Places to see along power tour 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 59brook View Post
    volo auto museum, i think kruise auctions has a museum nearby, historic auto atrractions all of these are in ill, wics auto museum about an hour ne of madison . If like me you like auto museums check out hemmings.com , go to the events section and there is a listing for museums , you can search the entire world
    Volo auto museum isn't far from me... It is 2 hours from there to Madison a great country drive up route 12.
    Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

The worlds largest Bass Pro Shop, in Memphis, is scheduled to open May 1.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by smalblock View Post
        The worlds largest Bass Pro Shop, in Memphis, is scheduled to open May 1.

This is very interesting smallblock........adding a little info I read after seeing your post if you don't mind....................

The new Bass Pro Shops megastore will hold a grand opening on May 1, and the facility is now seeing delivery of merchandise daily. Once the store is stocked and ready to open, it will be the largest Bass Pro Shops location ever assembled.

The Pyramid, previously a 20,000-plus seat arena that hosted sports events and concerts, will house the retail location, a hotel, several restaurants, a nature museum, a zip-line facility and a bowling alley.

A previous article reported that the facility would include a Cypress swamp with fish, alligators and 24 faux Cypress trees that stretched into the upper reaches of the building. The 100-room hotel, the Big Cypress Lodge, will have uniquely designed rooms that include fireplaces, handcrafted furniture screened-in porches. Observation decks will line the outside of the facility.
        Last edited by 383S-10; March 15, 2015, 04:34 PM.
        That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Thanks for adding this information, 383 S-10.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

TTT

One of the things I’ve enjoyed the most over the past 7 long hauls is going to places that are not sanctioned by Hot Rod. For example in 2011 200WINS (George) and I stopped by Mike Copeland’s family shop, Diversified Creations, and were given a private tour by Mike’s son Brad. I’ve also had the pleasure of driving Hallet’s road race course in Jennings OK with ‘oneoldgoat’, watch speed parts be made at 'Speed & Performance' in Mena Arkansas and receive an 'education in suspensions' with other freaks by the Jeff Schwartz at his shop, Schwartz Performance, in Woodstock IL last year

For you folks who live near the tour route, do you have any suggestions for local race tracks, speed shops, or junk yards?

Much Obliged
            a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Decatur, Illinois: Chevrolet Hall Of Fame Museum

Chevy cars and memorabilia, some dating back to the 1920s. - See more at: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/4....iXFRgnS0.dpuf
              Address:
              3635 U.S. Hwy 36, Decatur, IL Directions: South side of US Hwy 36 at S. Albany St. in the Decatur Plaza Shopping Center. Phone: 217-791-5793 Admission: Adults $7, Under 12 free. - See more at: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/4....iXFRgnS0.dpuf

Comment

Originally posted by tcbnj View Post
                TTT

One of the things I’ve enjoyed the most over the past 7 long hauls is going to places that are not sanctioned by Hot Rod. For example in 2011 200WINS (George) and I stopped by Mike Copeland’s family shop, Diversified Creations, and were given a private tour by Mike’s son Brad. I’ve also had the pleasure of driving Hallet’s road race course in Jennings OK with ‘oneoldgoat’, watch speed parts be made at 'Speed & Performance' in Mena Arkansas and receive an 'education in suspensions' with other freaks by the Jeff Schwartz at his shop, Schwartz Performance, in Woodstock IL last year

For you folks who live near the tour route, do you have any suggestions for local race tracks, speed shops, or junk yards?

Much Obliged
                Yeah this is so true......on my first Power Tour in 2005 headed to Milwaukee going up I-57.....I stopped in Kankakee IL and went Rad Rides by Troy and got a personal tour from Troy's dad of the shop.....I didnt get to meet Troy right away because he was having a conversation with George Poteet who was at the shop to see Troy......needless to I blown away because it was the 1st time I have seen people in person that I had seen in the car magazines......but after all theses Power Tour it doesnt seem strange because they are all accessible.......
                That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Originally posted by tcbnj View Post
                  TTT

Much Obliged
                  Agreed, I love side trips! Lets get more ideas. The Route 66 museum last year was fun.

Comment

Originally posted by smalblock View Post

Has there been an announcement made about parking on Beal St.? This usually done once a month, with a limited number of cars?

On Tuesday, June 9, the tour will roll through CPG’s hometown of Memphis, Tennessee, where a number of special events are planned for both local attendees and Long Haulers making the full drive. As it did in 2013, COMP Cams will host a cruise night on world-famous Beale Street featuring 100 vehicles hand-selected from the Long Haul participants. The event has been deemed one of the best cruise nights in the country, with vehicle passes onto the famous street having become some of the most coveted items among the car and truck crowd.

Comment

somewhere near volo i think there was a krause museum i think it was . i believe it was the auction guys or something and they had a car museum and a wwll muesum also . i will look it up tommorrow in my stuff from last yr. also the wellborn museum in alabama had some incredible cars not sure what is left after the goodguy's auction. you also need to go to Barbar's motorsport museum in alabama . mostly motorcycles but the place is incredible

Comment

Originally posted by 59brook View Post
                        somewhere near volo i think there was a krause museum i think it was . i believe it was the auction guys or something and they had a car museum and a wwll muesum also . i will look it up tommorrow in my stuff from last yr. also the wellborn museum in alabama had some incredible cars not sure what is left after the goodguy's auction. you also need to go to Barbar's motorsport museum in alabama . mostly motorcycles but the place is incredible
                        Barbar's motorsports museum is well worth the trip if you like motorcycles.

Also, on day 2, mile marker 153.5.....instead of turning right onto I-55, go over the overpass and take the first left (frontage road). about a 1/4 mile on the left is Country Classics. they sell muscle cars, and will let you wander the property. three large buildings, plus a bunch outside.
                        Country Classics
                        2149 E. Frontage Rd.
                        Staunton, IL 62088
                        Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by 1969RS View Post
                          Check out www.roadsideamerica.com. You can search by state and location to find "unique" attractions. For example I found a winery south of STL that has a tasting room in a cave.
                          And it appears to be on our way from St Louis to Memphis...Cave Winery.. added it to my GPS & Travel book
                          Last edited by Vsolo; May 21, 2015, 10:27 PM.
                          So. Central PA
                          Long Hauler 2010 & 2011 (2 stops 2014) 2015

NERR 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo2k View Post
                            Decatur, Illinois: Chevrolet Hall Of Fame Museum

Chevy cars and memorabilia, some dating back to the 1920s. - See more at: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/4....iXFRgnS0.dpuf
                            Address:
                            3635 U.S. Hwy 36, Decatur, IL Directions: South side of US Hwy 36 at S. Albany St. in the Decatur Plaza Shopping Center. Phone: 217-791-5793 Admission: Adults $7, Under 12 free.
                            This is on out way on Monday the 8th when we leave Urbana, IL (Parkland College) to St Louis (Gateway MS)
                            Chevrolet HOF (well I have not double check the HRPT Official Route)
                            Last edited by Vsolo; May 21, 2015, 10:28 PM.
                            So. Central PA
                            Long Hauler 2010 & 2011 (2 stops 2014) 2015

NERR 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Comment

There might be a group of us that runs RT66 the first 2 days of PT. It is still up in the air...but close enough to make it to the venues in time.

Comment

Staunton, IL.........isn't that where solsticefun (Jim) was from??
                                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                                X