No announcement yet.

Routes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one of the driving factors of my t56 swap was the cruising part of dragweek. can't wait to try my hand at it.
    http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ps24d553b8.jpg
    Join The Militia

Comment

Originally posted by 79camaro View Post
      if i take my camaro this year 28" tire 4.30 gears and no od.
      this.
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I'm building a tin can that would sound nice with 4.30s
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          I'm building a tin can that would sound nice with 4.30s
          like mine

Comment

After reading all this, I'm feeling better about my 3.70 gear 28" tire no OD car.

Comment

there's a bunch of us goin about ~65mph!!
              My 53 has a 3.73 with a 26" tire and no OD.
              Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
              Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
              Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
              Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

Originally posted by LAGNAF View Post
                there's a bunch of us goin about ~65mph!!
                My 53 has a 3.73 with a 26" tire and no OD.
                You should be able to fit a set of 28" under that truck for street driving. It would make a big difference.
                Drag Week 2006 11.00 index DNF
                Drag Week 2011 DD
                Drag week 2012 Hot Rod Winner
                Drag week 2013 Hot Rod Winner

Comment

Originally posted by 79camaro View Post
                  You should be able to fit a set of 28" under that truck for street driving. It would make a big difference.
                  That's in the plan if. I mean a big if I had an extra $600 for a set of welds and tires.. ;)
                  Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
                  Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
                  Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
                  Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

I like Keiths plan - short slicks, tall road tires.

The rpm isn't just a fuel killer, it's also more wear on parts, more heat, etc etc.

For insurance - even with direct top gear (1:1) run the tallest all season you can fit in the wheel well on the road, and the shortest slick you can to get through the traps at your desired rpm without bouncing off the rev limiter or floating the valves at 1000ft...

Stock steel wheels from a junkyard and some used truck tires shouldn't hurt the pocket book much...
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post

The rpm isn't just a fuel killer, it's also more wear on parts, more heat, etc etc.

For insurance - even with direct top gear (1:1) run the tallest all season you can fit in the wheel well on the road, and the shortest slick you can to get through the traps at your desired rpm without bouncing off the rev limiter or floating the valves at 1000ft...

Stock steel wheels from a junkyard and some used truck tires shouldn't hurt the pocket book much...
                      Depending on the combo higher RPM can help the fuel mileage. In 2012 I ran 3800-4000RPM most of the time on the last leg and got almost 15mpg due to the converter locking up more and maybe closer to the torque peak. However, I just can't make myself let it turn that much RPM the whole trip LOL.
                      1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                      1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
                        Depending on the combo higher RPM can help the fuel mileage. In 2012 I ran 3800-4000RPM most of the time on the last leg and got almost 15mpg due to the converter locking up more and maybe closer to the torque peak. However, I just can't make myself let it turn that much RPM the whole trip LOL.
                        When I was riding with Dale(Quick52) he did a bit better on MPG when he upped the
                        rpm to get closer to the torque.... with his OD and lock up he can cruise at a pretty low
                        rpm... well below his torque peak.... I set my car up to cruise at 75 mph but its not bad
                        at 60 mph.. still close enough to the torque.... thats with a .69 OD, 4.10 gear and 295/55..
                        on that trans I can keep the OD on all the time and flip the switch for race mode

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          Jeff would make his car look like a John Deere tractor if he could fit those kind of tires on his Malibu, lol.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by MR P-BODY View Post
                            When I was riding with Dale(Quick52) he did a bit better on MPG when he upped the
                            rpm to get closer to the torque.... with his OD and lock up he can cruise at a pretty low
                            rpm... well below his torque peak.... I set my car up to cruise at 75 mph but its not bad
                            at 60 mph.. still close enough to the torque.... thats with a .69 OD, 4.10 gear and 295/55..
                            on that trans I can keep the OD on all the time and flip the switch for race mode
                            As Mike has said I do get better mpg at 2500rpm than 2100rpm... And stepping up in tire size from 28" to 30" last year it hurt the mpg more... Did not effect the ET stay the same have ran my best ET with the 30" tires...Im using a 3.89 gear now been think about going up to a 4.30 don't think it will hurt mpg or ET. but will make the cruise easier with OD it wants to buck below 1600 rpm.. Plus this year I lower the stall from 4500 to 3600... The thinking was if all the stars align and if I hit it with 200hp of nitrous with the 3.89 and 30" tires mite get a 9.99 out of it have been a best of 10.54 with 125 hit
                            Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
                            Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

Originally posted by quick 52 View Post
                              As Mike has said I do get better mpg at 2500rpm than 2100rpm... And stepping up in tire size from 28" to 30" last year it hurt the mpg more... Did not effect the ET stay the same have ran my best ET with the 30" tires...Im using a 3.89 gear now been think about going up to a 4.30 don't think it will hurt mpg or ET. but will make the cruise easier with OD it wants to buck below 1600 rpm.. Plus this year I lower the stall from 4500 to 3600... The thinking was if all the stars align and if I hit it with 200hp of nitrous with the 3.89 and 30" tires mite get a 9.99 out of it have been a best of 10.54 with 125 hit
                              Was does the mileage matter when you only go to leonard and the coffee shop( Might as well put a 530 gear in it)!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
                                T56 in your nitrous car? That'll be a fun ride down the track. I don't know that I'll make it to DW14 as I'm hopefully changing employers, but I'll be watching on the live feed for the green 3 pedal 3rd Gen...
                                Yep, it was a factory 5spd car and I ran a T56 for quite awhile. I've always been a huge advocate of stick cars, especially the t56's. The clutch pedal and master cylinder have never left the car. lol It went 10.30's way back when on a small 125 shot. I hope to run 10.0's or high 9's just like it did with the th350.

My daily driver is a '99 Trans Am convertible that was an auto/2.73 car my wife used to drive. I swapped a t56 and 4.10's in it, drive it 550 miles a week, and average 22mpg. I must have some kind of disease... lmao
                                '91 Trans Am GTA: 402ci LS2, faceplated T56, 9", and nitrous.
                                2013 Drag Week SURVIVOR! - SR/SB/PA & 2014 Drag Week SURVIVOR! - SR/SB/NA

Comment

Working...
                                X