No announcement yet.

2015 rule updates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a different idea to thin out daily driver - require regular car insurance, not collector car insurance, for all daily driver entries. I know I've got Grundy on my racecar and my newest policy statement seems more restrictive than ever: "No driving to work, no running errands, no going shopping, no racing\rally". Seems like with that, if I got in a fender bender while driving 300+ miles between tracks they might burn me. A true "daily driven" car ought to have enough insurance to let you drive it to work.

Comment

Finding your way in pitch blackness is a pain. It's also cooler out, and less traffic. Which is a plus. I like the early starts, because if you're on the second shift DW plan, when you roll in at 10Am-1pm, the pits are cleared out, and you can get your runs in pretty quickly. I would prefer to drive in the day, but we had major problems all week. Didn't even get to use our pre-paid rooms in Norman, and Great Bend!

I understand the need for adding Super Street Power Adder, to keep the really fast cars out of Street race, but the Super Street NA classes don't seem to make sense to me, and they just water down the NA Small block and big block field.

I'm going to put this out there, and you can flame me if you want. I think a Co-driver should be Mandatory...We took 5 cars and only 7 people this year, and it was brutal. First time in 5 finishes that I've done it solo, and it's just not smart.

Comment

If you leave in the morning from the hotel at say 6 or 7AM(thats what I would plan to do) Your weather is about the same, cooler morning and its getting hotter through out the day, just the opposite of leaving in the heat of the day and driving into the cooler weather. The traffic aspect is pretty true but the chances of landing in rush hour somewhere are about the same.

They could even move the daily driver classes to the front of the line, this gives the slower should be more reliable cars less time to get to the track. It doesn't really mess with the time table all that much, it just raises the stakes on building something that can make it to the next track. Rolling into the track near shutdown won't be any different.

My plan would be leave early in the morning for the next track, get to the track, make a hit, drink a couple of cold beers while watching the class cars go down the track, and enjoy the lack of pressure of bailing out to hit the road.

We could also schedule the drivers meeting on Monday at noon, so it might happen in time to not mess with the regular racing schedule for the day.
        1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
        1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

I HATE driving my hot rod at night.. I never gave it any thought
          about driving it at night when I built it but I sit so low(the car is
          low and I sit low in the truck) that on-coming head lights are right
          in my eyes and makes it hard to see.. its bad enough for me being
          older that I'm looking at one of those yellow fold down visors to help
          for night driving.. I'll take the heat of the day and the traffic... plus Hot
          Rod is trying to make it hard on the cars to prove they are real street
          cars... thats why they run use in city traffic ... JMO on the last part

Comment

Originally posted by MoparBilly View Post
            I'm going to put this out there, and you can flame me if you want. I think a Co-driver should be Mandatory...We took 5 cars and only 7 people this year, and it was brutal. First time in 5 finishes that I've done it solo, and it's just not smart.
            Not sure if you're saying this should be a rule or everyone should make sure to have co-driver help.

Comment

I prefer to drive in the daylight- as I get older, my eyes don't adjust as quickly going from bright to dark and back. I think that if we raced in the evenings, the more conservative drivers are going to hit the road after their runs trying to put miles behind them- not go to bed. That way if the have an issue they have more time to fix it. Plus consider this, as it is now, if you break something that you can limp to the next track with, you can order parts and have them next day'd to the next track. If you race at night, no such luck.

Also consider that if you break something at the track that takes time to replace, you will either hold the track up from closing or be forced out of the gate to do your work on the side of the road in the dark. Not what I would call fun.
              Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
                I prefer to drive in the daylight- as I get older, my eyes don't adjust as quickly going from bright to dark and back. I think that if we raced in the evenings, the more conservative drivers are going to hit the road after their runs trying to put miles behind them- not go to bed. That way if the have an issue they have more time to fix it. Plus consider this, as it is now, if you break something that you can limp to the next track with, you can order parts and have them next day'd to the next track. If you race at night, no such luck.

Also consider that if you break something at the track that takes time to replace, you will either hold the track up from closing or be forced out of the gate to do your work on the side of the road in the dark. Not what I would call fun.
                Great points.

Comment

People aren't getting it. You would race then sleep in the city near the track. Then the next day get up when you please to allow time to motor to the next track. Broken cars could be retrieved the following AM. I just wish DF would get HIS provocative changes online for us to chew upon.
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

The idea of changing the schedule like that won't fly...we all know that having time to get cars fixed is far more important than sleep. Common sense and Drag Week are mutually exclusive.

I like Billy's idea about mandatory co pilot.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• 07 I was by myself and trying to follow the route,checkpoints etc at night was a PITA.I prefer to leave early afternnon for the next track.More driving during the daylight and last chance of hitting deer,Armadillos etc.I talked to one person that was not entered but driving track to track and they saw 12 deers between GB and Tulsa.The passenger was amazed at how fast a deer could run. LOL.Always better when they run parellell to the road.

Comment

• I think the racing/driving times are good as they are. Allows drivers to drive in the daylight if they choose and parts stores are open if you break something at the track. Also allows wrenching on the car in the daylight if something goes south at the track.
                        Drag Week 2014 SR/BB/NA 11.12 @ 118.56 average
                        Drag Week 2015 SR/BB/NA 10.84 @ 124.97 average

Comment

• i predict gasser class will get squeezed back a little,,im guessing no dominator carbs,trans brakes.i hope they dont go too far and say no big inch motors.if so i can prostreet the henry j pretty easy or i have a stripped out 73 camaro that my big block would drop right in for another class.
                          Last edited by bulletproof; September 22, 2014, 07:10 AM.

Comment

• I doubt they can say no big inch motors....I'm about the only guy with a small one....

I"m really curious what they have in mind for gasser class, I can't think of any good ways to limit it. Besides 7" slicks.
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Dual point distributors for everyone!
                              Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                              1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                              1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                              1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                              1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                              1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

• Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
                                i predict gasser class will get squeezed back a little,,im guessing no dominator carbs,trans brakes.i hope they dont go too far and say no big inch motors.if so i can prostreet the henry j pretty easy or i have a stripped out 73 camaro that my big block would drop right in for another class.

I dunno, Frieburger sure seemed to think someone would have had an 8 second gasser by now. It sounded like Dennis's Ratchero was exactly what he thought the class would be the few times I got to hear him talk about the class. I think the class is pretty bad ass as it is.
                                1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                                1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Working...
                                X