Question For DW Guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question For DW Guys

For the guys that have gone AND anyone that might go...
    what kind of spare parts do you take and any odd ball
    tools... do you take a set of race tires and street
    tires... I am in process of building my trailer and
    am still in the air on taking a set of spare tires..
    I dont think I will but still dont know... I know what
    my limitations are when it comes to the engine work
    and trans work(I HAVE to pull the engine and trans
    together if I have to get inside the trans other than
    the pan and valve body) so thats not gonna happen
    on DW... on the engine I am taking enough parts to
    pull the heads and a couple pairs of roller lifters..
    a starter, water pump, alt and all the ignition parts..
    the trailer is small and is really the only way for
    me to pack anything except for maybe my clothes in
    the cab with some other small junk behind the seats...
    give me some ideas on what you take and/or plan on
    taking, I have a few pairs of spare rockers and a spare
    fuel pump, spare PRs and I thought about maybe taking
    a set of light weight rims and tires for the front(my street
    rims and tires are heavy ... thanks
    Attached Files

I hauled all my junk in the car so no room for street tires so I drove on slicks and skinnies the whole way,it got a little hairy in the rain. I got lucky and only had the o2 sensors fail and a pinched tube. I will be using a trailer this year. I didn't bother with certain common items cause Sbc parts are easily found but if I had lots of 1 off parts in car I would for sure bring spares.
    78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

This is one of those FAQ that needs to be added to the thread that is stickied. I took carb parts, gaskets, lifters, rockers, ignition parts, tools, spare bolts of all sizes, extra water, gas, and oil. I drove the first two days on my street tires and changed to my ET streets at the track. But I got tired of that circus and just started driving with the ET streets on. Made the trip a little more exciting in the rain, but it all worked out. Mine is a truck with most stuff packed up front, just tires and spare fluids in a special built rack in the back- my bed is aluminum floored.
      Last edited by Orange65; January 1, 2014, 02:22 PM.
      Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Yeah being a mopar small block I am bringing a lot of special parts
        for my engine ... I was thinking about the fan but I use a HHR fan
        so I think I can get that at a parts store but I might bring a fan I
        have laying around the shop to get me out of trouble... I am bringing
        a small set of jack stands and my small light weight jack... but being
        that the trailer is small it doesnt have a ton of room to play with

Comment

didn't you see the new rules,No trailers this year

Comment

Nope... didnt you see, no rule changes till 2015... LOL

Comment

I took all the stuff I didn't need, and none of the stuff I did need. Although...actually I packed light for 2013, didn't even bring a floor jack! since I knew everyone else would have one. I never needed one, either.

Drag radials...they work fine for a slow car like mine, low 11s. Even in the rain, with a locker.

The Chevy II I'm building will be open in back, nothing permanently mounted inside the trunk, no rear firewall needed. Plan to run slicks on the strip, and street tires on the road. Kinda like the TLB 55 Chevy.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

since I drive to Drag Week, I carry everything I can fit in the box, including a spare transmission and converter. Call it my get home box. I also run slicks for track and switch over to 33" tires for the road. If I ever win a Gear Vendors that will change. I just can't stand the thought of something breaking during the week and having 2 of them in the shop. This is the ONLY advantage of driving a big heavy piece of pig iron.
                Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Definitely needs to be in the sticky (hello Mods???)

Parts you can't or don't want to buy on the road, and as Jim points out unique tools, or consumables. I have taken head and intake gaskets, injectors, plugs, fuel pump, starter, spare battery and tools to manage tire changes and other street to track prep. The year I needed an alternator, I didn't have a spare and the one I did have was unique (MSD), = two hour thrash at O'Rielly Auto Parts.

On the road repairs are open to astounding results going back to the first year with Paul Whalen going to get get pistons for Carl Scott's wounded eventual winner, to Doc's Mc's over night rebuild and the incredible thrash to replace Ev Bernardo's entire driveline. In 2012 we 'borrowed' Keith Craft's lift in Arkadelphia to fix Rich Pedraza's trans. I got brake line repair parts from Wacky Mick and Jesse in Memphis. You just never know but the broader Drag Week community can work miracles.
                  Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I was thinking of taking a couple of old hyd lifters and welding a bar across the top or side of them. If a roller lifter were to munch the cam,I could pull out the roller lifters, drop in the slugs and continue on my merry way on 7 cylinders.
                    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I'm bringing things that I cant buy at a parts store (mainly engine junk)
                      but if I trash the trans I'm done... I do have a spare 9" pig but its a open
                      but I dont think the rear end or drive shaft are the weak points in my junk

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                        I was thinking of taking a couple of old hyd lifters and welding a bar across the top or side of them. If a roller lifter were to munch the cam,I could pull out the roller lifters, drop in the slugs and continue on my merry way on 7 cylinders.
                        I've put a hose clamp(air craft screw style) on a lifter to hold it up on a bad lobe with
                        a stick stuck in under the head to make sure it didnt move to get me home

Comment

Originally posted by MR P-BODY View Post
                          Yeah being a mopar small block I am bringing a lot of special parts
                          for my engine ... I was thinking about the fan but I use a HHR fan
                          so I think I can get that at a parts store but I might bring a fan I
                          have laying around the shop to get me out of trouble... I am bringing
                          a small set of jack stands and my small light weight jack... but being
                          that the trailer is small it doesnt have a ton of room to play with
                          MIKE what are you talking about (YOUR DRIVING a MO PAR just bring the cooler so we can fill it with beer and watch Pork chop and others work on there cars and hand them wrenches YOU KNOW MOPARS DONT BREAK!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by R Munch View Post
                            MIKE what are you talking about (YOUR DRIVING a MO PAR just bring the cooler so we can fill it with beer and watch Pork chop and others work on there cars and hand them wrenches YOU KNOW MOPARS DONT BREAK!!!!!!!!
                            I sure hope its that way... but I also go by Murphy's law... if you have a spare
                            part, that part wont break.... LOL

Comment

bring a harmonic balancer puller ..never know when a front seal will pop out..

Comment

Working...
                              X