Anyone Drive Their Entry To/From DW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Drive Their Entry To/From DW?

Just curious if anyone drives the car they plan on racing to/from DW? IF I manage to get in on the field (first timer). I plan on driving my entry. Just under 1300 miles one way. Not really for any reason other than it'll be wayyyy cheaper than towing and that's the only way DW won't make a big dent in my bank account.

I've driven to it for 9 years. The only time I used a trailer was 07, I had two cars going that year and one was not done- finished the tune with Dieselgeek the night before lol. Most people do trailer. I don't blame them. I'm ready to not be around the cobra after DW for a while.
    used to be purplecobra, now just myself. I still drive a mustang!!!!!

Comment

I build my junk to drive everywhere. Otherwise it's not a vehicle I want to own. But then all my stuff is slow as hell.

Comment

drove my 55 there and back in 11, hauled it in 13 because the blower started making noise right before we were supposed to leave.

Long drive from AZ
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

We have driven a total of approx 7K miles during the past two DW's, in our ole hot rod.
          Factoids: 2 tons of fun, 70 MPH, @2400 RPM, 4:10 rear gear, BBC, 12 MPG, M/T 275 drag radials, 28 inch dia.
          Living the dream-Making memories!
          sigpic

Comment

shiped van to usa then 600 miles to track DW1400 miles ,then route 66 to vegas then hotrod at LA.docks then home 4500 miles no tow car no trailer and no support crew .just friend from the track. time of our lives go live the dream and prove to you and all its a true STREET CAR ..good luck WACKY MICK ENGLAND

Comment

Always drove my car too and from the start of DW. Longest drive was to Tulsa I am from Wisconsin. I did trailer the Camaro back in 06 from MI because I spun a few bearings.
              Drag Week 2006 11.00 index DNF
              Drag Week 2011 DD
              Drag week 2012 Hot Rod Winner
              Drag week 2013 Hot Rod Winner

Comment

In 2010 I put a 1971 Dodge Charger on a trailer to get to Hebron, OH from Michigan but the transmission on the tow vehicle broke before I got to the dragstrip, only 80 miles away. After a tow to a shop in Marion, OH and arranging for a transmission replacement, the Charger came off the trailer and arrived at National Trail Raceway a half-hour before registration was closed.

Comment

Trailered mine last year. Trailering this year also so I'll be closer to my tow vehicle if my junk breaks.
                  78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

My brother and I drove last year, 2200 miles each way, logged 5700 miles by the time I made it home! wouldn't have it any other way!

Comment

Drove to BG last year (600miles) but some friends came and trailered us home. Truck was fine, I was beat. I do plan on driving to and from DW this year. I'm 22 miles from the track.
                      Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Originally posted by guidos View Post
                        My brother and I drove last year, 2200 miles each way, logged 5700 miles by the time I made it home! wouldn't have it any other way!
                        Hard Core Guys
                        Drag Week 2006 11.00 index DNF
                        Drag Week 2011 DD
                        Drag week 2012 Hot Rod Winner
                        Drag week 2013 Hot Rod Winner

Comment

I drove out there in 2011 and 2012, and the car that is normally very reliable let me down in 2013 on the way to Bowling Green. I too am slow though.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I trailered my buddies truck all 3 years he/we went....I learned YEARS ago... if
                            I'm racing I will trailer it.. I blew a axle and the rear end one time with out a
                            trailer and it cost to get it home... I built a trailer for the next time out.. ever
                            since its on/in the trailer.... I'm sure the guys that plowed into the wall last year
                            would have loved to just load it up and head home instead of fixing it out on the
                            road a few times... they did drive it something like 2200 miles all busted up
                            EDIT
                            My trailer has LQ in it so it saves on rooms also during
                            the travel time
                            Last edited by MR P-BODY; February 15, 2014, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I drove to and from in 2013, 740 miles one way according to map quest, 4:10 gears, 28" tire, 65-70 mph is about 3000-3500 rpm (no o.d.).
                              My stuff is pretty slow also, averaged about 10 mpg, I will do it again if I get in.
                              Last edited by officer lawnmower; February 16, 2014, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X