In the blink of an eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the blink of an eye

So a little quick history before I tell my tale of woe. Done a few legs of HRPT off and on since 08 and then our first Long Haul was in 13. On the way home I looked at my wife and said "This was fun but I want an old car for next year." The new Challenger was fun but I still felt like I was missing a little bit of the flavor. She agreed and I bought a 63 Impala a few months later. I spent 9 months giving up my weekends, every minute of free time, and damned near every spare penny I had to build this car to Long Haul in 14. Didn't quite make the deadline. So 14 saw another LH in the modern muscle.

I told myself it was for the best since I would have an entire year to work all the bugs out and 15 would be the best experience ever.

This morning was sunny, temps were going to be in the high 50s and it was Friday. What a great day to drop my son off at school and then head to work in my hot rod. NOT!

Some 22 year old kid in a POS truck decided he would drive straight ahead while he looked out his side window.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0664a.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	678.5 KB
ID:	1000643

I don't think there is a word in the English language that can describe my demeanor when I got out of the car and saw the damage. Livid...pissed....furious....none of those seem to quite sum it up. Of course the dumbass cranked it up about 80 billion notches when he looked at me and said "Dude, it's just a car"

Fortunately my son and I are OK. Will I get the car fixed in time to Long Haul this year? Will the insurance company declare it totaled? I have no idea. I'm sick to my stomach.
    All that hard work and sacrifice right down the drain. The endless months of waiting and counting down to the one week a year I let my hair down and just enjoy the best vacation you can legally have- gone in the blink of an eye.

OK, rant over. Time to lay in bed and replay the whole thing over until I fall asleep.

Cut his manhood off and tell him it's just a useless hunk of skin. See how he reacts to that.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

That sucks big time. One time I had just gotten my 73 Mach 1 running and I made the mistake of partially blocking a driveway when I stopped to look at a car. As I was talking to the people a chick comes out of the house, jumps in her Expedition, throws it in reverse and takes out my front fender. Mind you she had plenty of room to clear the car. I was baffled more than anything. It looked like she intentionally took my car out, but I know damned well she was just being her air-head self. It also helped that she was cute.

Comment

From the looks of the truck you will be lucky if he has insurance

Comment

Buzzo that indeed sucks but there's time to repair it and I doubt the insurance company will total it. We all have been in your shoes at some point, doesn't make matters any better for you but you will get pass this set back. Looking forward to seeing the car on PT.
          Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
          The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

That is a total bummer, but there's plenty of time to get it back in perfect condition..........I hope he has the insurance end of it covered, and if he doesn't I'd tend to agree with Scott up there in post #2......
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz0 View Post
              Will the insurance company declare it totaled? I have no idea.
              That isn't totaled ... probably even drivable on Tour as is, if you had to. Good luck with Insurance companies and your repairs.

Comment

That is too bad but it does look like you may be able to have it repaired in plenty of time. Good luck.
                Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Man that just sucks! I saw the pictures on F/B also. But as others have said it can be fixed by June just take a big breath and relax let the insurance take care of it and getter done!
                  Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

He couldn't produce a current insurance card but assured me that he was paid up. I have stated value insurance with ANPAC so I'm not too worried about repairs being paid for.

I'm a little nervous about the frame since it is an X-frame, they are a little flimsy. And I found a large square nut on the ground that is supposed to be welded to the frame so he popped at least one of the body mounts. There was some rippling going up into the sail panel, trunk lid doesn't look like it is sitting square, etc. I guess I'll know more next week when the adjuster comes to have a look.

IF he says repair it then I run into the problem of finding a body shop out here in the boonies that can a) do a quality job and b) not take 2 years to get it done. The paint isn't going to match either and I doubt if there is an insurance company in the world that would understand that and pay to re-spray the whole thing.

I'm still just sick to death about it but am now starting to breath.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz0 View Post
                      Fortunately my son and I are OK.
                      Spend some more time contemplating the fact that your son and yourself were not seriously injured, it could have been much worse. You know in your heart the the 22 year-old did not intentionally hit you ... he was just being a careless dumb-ass kid, just like we all have been at some point in our lives.

Now start looking for a good repair shop.

Comment

Sorry to hear about that man, truly sucks - -but chin up.
                        Phil / Omaha

Comment

They can do wonders with frame racks these days. But truly sucks though glad to here you and your son are Ok.
                          Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

His comments go to show the lack of respect for others and their property. I guess even telling him you built it and the sacrifice that went into it would have gone in one ear and out the other. Was he allowed to drive away not being able to produce a insurance card? I know here in GA they can run the tag and know if the vehicle is insured or not. Like what was said before, you have time, let your insurance company fix it and then go after his or him. Everyone is OK so if a win can come out of this then that was it. Hope it all turns out good for you.
                            Visit my sons blog:
                            www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

If they total it you can always work out a deal to get paid for damages & still keep the car. Been there, done that. Might be time to join one of the 58-64 Chevy forums for help finding any of the parts that you might need.
                              ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Working...
                              X