Road Trip, WST 2015, and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip, WST 2015, and more

There was a scheduled trip with the 2015 Western Scenic Tour to Yellowstone. The dates were close to the Corvettes at Carlisle Event, and decided to attend Carlisle for the 1st Time.

This trip involved lots of logistics, money, and AAA. The only known two stops were the two previously mentioned locations, all others were planned the morning off as I entered The Ghost (Silver 1996 Corvette), and say out loud "Ok Ghost were the FK are we going today?" I've learned the best road trip is the one you don't know it's location or destination.

How do I find them? How do I find a place to sleep? It's all thanks to my Android Galaxy S5, I have enough apps to execute any road trip out there.

All started little over 3-5 years ago when I got interested in the LTCC or LT1 Coil per Cylinder Converter. I've read all LTCC threads, google search in the Camaro Forums, I emailed Bob over a year ago, and back in July I ordered all parts.

I will jump here and say if you pull the trigger on this, DO NOT buy the brackets from EFI connection if you own a C4 LT engine. I didn't like the way they fit, and they are overpriced.

Do NOT care about there are claims that the truck coils are the best. There is a website from the LTCC (I didnt know) saying to people not to use those coils. I bought LS2 coils

The LTCC instructions were ok to follow, I had few questions, and Patrick (CF forum) was very helpful.

This installation took three days longer, and I only had a 20 mile test drive. Slept 4 hours, loaded up The Ghost, and got on the freeway.

Standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona

This rusted water tower got my attention when I was driving thru TX.

Got a new shifter, and I love it

Once again I made it to the NCM

PETE
    2012 Hot Rod Power Tour ►2014 WST► ​​​​​​2015 Corvettes at Carlisle, PA ► 2015 WST► 2016 WST► 2017 WST

Tail of The Dragon, TN/NC

PETE
    2012 Hot Rod Power Tour ►2014 WST► ​​​​​​2015 Corvettes at Carlisle, PA ► 2015 WST► 2016 WST► 2017 WST

Comment

Driving towards Carlisle, PA stopped at Appomattox Court House, VA. I already visited Fort Sumter, and Gettysburg. Appomattox is a small place I thought I would be there for about 45 minutes; I was wrong I was there for three hours. Very interesting place with lots of history.

For those who don't know The end of the Civil War took place here when General Lee surrendered to General Grant.

This old man was very tired, and would not move. I stood there for few minutes waiting for him to move, he saw me, but I assumed he was "out of gas".

PETE

Comment

Thanks for posting these - and thanks for your service Pete !
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
          You're welcome.
          PETE

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
              Yes, thanks Pete!
              Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Great stuff, Pete. Thanks.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Great pictures Pete. Keep them coming.
                  Jim & Maureen
                  There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
                  HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

This is the perfect event to attend if you are looking to restore earlier Corvette generations. Saw vendors selling other Muscle cars parts as well. Numerous aftermarkets products for C1, C2, and C3 . The one that got my attention was the tubular C3 frame with C4 suspension, and a Dana+batwing combo.... That was bad ass.

The electrical C3 headlights mechanism is a must to have if you are a C3 owner.

There were tools, engines, transmissions, lights, hell you name it, and Carlisle had it.

I had a great conversation with the American Powertrain guys. Few years ago I almost go crazy, and buy an auto 6 for Betty Boop, but it would not fit. Again, they have all types of combos for C1, C2, and C3s. They also have a kit for the Dough Nash 4+3 transmission.

Few shots from CAC

I would never know what this C7 owner was thinking. To buy a new C7, and make it look like a 1996 GS. I think it is nauseous.

Buy a C7 Z06, and trailer it for 300 miles because 300 miles are toooo many miles for a Corvette. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Event Fool

New color for the 2016 C7 Long Beach Red. Crystal Red is no longer available

PETE

Comment

PETE

Comment

Thanks for posting more pictures Pete!!!
                        Jim & Maureen
                        There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
                        HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

On my way to the Harley Davidson Museum from PA on the Ohio Turnpike I thought I had a flat tire. I pulled over, and all of them were good. Long story short even though all u-joints were new the drivers's side axle side blew up. This made the half-shaft move forward, it rubbed the coilover, making a loud dull metal-metal noise.
                          I had 15 miles to go before I reached the hotel for the night, I called AAA, tow truck showed up, and took me up there.

During the trip to the hotel, I was doing one of the fastest & complex brainstorming I have ever done. It was Saturday evening, nothing was going to get done. Next day was Sunday :eek:. So the next business day was Monday 10:00 AM. I psyched-up for the unfavorable situation possible. Based on what I've seen up to that point was a broken half-mast end.

Got the C4 jack (it was cherry, and I popped it :D) and the u-joint's retainer clip came off, and that caused the whole fiasco. I still wonder today how the heck it came off. I think it was destiny, perhaps there was nothing good awaiting for me at the Harley Davidson Museum.

I needed to moved, and a taxi was not going to get the job done. Luckily for me there was a Hertz a mile from the hotel, but due to the fact Elyria, OH is a little town, it closed at noon on Saturdays. The nearest rental place was at the Airport 40 miles away. I called a cab, took me there, and rented a car. Drove to Autozone, and bought one u-joint, a bottle jack, and two jack stands. I had lots of tools with me, but I never thought I'd need to go to the extremes like this.

I got back to the hotel, and watched TV... I planned to get up early, DIY this problem, and head out. Well, it was raining for few hours Sunday morning, and I started around 1:15 PM.

Damaged u-joint

It surely pays off to know how to work on your Corvette, but where the money was, was on the DeWalt 3/8 drive impact gun. That is one great son of a bitch to have.

Try to remove those 5/16 u-joints bolts with a rachet...

There was damage, but this was good enough for me.

The leatherman's file made my day. The u-joint would not go in due to the minor damage done to the inner part of the half-mast.

:cheers::rock:

You guys have no idea how difficult it was to install that without a press.

Fixed

The rental car saved my life.

Test drove The Ghost around city, and a 25 mile round trip on the freeway. Passed with flying colors.

On Monday Morning I returned the car to Hertz, got in The Ghost and headed north towards Minnesota.

Elyria, Ohio, a place to remember

It pays off to have AAA Premier. The best $150 service you can have.
                          PETE

Comment

Headed North towards the Mighty Mississippi Headwaters. Once I reached Wisconsin the weather changed, I know if you are from that parallel it's normal for you, but for a SoCal guy that was an unusual sky. I got to say, Minnesota has some weird roads going up there.

I wanted to visit this place for a long time, but it is so far away from everything that never found the way. This time, it was "on the way" to one of my stops, and did it.

The Mississippi River is born from Lake Itasca's overflow. This is how you can walk across the Mississippi.

I say the best time to visit this place is after 10 AM, anytime before that the angle of the sun doesn't help for good photography.

PETE

Comment

Love the pictures
                              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Working...
                              X