old vs new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old vs new

This Is just me please no haters.i love the old cars I drive a new truck 300 days a year.i know it is going from point A to B .I listen to the radio all day in the truck.The old car I can't here the raido everything rattles it's loud,wind noise small vibrations headlights not great, funny smells, little smoke here and there, not sure if it will make it to the next venue, so when we get stoped in traffic me and my wife look at each other and say traffic is not always bad, I can here the raido car sounds cool at a idle most everbody gives thumbs up, That makes my day.never have seen a mean person on tour.Maybe mad at a car problem but people pitch in an fix the problem. That is what it is about.New or old car sticking together, friends and meeting new friends.i love the tour no matter where it goes and the people. What I was trying to say is it is a little more exciting knowing you do not have a warranty. It's a vacation make it exciting
    Last edited by dana5; July 3, 2015, 05:25 PM.

That's right and I finally met you! Lives just down the road and never met. I know we probably talked about it but I've slept since then do y'all have a regular cruise night in Mobile or do anything else, wouldn't mind running down and checking out the big city scene.
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Pm me your email I will hook you up on some of our cruises we have a different one ever week I will send you some info

Comment

You just mentioned all the thing I love about old cars and trucks. It was also nice meeting you and your wife on tour.
        Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

It was funny, as I was about to load up the car with all my new swag from the closing ceremony thingy I hear "Jesse James" and this sweet ass wagon pulls up and it's "dana4". Sorry, I'm terrible with names... I can't recall if Dana is your real name or not... But it was awesome to be recognized from my avatar from this site.

I honestly have a little more respect for those that rock the old rides like we did, because it is a little more difficult, a lot more prep work, and in most cases a lot more expensive (fuel) but I also can't fault anyone for wanting to do the tour in a "new" car. Now that I have done the entire tour in my 65 Mustang, I can cross that off the list... and maybe within the next few years I'll take the 2011 Mustang and not have that nagging "what if I breaks down" fear.
          Last edited by Jesse James 80; July 5, 2015, 10:40 AM.
          1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
          1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
          1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

We are leaving for the Grand Canyon, Southern Utah and Colorado Wednesday in the '68 Camaro convertible. It never crossed our minds to go in either of our new vehicles.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by smalblock View Post
              We are leaving for the Grand Canyon, Southern Utah and Colorado Wednesday in the '68 Camaro convertible. It never crossed our minds to go in either of our new vehicles.
              I think that's great I'm almost to that point. Next year I hope to have 3 to choose from, the Vette is primary but that depends on my oldest son ( can't get 3 in the Vette ) then the 69 SS Camaro, the other is still top secret that way Murphy and his henchmen can't find it!
              Last edited by corvettedad; July 5, 2015, 02:28 PM.
              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

If I remember correctly, when Hot Rod started the Power Tour, it was to encourage folks to drive their hot rods. I enjoy taking my Hot Rod on tour, in spite of the problems we encountered with EFI the last few years. Thankfully, this year we had no problems from that area, the only issue we had was losing a caliper bolt from one of the front discs. Not sure how that happened, but a trip to the parts store for a new bolt got us back on our way. I prefer to drive my old stuff on tour, but don't oppose those who would rather drive new cars. It's more about getting out and seeing the people and places, and there will always be a great compilation of awesome older rides to drool over. Guess I'd rather be inclusive than exclusive!
                Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
                Gregg and Deb Miller
                Verona, Wi.

Comment

I don't know.... I have mixed feelings about the new versus old. For example, this year I took my 02 SLP SS Camaro. Prior to that, I took my 67 RS/SS Camaro 3 years in a row. This year, the stops I did, I had the T-Tops out with no A/C running. When I took Jade, I had no AC for 2 of the tours and then AC in 2013. I enjoyed both cars and for different reasons. However, this year I noticed that 95% of the old cars I saw on the highway had AC. They weren't toughing it out, or suffering.... They were enjoying the ride, just like I was.

You mention the fear of breaking.... Well, my 02 SS is just as prone to break as my 67 was. In fact, every component on Jade was brand new. And there is no warranty of my 02 SS. My alternator, my clutch, my rear-end, my shocks.... Anything could break at any given time. Then you have people that stuff new technology into old cars. Look at all the Nova's, Camaro's, Chevelles, C10 Trucks that are running either 5.3 Engines or LS Engines. What's the odds of them breaking down?! But yet, no one mentions them..... Why? Because they're in an "old" car, even though everything in that car is new and modern?!?

Point of my reply is simple- The tour is what you make it. It shouldn't matter what you drive, what year it is, or how you built/paid for it. It's about the people, the drive, the towns, all the people waving American Flags as we roll through. It's about doing burn outs for the fans that line the streets. The hotel gathering and car shows..... That is what the tour is about. When it's all said and done, who gives two shits about what you drive. Be thankful that people are participating and growing the "Hot Rod" Car Scene. One day, these "new" cars will be old. One day, our young Generation will be wrenching on these things with laptops.... Be Thankful that this passion is carrying on!!

Bucky
                  Last edited by Bucky67; July 8, 2015, 06:59 AM.
                  sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                  - George Orwell

Comment

Nobody said anything about fear of breaking down.that Is part of the fun. I ripped the rearend out cutting donuts in Detroit two years ago.lost a wheelbearing and axle in WI. This year fixed it.never missed a vinue.love working on cars
                    Last edited by dana5; July 8, 2015, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky67 View Post
                      I don't know.... I have mixed feelings about the new versus old. For example, this year I took my 02 SLP SS Camaro. Prior to that, I took my 67 RS/SS Camaro 3 years in a row. This year, the stops I did, I had the T-Tops out with no A/C running. When I took Jade, I had no AC for 2 of the tours and then AC in 2013. I enjoyed both cars and for different reasons. However, this year I noticed that 95% of the old cars I saw on the highway had AC. They weren't toughing it out, or suffering.... They were enjoying the ride, just like I was.
                      Oh yeah... living in SC my wife wouldn't get into my car 8 months out of the year without it. Both my old toys have vintage air. It's actually surprisingly easy to add air, the biggest issue most people run into is upgrading their cooling system. Of the 4 old cars in my group, all had A/C, and I think 3 of them were vintage air.

I'm weird... I like to have the window down and A/C on high.

I also have a 5 speed. The trip is a lot more enjoyable when you don't have to yell to talk to your passenger. I also thought I would be sick of the manual during the tour, but it actually wasn't too bad, the diaphragm clutch, pedal roller bearing kit, and clutch cable kit actually make the feel/pressure much closer to a modern car.

Comment

I have air in all three of mine. For less than a grand and one weekend to install.IAm the same way windows down a/c on high. Untill interstate ....my bad it has cold air 33 out the vents.not vintage.it is southern air..i will give them a plug
                        Last edited by dana5; July 8, 2015, 02:42 PM.

Comment

i also have vintage air nice to have but good cooling system is key ran 205 degrees with air in memphis

Comment

All my cars are manuals.... Sometimes they get annoying when you're waiting 2 plus hours to get into a venue. But I wouldn't trade them for the world!! And I agree, Vintage Air is awesome. After I installed it in Jade, I asked myself what took me so damn long to pull the trigger..... LOL
                            sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                            - George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by dana5 View Post
                              I have vintage air in all three of mine. For less than a grand and one weekend to install.IAm the same way windows down a/c on high. Untill interstate
                              You gotta clue me in on where you're getting your systems! I did buy the "sure fits", maybe the generics are cheaper? but 8 years ago the sure fit kit for my C10 was $1,100, and 3 years ago THE BEST price I could find on a sure fit kit for my 65 Mustang was $1,250. These were the 100% complete kits. My 67 Firebird will get one someday as well (it's a rusty pile of parts right now).

I converted my Mustang from a C4 to a T5. Much more fun to drive. I even rebuilt the T5 myself with the Hanlon Motorsports video. I drove my C10 with a 3spd on the floor (was on column when I bought it) for about 5 years before I put a 700R4 in it around 2002. There are times I regret the swap, but the truck is a little slow... and it's a "truck" so I don't mind the auto in it. My 67 Firebird is getting a 5 speed as well (was a powerglide car originally).
                              Last edited by Jesse James 80; July 8, 2015, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X