No announcement yet.

2015 rule updates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say there's a lot less load on HRM if the alternates are making "after hours" passes and are limited in the number of runs they can make than if the field was just expanded to include the alternates from day one.

I'd also note that there really aren't any "lulls" during the first few days until the third (open) session, which is after the vast majority of competitors have run, loaded up, and headed on. So I don't think the alternates program would pose any risk to the "one and done" crowd.

Somebody who would pay a lot extra, wait all day. and then run after everyone but the locals are packing up . . . with no guarantee they'd ever be classified as a finisher would be hard core enough that they deserve a chance, IMHO. (On the other hand, I knew that the DW traditionalists would hate this idea)

Comment

sounds to me like it's just adding more complication. Why bother?
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

fastest woman award. would be nice to acknowledge them..would "fastest woman" be PC

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          . Why bother?
          More money to TEN (I'm envisioning the alternate registration fees to be about double the regular entry fee . . . which would probably limit demand to a reasonable number)

More hard core people get a chance to participate

Better show (remember those 50+ dropouts would be replaced by the quickest alternates . . . thus the event could be more competitive by Day 5)

Less exclusiveness (something to address the 8-minute sellout problem)

--------------------

On the other hand, it's always easier and simpler just to do nothing . . . .
          Last edited by 38P; September 18, 2014, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
            fastest woman award. would be nice to acknowledge them..would "fastest woman" be PC
            2X

I don't think anyone would mind special recognition . . . there are still too few females among the DW drivers, IMO.

Comment

The field is supposed to get smaller as the week goes on.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

Why? There's nothing inherently good about that, IMO. Especially if HRM is trying to maximize the spectator gate.

Comment

Well the problem I see is the field is still getting smaller as the week goes on if the alternates are all there on day 1 as well.... And still having over 200 cars is still plenty of a show. Heck, even 180 cars was still plenty of a show.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I like the idea of a no bar class in DD.

Allow a set limited and credentialed crew for unlimited . Legal "mules". BUT mules can only be used at the track.

64 car DD run off.

Some kind of stick only class

No trans rules in other classes

Maybe a small tire Muscle Car class ,like FAST,pre 74 , 6 or 7 inch wheel 100UTQG or greater tire.

No Fuel Rules, ok no "Fuel"

I happen to have no problem with trailers , I feel driving on your race tires is a bad idea. I also think small pop ups or 2 person type campers should be allowed , but somehow the contents does need to be limited. By weight? Content ? Size ? NOTHING hanging off the sides of the "legal" trailer. A 4ft wide trailer with a pair of slicks hanging off the sides is now a 7ft wide trailer.
                    Unlimited Mules MOST travel directly to next race and set up a pit area.

Comment

7" slicks for gassers....

My fabulous web page

Comment

I seldom comment on rules because I get the occasional glimpse of what level of hell it is for guys like DF, Finnegan, Keith to create them.

So general observations:

(1) figure out how to accomodate more cars. Maybe have the event more often? no idea really, but there is HUGE demand to participate. Try to create more supply IMO.
                        (2) Keep it at tracks like Tulsa. It's hard to explain how awesome that place, and the people who run it, is/are. For real. Dinger and all those guys are SUPER accomodating, I see them doing things for the lowliest of participants and spectators, same as they treat the high profile guys. I can't say enough good about the people who run that place, and wish Tom Compton would have a chat with those guys to understand how to get crowds involved and showing up. I could not believe the crowd they drew on a weekday, and that wasn't just Drag Week - it was Tulsa Raceway Park

that's really all I have.
                        Last edited by dieselgeek; September 18, 2014, 08:19 AM.
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I personally think more cars could be in the event. The format being used for the last three years seems to be working well. I do not envy DF at all. Drag Week has become a beast with an unlimited appetite. I'm just thankful I get to be in the buffet line.
                          Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                            I seldom comment on rules because I get the occasional glimpse of what level of hell it is for guys like DF, Finnegan, Keith to create them.

So general observations:

(1) figure out how to accomodate*** more cars. Maybe have the event more often? no idea really, but there is HUGE demand to participate. Try to create more supply IMO.
                            (2) Keep it at tracks like Tulsa. It's hard to explain how awesome that place, and the people who run it, is/are. For real. Dinger and all those guys are SUPER accomodating, I see them doing things for the lowliest of participants and spectators, same as they treat the high profile guys. I can't say enough good about the people who run that place, and wish Tom Compton would have a chat with those guys to understand how to get crowds involved and showing up. I could not believe the crowd they drew on a weekday, and that wasn't just Drag Week - it was Tulsa Raceway Park

that's really all I have.
                            Aside from all the vanity name-dropping**, that post has some merit. However, I for one would like to see the event move Southeast, East or possibly West (recognizing the virtual impossibility of getting enough quality tracks within reasonable driving distances). A Southeastern swing with four-wide Z-Max would be really fun. Locations, however, aren't really germane to a discussion of the rules, which presumably would be the same wherever they chose to hold the event.

(To be fair, it's hard to keep the pretentious MENSA crowd focused on a single topic if there isn't a 15x15 table to tweek)

--------------------------
                            **Yes, we all know that the ever kind and gracious "MAN WITH NO CAR" knows everyone under the sun and is a MASSIVE CELEBRITY in the tuning world . . . No need to keep reminding us. BTW, when can we expect the new posters and hero cards? T-shirts?

***at the risk of resurrecting Mavis Bacon (whoops, BEACON . . . it must be about lunchtime) , it's spelled "accommodate"
                            Last edited by 38P; September 18, 2014, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone03 View Post

I like the idea of a no bar class in DD.
                              I have wondered if DD should be limited to 11.5, everybody else runs in a class...

During one of the live feeds, I believe DF said something about there being too many classes right now... He also mentioned that he had come to the event with what he thought was a "finished" version of the rules to release for comment at the end of DW. But during DW he had received feedback that had him rethinking them. So the release was going to be delayed a few weeks while he tweaked them some more...

Sounded like Lutz and Larson were interested in a steel body "unlimited" class even if a truely unlimited class would still exist... He had not expected that.

The other interesting tidbit, I believe the explosion in size is very much a concern for DF. He mentioned all the stories of people who have been a co-pilot and loved it so much they want to bring their own car. He mentioned that he loves hearing that, but there is just not going to be enough room for everybody... Not sure how you limit the size... Rules that piss some people off may be one means...

Many was to parse/interpret what DF has said and I probably missing the boat...

Comment

The way I understood is that the rules would be posted this week, and open to discussion for a few weeks or months until they were locked in
                                1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                                1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Working...
                                X