No announcement yet.

2015 Proposed Rules are here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DF is having fun with us. Not enough drama- plastic vs steel, floor plans,etc... I do hope the no bias ply tire rule does not stick.lol
    used to be purplecobra, now just myself. I still drive a mustang!!!!!

Comment

We like the new Hot Rod class rules. These less restrictive rules will clearly attract more participation and quicker class times. After all, they named the class - Hot Rod not "Nostalgic". Today's Hot Rods have way more going for them beyond SBC's and stacked F.I. This should be a fun class to participate in and to watch. We have Not been building our Coupe for DragWeeks Hot Rod class simply because of their '62 or earlier engine family requirement. This class rule no longer applies so our focus has changed to the Hot Rod class for DW 2015. One big problem; per the proposed rules our strut front suspension must be changed to double A arm, this will take some doing but it gives us a good reason to re-up our understanding on proper handling. My son and I Love Drag Week, and now their rules have gotten a lot closer to what we want for our Coupe. Thanks again Hot Rod! Hardy Handshakes, Swede
      Last edited by Swede4; October 11, 2014, 02:07 PM.
      DragWeek 07, 08, 09, 11, 12 & 2013 with 2nd place in DD

Comment

My understanding of impound, and correct me if I'm wrong is - only the driver and passenger of a car in impound is allowed to work on it? No other help (without permission from tech)?

Regarding impound:
        Putting all the sub 8.50 cars in by default will only make the impound area larger, I think. My suggestion (sent in by email already) is for the top 2 or 3 cars in their respective class automatically go into impound, with any other cars "subject to impound by officials at any time".

To address the bias tire in SR? Make a spec size (say max of a 10.5 x 28.5/29.5), max width of 10" wheel.. should keep some sort of handle on tire size, AND help the 3 pedal guys at the same time.
        DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
        DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
        DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
        DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

Comment

Originally posted by AdvAutoBob View Post
          My understanding of impound, and correct me if I'm wrong is - only the driver and passenger of a car in impound is allowed to work on it? No other help (without permission from tech)?

You can have three passengers. Crew cab S-10 next year?

Comment

And now my long dormant four door Maverick Gapp&Roush Tijuana Taxi tribute makes a lot of sense except for the two guys who have to sit in back.
            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

one of the first Hot Rod magazines I ever bought....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

1st Question. What are the purpose of Drag Week Rules.
                Unlike many of the heads-up racing series, which must try to keep many different kinds of cars on equal footing to have competitive classes. Drag Week is 300 Street Cars trying to go as fast as they can, still make the drives, and complete the course. Obviously, the last 2 years have shown us we are past the point of "We have to change the rules to foster more participation".

So, essentially, the rules in place are to divide the cars up in such a way to group them for competition. Is the effort to create equal size classes, or to create equal competition within the classes? Serious question here, not trying to be sarcastic. I think it's important to look at.

First, look at Street Race:
                Those four classes are both healthy in participation, and competition, making up very close to a third of the field (88 cars) . I don't really see a need to make any changes, so I have to wonder, What spurred the knee-jerk reaction against bias-ply tires?

Daily Driver:
                Is this the largest class, because it is a catch-all, or because it's a group with a different mindset? Is this a huge Street Car sociology experiment? Personally, I think the 10.80 floor to 10.00 makes complete sense, and will have little to no effect on the class.

Unlimited:
                It's unlimited
                , cool, we get that, I'm all for it. But when it starts becoming a catch-all for misplaced uncompetitive cars, does that mean the sorting system is broken, or that like DD, some guys just must have an "A" on their windshield?

Gasser:
                Cool class, great participation. Who complained about the tires last year? We heard at one point they were going to check all the tires in Gasser, but it never happened. Then the knee-jerk again in the proposed rules. I question whether a "Super Charged" division is needed, or is this an attempt at bringing in certain cars people want to see?

Hot Rod:
                I don't care, really...and that disturbs me a little, am I the only one? Traditional Hot Rods have their place, and I hope they never go away, but does it need to be Drag Week?

Pro Street- Modified- Super Street
                Ok...here seems to be where the water is getting muddied up the most. Pro Street is being stretched a bit to accommodate the stock bodied Unlimited cars is that the gist?
                Let's look at 2013. Pro Street/ Modified/Super Street in the Power Adder classes had 36 cars between three classes. 28 NA cars in four classes. Now the new proposed rules want to eliminate one PA and one NA class...based on the 2013 participation numbers, that makes zero sense.

In order to clearly look at the cars in this grouping, and cars being built to run in this grouping I still contend you have to split out NA from the PA cars. They have different needs at this level.

First up the NA cars.
                Big Tire, Modified chassis cars. Ok, call it Pro Street NA, fine. I think they should consider a SB/BB separate division within the class, but if the desire is less classes even though the event has grown by 40% since the last revision to the rules in 2012, fine.
                Small Tire, Modified chassis cars. If we are going to mash the Modified and Super Street classes together...can we call it Modified NA? PLEASE? Modified has been the pinnacle small tire class at Drag Week since 2007, Super Street was a last minute 2012 addition. BB/SB division is cool.

Power Adder Cars.
                All these classes are essentially modified chassis classes. I think we should keep all three, possibly adding a BB/SB division in the bottom one. Basically, Pro Street PA Would be Big Tire. Super Street PA would be similar to a True 10.5 class, where the more restrictive tire/wheel limitations proposed would still exist, like the DR and a spec, no W, Bias Tire rule. Modified would be similar to the popular Outlaw 10.5 stuff with more liberal wheel/tire specs.

Whew...that's three hours of my life I'll never get back...

Comment

I'm still disappointed in no change to the unlimited rules but I get the point it's unlimited, with that being said I truly believe in doing away with the trailers not in all the classes just unlimited that will keep the parity in my opinion regardless of the car. Why are we going to mess up another class by letting cars like mine in pro street. My car as well as the others mentioned don't belong in pro street . I have a challenge to all the unlimited guys and gals regardless if it's in the rules or not let's do drag week without trailers . I already said I won't do drag week again based on the direction unlimited is going but with that being said If we all could agree on no trailers I'm there .

Comment

Originally posted by 340Cuda View Post

You can have three passengers. Crew cab S-10 next year?
                    No need.. Craig and I did just fine all by our lonesome, thank you.

So passenger(s) as in how many can fit in the car.. point clarified.
                    DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
                    DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
                    DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
                    DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

Comment

Having done DW 2014 without a trailer - I would NOT do it again not having a trailer. The amount of time we spent loading/unloading was ridicules - this took daylight hours to complete the drive.

On schedule - the drive should occur in the morning reaching the track then running in late afternoon and staying near the track. Having witnessed the mess the deer made - this will enhance driver safety. No one need to have an accident due late night driving.

I agree that the proposed tire rules for SR and SS are wrong. Ditto on the fuel restriction.

Comment

I understand your thinking Joe.Lets hope HR comes to their senses.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Barry View Post
                          I'm still disappointed in no change to the unlimited rules but I get the point it's unlimited, with that being said I truly believe in doing away with the trailers not in all the classes just unlimited that will keep the parity in my opinion regardless of the car. Why are we going to mess up another class by letting cars like mine in pro street. My car as well as the others mentioned don't belong in pro street . I have a challenge to all the unlimited guys and gals regardless if it's in the rules or not let's do drag week without trailers . I already said I won't do drag week again based on the direction unlimited is going but with that being said If we all could agree on no trailers I'm there .
                          I think it would be interesting to at least downscale the trailer to hold a tool box, tires, jack, Nitrous bottles, and gas cans. The basics. Maybe a small air compressor. That would cover probably 90% of folks. Spare parts ride in the car with the suitcases. I already see the keg protests, lol. I haven't used a trailer, but I wouldn't necessarily always go that route.

It takes me about ten to fifteen minutes to unload or load this stuff. Typically I can load it all back in, in just the time it takes my dinky air compressor to air up the drag radials for the road. I get quicker at it as the week goes on =P Of course I don't have a fuel cell in my trunk either.

And x2 Billy!!

Originally posted by MoparBilly View Post
                          1st Question. What are the purpose of Drag Week Rules.
                          Unlike many of the heads-up racing series, which must try to keep many different kinds of cars on equal footing to have competitive classes. Drag Week is 300 Street Cars trying to go as fast as they can, still make the drives, and complete the course. Obviously, the last 2 years have shown us we are past the point of "We have to change the rules to foster more participation".

So, essentially, the rules in place are to divide the cars up in such a way to group them for competition. Is the effort to create equal size classes, or to create equal competition within the classes? Serious question here, not trying to be sarcastic. I think it's important to look at.

First, look at Street Race:
                          Those four classes are both healthy in participation, and competition, making up very close to a third of the field (88 cars) . I don't really see a need to make any changes, so I have to wonder, What spurred the knee-jerk reaction against bias-ply tires?

Daily Driver:
                          Is this the largest class, because it is a catch-all, or because it's a group with a different mindset? Is this a huge Street Car sociology experiment? Personally, I think the 10.80 floor to 10.00 makes complete sense, and will have little to no effect on the class.

Unlimited:
                          It's unlimited
                          , cool, we get that, I'm all for it. But when it starts becoming a catch-all for misplaced uncompetitive cars, does that mean the sorting system is broken, or that like DD, some guys just must have an "A" on their windshield?

Gasser:
                          Cool class, great participation. Who complained about the tires last year? We heard at one point they were going to check all the tires in Gasser, but it never happened. Then the knee-jerk again in the proposed rules. I question whether a "Super Charged" division is needed, or is this an attempt at bringing in certain cars people want to see?

Hot Rod:
                          I don't care, really...and that disturbs me a little, am I the only one? Traditional Hot Rods have their place, and I hope they never go away, but does it need to be Drag Week?

Pro Street- Modified- Super Street
                          Ok...here seems to be where the water is getting muddied up the most. Pro Street is being stretched a bit to accommodate the stock bodied Unlimited cars is that the gist?
                          Let's look at 2013. Pro Street/ Modified/Super Street in the Power Adder classes had 36 cars between three classes. 28 NA cars in four classes. Now the new proposed rules want to eliminate one PA and one NA class...based on the 2013 participation numbers, that makes zero sense.

In order to clearly look at the cars in this grouping, and cars being built to run in this grouping I still contend you have to split out NA from the PA cars. They have different needs at this level.

First up the NA cars.
                          Big Tire, Modified chassis cars. Ok, call it Pro Street NA, fine. I think they should consider a SB/BB separate division within the class, but if the desire is less classes even though the event has grown by 40% since the last revision to the rules in 2012, fine.
                          Small Tire, Modified chassis cars. If we are going to mash the Modified and Super Street classes together...can we call it Modified NA? PLEASE? Modified has been the pinnacle small tire class at Drag Week since 2007, Super Street was a last minute 2012 addition. BB/SB division is cool.

Power Adder Cars.
                          All these classes are essentially modified chassis classes. I think we should keep all three, possibly adding a BB/SB division in the bottom one. Basically, Pro Street PA Would be Big Tire. Super Street PA would be similar to a True 10.5 class, where the more restrictive tire/wheel limitations proposed would still exist, like the DR and a spec, no W, Bias Tire rule. Modified would be similar to the popular Outlaw 10.5 stuff with more liberal wheel/tire specs.

Whew...that's three hours of my life I'll never get back...
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I've run 3 years without a trailer, like Randal says, it doesn't take even 15 minutes to unload or reload the car. Also, if you run without a trailer, you might be more inclined to run the same tires on the street and the strip. which I did the first two years...never removed a tire, and the drag radials worked fine for driving, and for racing. you results may vary, but it can be done.
                            Last edited by squirrel; October 12, 2014, 03:42 PM.
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I doubt the tire thing will hold up. The obvious protest would be for a mass of racers to show up with 11" bias ply slicks and let Freiburger figure out how to class them. I can't understand people making major changes to their projects for a single 350 car event. Build the car you want, cruise and race it every weekend, and if you get to go on Drag Week, cool. There WERE fast street/strip cars BEFORE Drag Week, you know?
                              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I hope everybody understands when I say this about rules I'm not saying it to make me have an advantage but to have a chance, my car doesn't fit any type of class racing so my life revolves around being able to race at drag week. I have hauled a trailer every year and I have learned that I really don't need it , it only allows me to haul twice as much stuff as I would possibly use. This year I used an alternator that was it however my trailer had enough stuff to help others which I'm always happy to help. This to me Is an event that you can have competition but not so serious that there is constant drama. Hopefully it continues with the idea of having commaderie not the mindset of win at all costs . No matter what I will go to hang out with the great people I have met over the years , too me their as important as the race.

Comment

Working...
                                X