If I make it again this year, I will consider it a win for me!

                            That section along the river was one of the better areas we were on

                            Comment


                            • I've only run '12 and I would prefer to avoid route 2 indian reservation bridge out construction zone sort of stuff - ask Maschmeier about that bridge - very little warning - and no cell phone coverage - I tried to call folks to warn them, but no coverage.
                              Still thinking CB or two way radio's may not be a bad idea?
                              There's always something new to learn.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                                I've only run '12 and I would prefer to avoid route 2 indian reservation bridge out construction zone sort of stuff - ask Maschmeier about that bridge - very little warning - and no cell phone coverage - I tried to call folks to warn them, but no coverage.
                                Still thinking CB or two way radio's may not be a bad idea?
                                In 11 I remember the driver's meeting where we were warned about passing through areas with no cell coverage and dirt as far as the eye could see... They didn't warn us about the Cattle feed lot on the way to Amarillo! I was glad my car waited until after that to break (failing fuel pump...)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X