Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unsubstantiated rumors, mumblings or flat out lies about 2014 locations??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MR P-BODY
    replied
    Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
    When Memphis reopened in 2011, it opened as an IHRA sanctioned track. Prior to that it was NHRA.

Last year was my first DW and I enjoyed the routes. One of my favorite was the 2 lane south of St. Louis before the first check point as we were driving next to (or close by) the river. But I am game for all 2 lanes- whatever. If I make it again this year, I will consider it a win for me!

That section along the river was one of the better areas we were on

Leave a comment:

• HBZ_81_C3
    replied
    Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
    If I make it again this year
    What do you mean IF...

You are going to be there, even if I have to drag you kicking and screaming...

Leave a comment:

• Orange65
    replied
    Originally posted by c2xejk View Post
    My understanding is the Memphis status recently changed from NHRA to IHRA. No proof, so I could be wrong. Thought there was even some discussion about in a prior track speculation threads..
    When Memphis reopened in 2011, it opened as an IHRA sanctioned track. Prior to that it was NHRA.

Last year was my first DW and I enjoyed the routes. One of my favorite was the 2 lane south of St. Louis before the first check point as we were driving next to (or close by) the river. But I am game for all 2 lanes- whatever. If I make it again this year, I will consider it a win for me!

Leave a comment:

• MR P-BODY
    replied
    This past DW I didnt care for a fair bit of the drive.. a lot of E-way
    in my opinion... on 2009 and 2010 we had a lot more 2 lane roads
    and better scenery(again JMO)... to me all the E-ways look the same..
    yes you can get some serious mileage in quickly... and at times that helps
    especially if your running behind... where ever it is this year I just hope that
    the roads are in decent shape... in other words... stay out of Michigan... LOL

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    I was rather disappointed with last years route. Very surprised they didn't run us down some of the historic roads that ran parallel to the interstates... 11 and 12 had us doing a rolling drag car car show into a bunch of small towns. Very cool seeing the people come out and watch us drive by...
    I concur. My reference points were 2011 and 2012, and of the three I've attended I like 2011's route the best.

Leave a comment:

• c2xejk
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
    I think 2012 had plenty of twisties. I didn't like the routes as much last year as I did in 2012
    I was rather disappointed with last years route. Very surprised they didn't run us down some of the historic roads that ran parallel to the interstates... 11 and 12 had us doing a rolling drag car car show into a bunch of small towns. Very cool seeing the people come out and watch us drive by...

Leave a comment:

• c2xejk
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
    MoKan is an awesome place and very well run. However with metal guard rails and a short shutdown its not the place to run a heavy six second car. They do run some fast heads up stuff there on occasion but its always 1/8th mile.

I am not sure the IHRA deal plays into it much. Memphis is an IHRA track(might even be IHRA owned) and we have hit it the last two years.
    My understanding is the Memphis status recently changed from NHRA to IHRA. No proof, so I could be wrong. Thought there was even some discussion about in a prior track speculation threads....

On Amarillo Dragway, I was under the impression that it was not their first choice, but they were struggling to get tracks to sign up in '11.... Amarillo added the challenge of a fairly significant change in elevation.

Leave a comment:

• BlueCuda340
    replied
    Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
    I would build a duplicate of Mokan in my back yard, if I could. But HRM seems firmly committed to modern "national event" supertracks.

And only moderate difficulty "transit" roads (Read: too much interstate; not enough "twisties" . . . .)
    I think 2012 had plenty of twisties. I didn't like the routes as much last year as I did in 2012

Leave a comment:

• 38P
    replied
    I would build a duplicate of Mokan in my back yard, if I could. But HRM seems firmly committed to modern "national event" supertracks.

And only moderate difficulty "transit" roads (Read: too much interstate; not enough "twisties" . . . .)

Leave a comment:

• BlueCuda340
    replied
    Originally posted by BBR View Post
    I was just using those as an example of two tracks near one another.

FWIW, Amarillo Dragway (IHRA santioned and on the level of Mo-Kan) was on DW 2011. Unfortunately for AmaDwy though, the owners had just bought the track and VP promised great things out of their traction compound which did not materialize. The track is in great shape now and hooks awesome. If they could only do something about the terrible DA's!
    I think the atmospheric pressurized track bubble is a few years out lol.

I think Mokan could hold the power but that shutdown area would be sketchy lol.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    I was just using those as an example of two tracks near one another.

FWIW, Amarillo Dragway (IHRA sanctioned and on the level of Mo-Kan) was on DW 2011. Unfortunately for AmaDwy though, the owners had just bought the track and VP promised great things out of their traction compound which did not materialize. The track is in great shape now and hooks awesome. If they could only do something about the terrible DA's!
    Last edited by BBR; February 5, 2014, 09:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BlueCuda340
    replied
    Mo-Kan is an IHRA track... I think HR are generally sticking to NHRA tracks and those seem to be 200-300 miles apart. I am not fast enough for it to be an issue, but from what others have stated before NHRA tracks are better for those making 6-second passes...

All that said, I have never been to Mo-Kan and I am not speaking about it in specific....
    MoKan is an awesome place and very well run. However with metal guard rails and a short shutdown its not the place to run a heavy six second car. They do run some fast heads up stuff there on occasion but its always 1/8th mile.

I am not sure the IHRA deal plays into it much. Memphis is an IHRA track(might even be IHRA owned) and we have hit it the last two years.

Leave a comment:

• c2xejk
    replied
    Mo-Kan is an IHRA track... I think HR are generally sticking to NHRA tracks and those seem to be 200-300 miles apart. I am not fast enough for it to be an issue, but from what others have stated before NHRA tracks are better for those making 6-second passes...

All that said, I have never been to Mo-Kan and I am not speaking about it in specific....

Leave a comment:

• 38P
    replied
    Originally posted by BBR View Post
    something like Tulsa to Mo-Kan (125 miles) by way of Fort Smith, AR. (270 miles) Short cutting would not be a issue because of the check points HR includes.
    That would rule, but they'd never make the pro mods run down a cool country track like Mokan

Arkansas and Southern Missouri have some gnarly backroads . . . .

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Ya know, when we speculate, we always look for tracks 200-300 miles straight-line away from the previous track. I wonder if HR would ever use tracks that were like 150 miles apart but make the route to get there 250+ miles?

For example, something like Tulsa to Mo-Kan (125 miles) by way of Fort Smith, AR. (270 miles) Short cutting would not be a issue because of the check points HR includes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X