Drag week was a blast and efi system help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag week was a blast and efi system help

This was my and my dad's first time going on drag week and was a blast dispite our clutch problem. The plan to have the new clutch installed at great bend did not go so well after zero sleep wrenching through the night the new system was just not going to work at least not with out a bellhousing spacer. All and all we had the best time and already planning for next year. EFI systems? Have always used carbs ready to make the switch over. looking to see what you guys would recomend using or who I should contact. Any help would sure be appreciated. Thank you

I'm just finishing up my fuel injection... I went with the Holley unit
    multiport.. one down from the top(only difference was the amount
    of input signals.. its a self learning system so its easier on the user
    but I worked in the fuel lab at Chrysler so I have a decent handle on
    injection but I still like the self learning type.. plus you can change the
    whole program or part of it for racing... if you meet Monte Smith in the
    NOS trailer, he is a rep for Holley and gave me a good price on the complete
    system... I had the equipment to machine for the injectors (that was part of
    what I did in the lab).. I didnt want to go with a throttle body injection but
    that is the easiest to install... I could have gone with FAST being I know
    one the the design guys there but I didnt mainly due to price
    EDIT
    Glad you and your dad had a good time.. I've been 3 times as 2nd seat
    for my buddy.. but we didnt go this year and I wasnt quite ready for this year
    but we really couldnt afford the price tag to go... next year if its east of the
    Mississippi we will go(of course if we get in)
    Last edited by MR P-BODY; September 16, 2014, 05:30 AM.

Comment

The Holley Dominator seems to be the way to go these days. Lots of people running it and lots of flexibility in the controller. It allows nitrous control, boost control, and electronic transmission control if you need them. And from what I have heard, Holley is really good at supporting it. However, if $$ is an issue, look at Megasquirt. It is a little more work, but a lot of people swear by them. And Dieselgeek (Scott Clark)- the guy that tuned Larson to the 6.16 second pass- is a member here and an expert in MS. He is very helpful.
      Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Happy to help here, EFI in general seems to make the "drive" portions of Drag Week go so much better. Good economy, no fouled plugs, happy cruising. It takes a little more work for EFI to be "guaranteed faster than your carburetor" at the track. There is a large learning curve on EFI, don't plan it as a small part of a bigger project - give yourself 2-3 months focused only on EFI to make sure you and your car are thinking and working properly. That's just how it is. Once you learn it, it's like second nature. There are a lot of benefits that come from the learning experience. Talk to guys that have been through it recently, they might have better guidance than I will. But I've been having a lot of success with EFI in general on Drag Week cars and think you would too.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

DieselGeek was a great help to me when assembling my MegaSquirt kit. Thanks again DG.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. Would the FAST ez efi 2.0 be a good system?

Comment

For cruising, I think yes. For WOT performance, I think a carburetor would be better. Or Port injection.

My opinion is that the "EZ" really isn't any easier than a normal XFI system to install. Both are 'self lerning' which you'll find shortly after installation, is not even necessary and kills a lot of fun. Most people don't trust me on this until they purchase, then come back with "you were right" so just a heads up. I'd go XFI and just face the learning curve with no marketing folks in your way.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Thank you very much that is what I will get. I'm looking froward to learning efi just want to make sure to start off with a good system and not what some ad says.

Comment

Scott, as long as the subject is up, I have thought about EFI for my Firebird. Butler has stated with the BOP intake I use they install the injectors underside of intake as to aim directly at the intake valve. Have you seen this work? Advice on who's system? I have a crank pickup already and only need to control engine parameters. 400 with a venders. No other need for controllers.
                  Chevy only, nice to meet you and your dad. Sorry to hear about the clutch issue from you in Great Bend. Good luck in the future
                  First place SSBBNA 2014 and 2015
                  Second place SSBBNA 2016
                  Third place SSBBNA 2017
                  Quickest ET in DD and Quickest Pontiac 2008, 2016 and 2017
                  All 13 years of Drag Week in a Black 1969 Pontiac with Pontiac Power

Comment

^^^ thank you. We got it figured out and making plans to hit great bend in a couple of weeks to test it. My dad caught the bug and is going to finish a Chevelle that's been a project for a few years now. Hope your guy's trip went well. We will see you next year.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the stand alones like megasquirt/fast xfi etc I am guessing u run a non ls engine in the Camaro. Start now, do a lot of research and be patient. The basics are all the same.
                      used to be purplecobra, now just myself. I still drive a mustang!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGTO View Post
                        Scott, as long as the subject is up, I have thought about EFI for my Firebird. Butler has stated with the BOP intake I use they install the injectors underside of intake as to aim directly at the intake valve. Have you seen this work? Advice on who's system? I have a crank pickup already and only need to control engine parameters. 400 with a venders. No other need for controllers.
                        Chevy only, nice to meet you and your dad. Sorry to hear about the clutch issue from you in Great Bend. Good luck in the future
                        We had an EZ-EFI on a Butler crate engine and it wouldn't run hardly at all. We switched to a standalone and it ran like a champ. I would recommend either of the vendors you like: Megasquirt-3, FAST-XFI, Holley HP. Megasquirt is cheaper and more online community supporting it. The other two have call centers with live agents that can give you tech support. Generally the best plan is to have a friend who has done EFI, help on your project to get you up and running more quickly. You will like the EFI for Drag Week I think! -Scott

Comment

Just having Dieselgeek around to ask questions of is a huge asset. He was tons of helpful when I was assembling my MS-2 kit, thanks again DG!
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Of course bottom line is what it does in 1320 feet compared to a carb. The drivability has to be great. Thank's Scott
                            First place SSBBNA 2014 and 2015
                            Second place SSBBNA 2016
                            Third place SSBBNA 2017
                            Quickest ET in DD and Quickest Pontiac 2008, 2016 and 2017
                            All 13 years of Drag Week in a Black 1969 Pontiac with Pontiac Power

Comment

DG will make it so your wife can fire it up in the middle of winter and ten seconds later back it out of the garage and head out to run errands
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X