2014 Drag Week Scholarship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
    What is the most likely to be close by parts store to most of these tracks.. (no idea never been to that part of the country) I'll add a 50.00 gift card to a parts store that would be local to the tracks.. so if they need something. they can get it.. Advanced auto(now owns car quest) would be the best choice as they spend 50 and they'd get a coupon for 25 off their next order.. when ordered online&pick up instore(and at d/w you'd most like order from a tablet/smart phone). I'd throw my name in the hat.. but with my health. and vehicle still in pieces. it would be pointless maybe '15
    Great offer, Tulsa has advance, autozone, orielly, napa, and pep boys. We also have a great speed shop, Grand Prix Auto.
    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

If Pep Boys is back as a sponsor, they'll have a parts trailer at the tracks . . . Not a bad idea to support the sponsors.

Comment

whoa, cool idea^^
        http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ps24d553b8.jpg
        Join The Militia

Comment

Originally posted by ksuhre View Post
          As an alumni of Freiburger University (affectionately referred to as "F.U." or "Drag Week"), I would like to pay-it-forward a bit and offer a scholarship to DW '14 for an enrolled Freshman (a.k.a. Newbie). The scholarship application requires the following:
          1.) You have never been to Drag Week as a participant.
          2.) You write a short bit about yourself and your ride on this thread.
          3.) You manage to get registered in the 260-car field and then post your registration number.
          4.) Your spouse (or girl/boy friend), Mom and Dad all refuse to let you spend money on something as silly as Drag Week.

I will put all the names that qualify in a hat, then drink a beer or two and select a winner. The winner will receive reimbursement of the registration fee plus $250.00 for gas. I will also reveal to the winner several upperclassmen secrets on how survive DW on a budget (e.g. camp like two-time HotRod winner Tom Dziengel, get free margaritas from SB/NA winner Jake Stelter after he has had too many, don't eat because you feel sick from heat exhaustion...).

Let the games begin!
          Kerby
          That is one COOL gesture.... you are THE MAN

Comment

I wasn't expecting the rides to be so cool!!! I also realize that in true "Freiburger figure it out as I go" fashion, I need to add a couple things...
            - I need to see a picture of your ride, so far everyone has posted one except Hooter. I know he is hiding this from his wife, but it's time to man-up and post a picture.
            - I would also like to know at least a first name, since I get all these online "handles" confused.
            - I want the winner to know quickly, so I will only wait about a week after registration opens before I pick a winner. Get me your registration numbers as soon as you can.

I knew the other alumni would step up huge, so here's the deal... I won't be at DW '14, I'll be living vicariously thru whomever wins. Please find the winner and the other newbies that applied for the scholarship and give them the beer, gas cards, Pep Boys gift cards and anything else you want. Then go kick their butt on the dragstrip, make fun of them as they ask silly questions like "How do they expect us to get to a checkpoint when the directions are completely wrong!?" and welcome them to DW!

Kerby

Comment

I guess I probably ought to enter. My car. My Name is Jonathan Smith

I heard about dragweek from BBR (James Pringle). I work with him and sit close to where we share things that we are looking at and enable each others upgrades and parts orders. I sat here at my desk the two years that James went to dragweek and watched them on the computer, with the exception of the year they came to amarillo, I went to the track that day. I have known about it for a few years now and just think it is probably the ultimate test of what I am trying to build. So now James has enabled me to enter Dragweek.

A little about the car I bought it about 3 years ago. It was sitting in front of a junkyard in Kennedale, Texas. My cousin found it and wanted to buy it. He couldn't so I decided I would go get it.

Brought it home and started cleaning on it and get it running correctly. I missed out on racing that first year because I didn't trust it at all.

Then I rebuild the whole frontend over a brake line breaking and finding all of the bushing in the front end dried out and falling apart. I upgraded to the newer style fox front brakes and stainless braided brake lines.

This winter I decided to upgrade the motor at this point the fastest it has ran is a 15.11. I am tired of being the slowest guy at the track. Didn't really bother me I was having a blast getting used to the car and getting it down the track rowing the gears.
              I am hoping to be alot faster this year still won't be competitive with the dragweek guys. I am not sure what class I will be running in yet whether street race SB/NA or daily driver. Either way I intend to go and have a blast and meet some of these crazy people that I have only seen on the internet.

When I saw this thread I really couldn't believe that someone would be that generous to do this for a newbie to all that is dragweek. Thank you very much for the chance to have a little relief to the expense that this endeavor will be.

I can't wait till registration opens up so I can secure my slot and get ready for the ride of my life.

A big thanks goes to James Pringle "BBR" for convincing me to buy the 84 Mustang and that I could build it.
              Last edited by JWS4621; February 14, 2014, 09:43 AM.

Comment

JWS4621, good to hear that BBR is building up the Ford Drag Team out in Helium Country . . . Nice Fox!

These entries are great. I want to see 'em all in person. I don't envy Kerby's task in picking a winner.

Comment

<<<<<<
                  Last edited by BBR; February 14, 2014, 09:53 AM.
                  Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                  1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                  1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                  1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                  1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                  1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Name's Brad Shoemaker. Had trouble loading a pic so hope this video is OK. This with the old engine. Video taken by my drunken(shaky) copilot for Drag Week this year.
                    Last edited by Guest; February 14, 2014, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Walter View Post
                      Such a cool truck man! please tell me you're keeping the door handle location! maybe not practical but it's cooooool!
                      handy for "little people"..

cool truck BTW!!

I wanted to do an old Kenworth cab over basically the same way, but put a gas inline 6 in it..
                      Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
                      Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
                      Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
                      Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

Ok Kerby- Bravo for getting this started-great idea!! I have a couple questions-
                        Although I have been on DW, it has not been as a registered driver. I loaned my Judge to another to compete, and I went along.
                        Does that disqualify me from entering into the prestigious FU university scholorship?
                        the loaned out DW car from 12'
                        Attached Files
                        HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                        DW- 12,16,17
                        "Stay thirsty my friends"
                        The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Originally posted by RAIV70Judge View Post
                          Ok Kerby- Bravo for getting this started-great idea!! I have a couple questions-
                          Although I have been on DW, it has not been as a registered driver. I loaned my Judge to another to compete, and I went along.
                          Does that disqualify me from entering into the prestigious FU university scholorship?
                          the loaned out DW car from 12'
                          Yep, you were a participant (equivalent to a student that audits a class at a university that actually deserves the "presitigious" title). You will have to pay full tuition
                          P.S. I love the pic I took of your car at the end of DW '12...
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1026.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	876428
                          Last edited by ksuhre; February 14, 2014, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooter View Post

Name's Brad Shoemaker. Had trouble loading a pic so hope this video is OK. This with the old engine. Video taken by my drunken(shaky) copilot for Drag Week this year.
                            Sweet car but with the (RT) you better stay in a class category
                            Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
                            Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

Ahhh....very good then. Again-cudos for a great thing you and the other "donors" are doing!
                              And.....it is great to be an Alumni of a prestigious university... I also love the picture you took-its hanging in my spare bedroom!
                              Thanks again.
                              HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                              DW- 12,16,17
                              "Stay thirsty my friends"
                              The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Originally posted by quick 52 View Post
                                Sweet car but with the (RT) you better stay in a class category
                                While I don't claim to cut the quickest lights, this was a bracket race. Had to give the other guy a little head start.

Comment

Working...
                                X