No announcement yet.

OK. Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Osmand at on my tablet for GPS. You download the states your are going through then save a Google map from My Maps convert to gxp. Poor that in the tracks file in your phone or tablet and you have the route via GPS , and if you ever get off route out directs you back to route

App cost 5.99 for life on Google play
    Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

Originally posted by tcbnj View Post
      bought the nuvi 67 LMT and already regretting it, incredibly not intuitive (at least not to a non-IT junkie). my biggest disappointment is not having (or being able to figure out) the option of the Australian woman's voice. Having said that, I am finding Base Camp less intuitive. I may have created a route (still not sure) but when I tried to load onto the 67, it will not load (not responding is the initial message). Is it possible that I have to buy a memory card (in addition to a $200 Garmin)?

I may be the annoying boy who cried wolf but I may seeking your help in Madison in exchange for libations of course
      Tom, you definitely need a card(micro)...I just got the new 6" screen LMT 65 ($158 at Sams) but had to buy a card....they are$20 for 16 gb
      the diff between 65 and 67 appears to be yours is FM traffic compatible. not sure if that is good or bad. I am also navigating base camp with mucho difficulty
      Last edited by 173rdherd; May 27, 2015, 07:29 AM.
      Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

i used a garmin once, that voice annoyed me so much i gave it back
        rand mcnally and i get along just fine
        HRPT Long Hauler 2011, 2012, 2014

Comment

thats the one with large print

Comment

Originally posted by ogre View Post
            i used a garmin once, that voice annoyed me so much i gave it back
            rand mcnally and i get along just fine
            They have both a volume and a mute button
            Last edited by Jesse James 80; May 27, 2015, 11:28 AM.
            1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
            1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
            1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

i like the mute

Comment

Same here... that damn voice saying "recalculating" over and over is just like your wife saying, "Missed another turn, didn't you?" I don't need that, especially when I'm driving alone.

Last edited by Jesse James 80; May 27, 2015, 11:37 AM.

Comment

me too copilot baled so alone is ok

Comment

I have been fighting through basecamp, I have one route done. It seems like the easiest way to use it is to set waypoints along the routes, then backtrack to make sure it stays on the correct hwy. It wants to send you down the shortest route so after I map all the called out turns with waypoints. I back track through the route making sure it stayed on the correct hwy. It helps to just use other internet map software to search for streets b/c Basecamp just plain sucks at that. My 2 cents for what it is worth.
                    I also keep my gps connected to the computer so you can use the detailed maps from the GPS.

Comment

Seriously if you have an Android Phone, use OSMAND and pay the 6 bucks for it.

Make a map on mymaps from google using add driving directions drawing tool.
                      Save just the driving directions to the your hard drive
                      convert it to a GXP (do search plenty of free things out there KMS to GXP)

Download OSMAND pro (not free version)
                      Download any states that you will be driving through from the settings menue
                      Hook phone to computer and find file folder OSMAND
                      Create a Folder "Tracks"
                      Put GXP files into Tracks

Go to Navigation part of OSMAND app
                      Go to Settings
                      Go to Tracks
                      Click on route the GXP file you put in

Will GPS navigate you on route, and will get you back on route if you happen to get off.

Took me 3 hours to do all 6 days worth of driving and to download all the states that we are driving through.

Now need to edit MY MAPS and re save it to phone for revisions.

Only issue is that the maps in OSMAND are offline so they are downloaded and take up space on device, (that is why i only did states going too)

Positive is though if you loose cell signal it still works!
                      Last edited by GTPilot88; May 27, 2015, 09:08 PM.
                      Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse James 80 View Post
                        Same here... that damn voice saying "recalculating" over and over is just like your wife saying, "Missed another turn, didn't you?" I don't need that, especially when I'm driving alone.
                        Doesn't matter...my car is so loud I can't hear my wife. (could be why she stays home). I think at some point you are going to get lost so if you are traveling alone just try and hook up with a group so you have company when you ALL get lost. Got to admit my Garmin saved my butt when I left Charleston last year and headed home to central Fl. Traveling alone makes it hard to read maps and drive.

Comment

I like what you are saying GTPilot88
                          But how am I suppose to video all the cars, take pictures, post them to social media and text and drive if I am using my phone for a GPS?

Comment

I have a phone and tablet, both window mounted to
                            Last edited by GTPilot88; May 28, 2015, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZZONA View Post
                              Doesn't matter...my car is so loud I can't hear my wife. (could be why she stays home). I think at some point you are going to get lost so if you are traveling alone just try and hook up with a group so you have company when you ALL get lost. Got to admit my Garmin saved my butt when I left Charleston last year and headed home to central Fl. Traveling alone makes it hard to read maps and drive.
                              Wife is going. I dynomatted the piss out of my Mustang. It also has a fat mass backed carpeting, and a fairly quiet exhaust for a V8. My 67 C10 is loud as hell though... guess which one the wife likes more? I also have a pretty kick ass stereo in the mustang as well, so it's nice to hear it. I'm also traveling with Big Dave's group. I think we had at least 8+ cars last year? We did get separated a few times, but not for long, and yeah... we had a few turn arounds....

I use mine all the time. It's actually easier to glance over and see my speed than glancing down and it's nice that they have the posted speed limit feature as well, because I'm not always sure. With the new Garmin I bought your calculated speed starts to turn red over the speed limit, but it's not annoyingly red, I actually didn't notice it was doing that the first few weeks I used it.

Originally posted by riche View Post
                              I like what you are saying GTPilot88
                              But how am I suppose to video all the cars, take pictures, post them to social media and text and drive if I am using my phone for a GPS?
                              I KNOW, right? AND, I have to shift and hold my drink too!
                              Last edited by Jesse James 80; May 28, 2015, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X