Routes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poison gas View Post
    I agree with you Jim, I'd rather spend money on old paid for junk than make a payment on a new car that will be loosing value faster than you can pay it off.
    I've done that at times as well. But if everyone did that, the flow of performance parts and vehicles from the OEMs would dry up.

Someone thirty years from now will be thankful for my choices.

Comment

"if everyone did that".....isn't something we have to worry about.

I can't find many parts on cars only 30 years old to use on my junk.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        "I can't find many parts on cars only 30 years old to use on my junk.
        Not every rodder in A.D. 2044 will want a ~ 90-year-old shoebox or a 1960s engine . . . .

Last edited by 38P; February 5, 2014, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
          I forgot the world revolves around you.
          Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          "if everyone did that".....isn't something we have to worry about.
          uhh....
          My fabulous web page

Comment

Therefore, every rational being must so act as if he were through his maxim always a legislating member in the universal kingdom of ends. ”

—Immanuel Kant, Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals
            I don't expect you to understand the categorical imperative or its antecedents in certain religious literature. Nor do I care that you apparently fail to grasp that if enough people hadn't bought new '55 Chevys, instead of building "traditional" rods or something else, your parts supplies would be even more limited.

Comment

Will you girls just kiss and make up, this is already going down the drain.
              1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
              1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

The reality is most people view cars as just an appliance... The good news is they will always be buying new ones. Bad news is design is increasingly geared toward that...

What is deemed a "new car" and what is "old car" changes depending on who you are talking to... For most people on this forum, my '87 would be considered one of them thar new fangled car, by most of society it would be "ancient". (It is now old enough to (and does) run a historical plate!)

Comment

I don't expect you to understand the categorical imperative or its antecedents in certain religious literature.
                  Good...since I consider religion to be a bunch of bullshit.

I don't expect you to understand that the "if everyone did it..." argument is wasted on me. I know that hardly anyone does what I do.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

The categorical imperative is not "religion," it's secular philosophy. Enough of the thread hijack. We're never going to find any common ground. Have a nice day.

Comment

The categorical imperative is not "religion," it's secular philosophy. Enough of the thread hijack. We're never going to find any common ground. Have a nice day.
                      Now that everyone has kissed and made up, lets get back to the thread at hand.

Drag Week is brutal unless you are in a pure cruiser, and then it's still brutal because you are stopping to help guys all the time and getting no sleep.

With that said, it's also the most fun you can have with cars with your clothes on.

The pace is not a big deal as long as you have no breakdowns, but some guys will be cruising along much faster than others. Larry Larson regularly cruises between 75-80 in his Chevy II and I even had trouble keeping up with him in an almost new Suburban two years ago. If you stick with a group, which most people do, then you'll figure out a pace that works for everyone and you'll have more fun. In the dream world you can stop at a roadside joint for fried food and icecream, a cool photo opp, or whatever. If you have problems, things get different in a hurry, but nobody will leave you stranded. And gas mileage isn't a huge concern outside of the cost. The truth is most guys want to get out of the car every couple hours anyway to stretch their legs, eat the aforementioned ice cream, and refuel. It's not the Bullrun.
                      "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Originally posted by BangShiftChad View Post
                        . It's not the Bullrun.
                        Unless you broke at the track and need to make up time

Its funny. Cars like mine are more worried about breaking on the track where as many of the cars are comfortable on the track and the road is the concern! Pick your compromises well!
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by BangShiftChad View Post
                          The truth is most guys want to get out of the car every couple hours anyway to stretch their legs, eat the aforementioned ice cream, and refuel.
                          That's it right there....
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by 38P View Post
                            I don't expect you to [rest of the quoted deleted...]
                            Looks like Speedy has changed is user name again... Not sure if I know/understand the reference to this new one... My only guess would his number for a prior Drag Week...
                            Last edited by c2xejk; February 5, 2014, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Delete

:P
                              Last edited by Orange65; February 5, 2014, 03:38 PM.
                              Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

I run a overdrive 700R4 and cruse at 75 or so. But I still swap lead places with cars cruising at 55. like chad said the cars we drive are not like a CTS I want out every 200 miles to stretch and refill. If I take my Camaro this year 28" tire 4.30 gears and no OD.
                                Drag Week 2006 11.00 index DNF
                                Drag Week 2011 DD
                                Drag week 2012 Hot Rod Winner
                                Drag week 2013 Hot Rod Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X