DD top 32 Cutoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD top 32 Cutoff

Wondering what its going to take to make the top 32 in DD. I really want to get in the bracket race.

I don't recall the number it took to get in last year but the end of the field was tight! I was #11(I think) with an 11.59 and I think anything slower than an 11.8 average didn't get you in.

I'm a little worried about the cutoff this year but I have figured a few things out and its faster than it was last year so I hope I'm good.
    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

He is correct, an 11.9 average did not get me in the field last year. The year before, a 12.1 would have made the field of 32. The 11.49 roll bar requirement is going to make it interesting. Not many that have nice or unique daily drivers will want to add a roll bar just to play in the field of 32.

Comment

Ross was 32 with an 11.90, Kirby was 33 with an 11.95. I missed the field with a 12.28 average, despite having an 11.48, two 11.49s, and an 11.37, that I couldn't turn because of no bar. It's an ongoing discussion at my house, because both the 66 Satellite and 67 Belvedere are capable of going under 11.50, but I really don't want to put a bar in them! My daughter Rachael is really lobbying hard for one, but I think we are still a few years away from a sub 11.50 quick 32. I'll guess the 2014 bump at 11.78...

Comment

Originally posted by ksuhre View Post
          He is correct, an 11.9 average did not get me in the field last year. The year before, a 12.1 would have made the field of 32. The 11.49 roll bar requirement is going to make it interesting. Not many that have nice or unique daily drivers will want to add a roll bar just to play in the field of 32.
          This is why I believe they should break the class in half.. a 11.50 quickest
          and a 10.0 quickest... quickest 16 cars from each for the last day bracket
          race.... its getting to be if you dont have a roll bar you wouldnt be in.... JMO

Comment

Your right Kerby ,This wiil be my eighth year doing this and evey year DD gets faster. Barely squeak in last year. But as you say I probably want make it this year because I refuse to put a roll bar in my car. And I should be real close to the 11.50 if everything goes as planned and I think that wont be fast enough. OH well It will be fun. Sorry to here your passing but it is a long way

Comment

Actually, the cut-off in 2012 was right at 12.9/13.00. (Without the rain-delay, it would have been around 12.8, but some potential qualifiers had to leave Tulsa before "overtime") The all eleven-second-or-quicker field of 2013 was a huge E.T. jump in one year.

I'm going to be surprised if any more than twenty of the DDs that finish are legal below 11.49. (I'm rounding this number way up because I suspect a lot of DDers got the message last year that it will take a low-11 second car to be safely in the Quick 32)

Thus, the competition is really for probably about 15-or-so slots between 11.50 and 11.70. The spread between the quickest non-roll-bar vehicle "in the show" and the No. 32 qualifier could narrow even to a single tenth if everything falls just right.

With 100+ entries, they really should either expand the bracket race one round (to 64) or split it into two separate divisions. There's not really much "daily driver" left in DD, IMHO.

Comment

I don't get the no roll bar thing. It doesn't shred a car and you can put a removable door bar in. I put one in when my car ran low 12s and its a somewhat rare car. I did it too late though, it had already bent one of the doors and ripped a door striker out after hundreds and hundreds of passes.
                1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

A legal roll bar with a fixed crossbar makes the back seat hard for non-gearheads to use (and No, Squirrel, I'm not interested in debating this point again).

If Mrs. 38P wouldn't have said "no" to a bar in the "storebought" Coyote, I could have gotten where I need to be a whole lot cheaper than building a whole other car (It didn't make much sense to install 10.00 of $$$$ power adder if the car would never be allowed to run quicker than 11.50).

Comment

A roll bar in a truck is a bit more invasive. My 53 wont ever have a bar in it. It's been in the family since 1953. I can't /wont cut it up..

So my goal is 11.50. I only have a couple more tenths to go!!
                    Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
                    Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
                    Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
                    Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

Originally posted by LAGNAF View Post
                      A roll bar in a truck is a bit more invasive. My 53 wont ever have a bar in it. It's been in the family since 1953. I can't /wont cut it up..
                      Good point.

I've occasionally wondered if an "exobar" (Baja-style bed-mounted main hoop) could pass tech if the door bars bolted through the back cab bulkhead to the main bar with Grade 8 bolts? Or would the main hoop be too far from the driver's helmet? And could the harness mounts be made compliant with a through-the-bulkhead mount?

Comment

Originally posted by 38P View Post
                        A legal roll bar with a fixed crossbar makes the back seat hard for non-gearheads to use (and No, Squirrel, I'm not interested in debating this point again).
                        There's no debate? you're wrong. 90k miles....facts are facts.

although if you have a car with an already useless too-small back seat, then it does hamper things a little more.
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

There you have it, sports fans!

BTW, I frequently haul passengers in my allegedly "already useless too-small back seat" . . . .
                          Last edited by 38P; May 8, 2014, 09:26 AM.

Comment

great...I frequently haul passengers in my totally inaccessible because of the crossbar back seat.

You do what you want to do. It's your choice, it's not that it can't be done.
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm putting bars in my 53 next week .... It's already capable of mid 10s plus for me it's piece of mind

Comment

Working...
                              X