OK. Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK. Now What?

As in the past, I have constructed my routes using MapQuest, only to find that they no longer offer the capability to download to Garmin devices. Any solutions, or alternatives out there?? Downloading to my smart phone is not a viable option.......
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

MaryMapQuest

Marie said to say hi to you two -
    Last edited by 70chevyC-10; May 22, 2015, 04:57 PM.
    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Well, tell her said 'hi' right back atcha!
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Garmin's BaseCamp software is what I use

Comment

Something happens to all the online maps programs, I use to use Google & download them to my GPS too, they did it over & is is crappy now, won't let you connect to Garmin, and now for a trip they want you to put your addresses in a spreadsheet to load them with the spreadsheet, then you can't change the way they send you. I'm feeling like an old cranky guy when I sent off my complain about the "new changes" they made & how they suck and are useless.

Alan (cstmwgn) I'm learning my way through BaseCamp, I totally see what you mean, there is a definite learning curve. Time was going by as I played with it...

I had just finished up my old way around making trip stops on my Garmin, when I found about BaseCamp. Probably will use to for the NorthEast Rod Run in the fall.

Thanks for the heads up on BandCamp & the window stuff, that reminds me I have to see if I can find some locally (so I'll remember in the future)
          Last edited by Vsolo; May 23, 2015, 12:46 PM.
          So. Central PA
          Long Hauler 2010 & 2011 (2 stops 2014) 2015

NERR 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
            Garmin's BaseCamp software is what I use
            Thanks Allen, I'm gonna try it out.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

bought the nuvi 67 LMT and already regretting it, incredibly not intuitive (at least not to a non-IT junkie). my biggest disappointment is not having (or being able to figure out) the option of the Australian woman's voice. Having said that, I am finding Base Camp less intuitive. I may have created a route (still not sure) but when I tried to load onto the 67, it will not load (not responding is the initial message). Is it possible that I have to buy a memory card (in addition to a $200 Garmin)?

I may be the annoying boy who cried wolf but I may seeking your help in Madison in exchange for libations of course
              a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Well, I created the first day's route(s), but encounter a snag when sending them to the Nuvi.........it seems to just have the starting and ending points installed. Can't figure out how to check the routes.........I am thinking that it will only go to the selected waypoint (address) from where it is at the time it's selected, and if there is an existing route it will use that.....Garmin's website is a mess; I could call Garmin customer service, but to get the quickest and best result, I think I'll call Allen instead................

BTW, here's a great tutorial:

Last edited by oletrux4evr; May 25, 2015, 11:39 AM.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

OK, so I am clearly not an expert but I will try to see if I can help in Madison. I have some routes configured but I am waiting to actually load them into my Garmin until I am more certain that there won't be any route changes. I will put all my waypoints and routes on a thumb drive before leaving home which you might be able to load into your devices - I have no clue on this part as mine SEEM to be closely associated with my MAPS. I have to hook my garmin up to my laptop inorder for my maps to be available within BaseCamp to program off of.

Comment

OK, so I am clearly not an expert but I will try to see if I can help in Madison. I have some routes configured but I am waiting to actually load them into my Garmin until I am more certain that there won't be any route changes. I will put all my waypoints and routes on a thumb drive before leaving home which you might be able to load into your devices - I have no clue on this part as mine SEEM to be closely associated with my MAPS. I have to hook my garmin up to my laptop inorder for my maps to be available within BaseCamp to program off of.
                    Yes, I have to use the Garmin maps too for any kind of detail at all. The BaseCamp maps are on too large of a scale to be worth much............as we said in the Army, "they are one over the World scale"........not even a good roadmap.......
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

You can change the granularity - I usually map the back roads around .5 - .3 miles scale.

Comment

AAA maps
                        Work well

Comment

You can change the granularity - I usually map the back roads around .5 - .3 miles scale.
                          I do too Allen, I was referring to the default maps on BaseCamp...........they are a little sketchy in detail, at least in the version I have downloaded........the program relies on my Garmin-installed maps for more detailed presentation........I think I have the system figured out, and I like it.
                          Last edited by oletrux4evr; May 25, 2015, 07:00 PM.
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Originally posted by 1956NY150 View Post
                            AAA mapsWork well
                            Half the Tours I have been on, I never took a map. Hell, I just follow you Garmin/Tom Tom totin, techie dudes. I don't remember ever getting lost. Of course there is a lot the "Bartender" doesn't remember !

Still lookin for the Atlas I lost in "06" DTB
                            DTB - RETIRED

Comment

I tried messing with my fancy new garmin's trip planner yesterday, but it only wants to "search" for addresses within a state or so from mine... and I couldn't figure out how to tell it what state to look for the addresses. I'll have a navigator this year (and be part of a group) so I'll just start where the route says, turn the volume off on the Garmin, and just use it as a guide to make sure we're on the right roads and make the right turns. I was just playing follow the leader last year with my garmin on with the end destination set and it did not like any of the route we took! So, it got muted...
                              Last edited by Jesse James 80; May 26, 2015, 02:27 PM.
                              1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
                              1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
                              1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Working...
                              X