Question For DW Guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
    Yes. And those who don't change tires for the strip are just needlessly burning up a set of expensive drag tires on the road. Hey, if those "Rockefellers" have money to burn . . . .

Besides, as many can testify, many of the DOT drag tires don't perform very well in the torrential rains that sometimes come during DW. Personally, I'd rather have the safety and economy of good all-season radials for the highway drives.
    Tim Taylor (68 Camaro) ran his M/T Drag radials for 4 years of drag weeks. Tom Taylor (79 Nova) ran his M/T's for at least 2 years plus bracket racing along with street miles. My M/T's have had 2 drag weeks so far, plus several test n tunes and probably 7-10k street miles. Do they suck in the rain. YUP! but just slow down and live with it.. it's not like we're driving a new car or anything.. (well most of us anyways) they are race cars we drive on the street!!
    Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
    Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
    Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
    Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

I ran my BFG Drag Radial's in the rain in both 2011 and 2012 with no issues.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I ran 275x60x15 MT DR in 2010 and there was no issue in the rain they worked fine... In 2013 I ran 315x60x15 MT DR and it was a problem... Think the wider tire let it hydroplane will run the DR this year also and have 54 passes on them... Thats wrong I ran the 275 and slicks around 8-10 passes so say 45 passes on them
        Last edited by quick 52; January 24, 2014, 10:35 AM.
        Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
        Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

Same here. We ran 275x60x15 MT DR both 2012 & 2013. No issues. 55Chevy @ 4100#
          sigpic

Comment

tire width seems to have more to do with it than anything else.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

[QUOTE=NewEnglandRaceFan;839188 kinda shocked no ones made alum jack stands yet.. bonus is the jacks handle can be used as the cheater bar if needed[/QUOTE]

I have a set I got a harbor freight back in 07. They work great for this event.
              86 Mustang
              454 LSX FTI ls3 Mast 4500 Holley EFI 8" with C4, FTI Hyd Roller 9.24 143.5 1.33 3.73 5.84 116.21

Comment

I ran front runners and Hoosier quick time slicks the whole time on dw13. Still look almost new when I got home. Yes they suck in the rain 20mph and sliding around,I'm sure the spooled rear didn't help either.
                78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

The standard M/t drag radials with their curved sipes really seem to make a difference in the rain. I drove on the 325/50's, lot's of width. I switched to the Hoosiers which only have the two very shallow straight grooves, much worse in the wet, but much more forgiving at the strip.
                  Last edited by CDMBill; January 27, 2014, 08:53 PM.
                  Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                    The standard M/t draf radials with their curved sipes really seem to make a difference in the rain. I drove on the 325/50's, lot's of width. I switched to the Hoosiers which only have the two very shallow straight grooves, much worse in the wet, but much more forgiving at the strip.
                    X2 on the Hoosiers I use them in 2009 and they do hook better but wear much faster than the MT and are worst in the rain.
                    Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
                    Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

• Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                      Yes. And those who don't change tires for the strip are just needlessly burning up a set of expensive drag tires on the road. Hey, if those "Rockefellers" have money to burn . . . .

Besides, as many can testify, many of the DOT drag tires don't perform very well in the torrential rains that sometimes come during DW. Personally, I'd rather have the safety and economy of good all-season radials for the highway drives.
                      To be honest I could care less about burning up the race tires on the road..
                      one year when I was riding with Dale(Quick52) we stripped lugs on most
                      of the stops... no thanks (it was just the lugs in the wheel causing friction
                      and breaking things

It's a PITA that my copilot handles in about three minutes.

Trailers are a PITA....always.

I dont think so at all... plus you have a big back seat area and a trunk..
                      which I have NONE

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                        Mike - where did you get the hardware for the slide out? How many pounds is it rated for?

I like the vice idea allot. I'm still waffling about a generator and my 110 mig flux core, just in case, and a small compressor, and and and and....

I hope to borrow a friends dewalt cordless impact - it's fantastic - but not $300+ I want to spend for a once a year need.
                        This set of sliders is rated at 350# for 10,000 cycles.... I dont think I have anything
                        to worry about.... I bought them on line
                        EDIT
                        I use 2" X 2" alum angle bolted to the bed and the sliders bolt
                        to the alum... worked out perfect... the set I used locks in and out
                        and is 40" long
                        Last edited by MR P-BODY; February 2, 2014, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Mike, I may copy that idea if I have time to put together a covered trailer for this year.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                            Thanks Mike, I may copy that idea if I have time to put together a covered trailer for this year.
                            The sliders were 3" tall and a width of 3/4"... I ended up with .030 per side which
                            is their + spec... with the - spec at zero... when I get back home I'll mount a couple
                            of fold up landing legs on the back of the trailer then paint the thing to match the truck

Comment

Working...
                            X