No announcement yet.

DD top 32 Cutoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The NHRA rules specify a welded crossbar. See below. What they will actually check at the Drag Week Track Tech inpsection is another matter altogether. This is not advice but some well placed tape or padding might get you by based on what I've seen before. Jealous competitors might see it differently. IIRC there has only been one formal protest in DW history, and that for an outrageous and altogether despicable cheater. As to the roll bar, the whole thing can be bolted in and out reletively easy with a swing out bar set up so you could just remove it for the rest of the year with a bit of hassle. Trucks are just screwed as I see it.

Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I thought it was too good to be true. Oh well looks like the kids will have to climb under the bar. Thanks for the info.
      Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
      The NHRA rules specify a welded crossbar. See below. What they will actually check at the Drag Week Track Tech inpsection is another matter altogether. This is not advice but some well placed tape or padding might get you by based on what I've seen before. Jealous competitors might see it differently. IIRC there has only been one formal protest in DW history, and that for an outrageous and altogether despicable cheater. As to the roll bar, the whole thing can be bolted in and out reletively easy with a swing out bar set up so you could just remove it for the rest of the year with a bit of hassle. Trucks are just screwed as I see it.

Comment

Once again, we get down to "What the NHRA rulebook says", vs. What you can get through tech with at 95% of the Drag Strips in this country. Gotta removable crossbar? Padding over the bolt together sections is never going to get checked in the typical tech inspection, seriously most tech guys open the door and see a side bar and a main hoop, then pull out the shoe polish and write 10.0 on the bck glass quicker than it take me to type this! Another option that I have seen pass many times. No passenger side bar, as per the above drawing, now run the cross bar from the floor on the passenger's side, to the curve at the top of the hoop on the driver's side, then add a half bar behind the driver for a roll bar seatbelt mount. This allows easy access to the back seat from the passengers side.

Both my 66 Satellite, which I've driven 38 miles round trip to work 3-4 times a week since Drag Week 2013, and the 67 Belvedere that Rachael drove, are true daily drivers, and I love the fact that 5 people can pile in anytime and go anywhere. With mild 13.00 440 power and a big shot plate that will push them easily to the 11.50 barrier, I'm not going to put a bar in. I've got 3 other cars with cages if I want to go faster.

Comment

Hindsight 20/20 I would have gone with a 6-point bar with a removable door bar. I did the full cage because I was 21 and in my mind back then my car would be running 8.50s by now. The reality check is that its only .7 faster than it was 15 years ago lol.
          1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
          1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

some well placed tape or padding might get you by based on what I've seen before.
            Bee [cough] . . . Bee [cough] . . . Arrrrrr [cough] . . . . [cough, cough]
            Last edited by 38P; May 9, 2014, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
              remember when you didnt have to say "only" a 12 second car? sigh, it USED to be fast...
              It still is 51 weeks of the year and to about 99.9% of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by 38P View Post

Bee [cough] . . . Bee [cough] . . . Arrrrrr [cough] . . . . [cough, cough]
                Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Just out of curiosity, would a nitrous controller be illegal for DD. I will be running a small shot to get as close to 11.50 as possible. I see in the rules it says no bracket style electronics. Is that just a brake and delay box?

Comment

Originally posted by abritton77 View Post
                    Just out of curiosity, would a nitrous controller be illegal for DD. I will be running a small shot to get as close to 11.50 as possible. I see in the rules it says no bracket style electronics. Is that just a brake and delay box?
                    A nitrous controller would not be "bracket-style electronics" IMO, any more than a boost controller, line lock, or a staged nitrous system would be.

Bracket electronic boxes are stuff like delay boxes, stutter boxes, throttle stops, etc. which have the sole function of making for a less quick E.T. or a more consistent reaction time (which helps keep a car from breaking out and can be used to quickly and more precisely dial in a car to the track).

A nitrous controller helps manage traction and engine life, with E.T. increases as only a collateral function.

My seat-of-the-pants rule would be that if its something you see on "heads up" cars, it's not really "bracket-style electronics."
                    Last edited by 38P; May 9, 2014, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I believe 32 car field will be under 11.40 If u run under I think they give u a 10.80 ( correct safety equipment) 009-2012 I was in top ten,2013 faster and I was 18th, Faster is good. Never gone to a Drag race to lose

Comment

After last years close call with a Red Mustang a roll bar is highly recommend. you could be a 12 sec car running against a 9 sec car leaving off the line late on boost and take you out at half track. Think about safety.
                        Drag Week 2006 11.00 index DNF
                        Drag Week 2011 DD
                        Drag week 2012 Hot Rod Winner
                        Drag week 2013 Hot Rod Winner

Comment

Originally posted by 1956NY150 View Post
                          I believe 32 car field will be under 11.40
                          That means that at least 32 DDs with roll bars would have to show up and finish the week. That's never happened.

Comment

Originally posted by 38P View Post

That means that at least 32 DDs with roll bars would have to show up and finish the week. That's never happened.
                            Thats the reason I feel it should be broke into 2 groups.. bar
                            and no bar(11.50 and 10.0)... otherwise the no bar guys wont
                            have much of a shot... if any

Comment

Originally posted by MR P-BODY View Post

Thats the reason I feel it should be broke into 2 groups.. bar
                              and no bar(11.50 and 10.0)... otherwise the no bar guys wont
                              have much of a shot... if any
                              That is on their shoulders though.
                              1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                              1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

so if the inspiration was TLB, here's the "daily driver" with a roll bar in it.

I used to see cars with fiberglass tilt front ends on the street when I was a kid, being driven daily. Not sure I get "Fastest Streetcar" and "no cage even if I need one" racing in the same sentence. Maybe it's too black and white for me - you're either at your limits and don't want it to go much faster, and potentially lose out, or you put a bar in your street car and deal with it and then get pissed off when your 10.79 gets tossed (daily driver).

for the record, I'd pad the hell out of that bar above. God they hurt when you whack it with your bare skull.

/edit 2 ... 32 cars between 10.80 and 11.49 would make for much more interesting bracket racing.

/edit 3 - it's Drag Week. Maybe there should be one class and you have to be tech legal for your time/speed.
                                Last edited by Beagle; May 12, 2014, 10:44 AM.
                                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X