Here is my Getting ready for PT2016 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is my Getting ready for PT2016 thread

After doing the last three long hauls I realized that participating is what it is all about. But, participating in a old car would make it that much better. I've taken a '78 Trans Am, '92 Z28, '13 Challenger x2 and a '89 Mustang Convertible. They were all fun but nothing compares to seeing most of you guys/gals in that old car that i'm used to seeing at cruise nights and car shows. So, after this past year I said i'm getting the Catalina ready and going to start early.

It really is not much to look at other than it's a '63 Catalina and you don't see those around much. I never was into any Catalina other than the 65's but after seeing this one in Daytona it kind of grew on me. We bought it for my wife but recently she told me she wants another old VW bus and told me to go wild with it. I had to give up my old Dodge truck last year when we had to make the decision for me to stay home to homeschool my daughter (a long story). So, she thought it was only right since i'm really a Pontiac nut for me to have this car. All I could think about was the old Swiss Cheese Pontiacs. Although this car's 421 is long gone and a run of the mill sbc resides in it, the car is still a joy to drive. The 700r4 has been rebuilt and beefed up and I'm slowly getting everything in place. So with this thread I will update as I go along. I hope you enjoy it.

Here it is on the trailer in the parking lot of the race track last year. Got it home, pulled out the interior to find very solid floors with minor surface rust from where the heater core leaked.

Here are some pic's of the 52 year old floors

Notice the sand? The car lived in Tallahassee, FL all its life.

After that the car needed to stop, so we installed the brakes. It was the first time for drum brakes for me. I made some mistakes along the way but I got it. Had to buy a new drum cause one was bent and I found out that these cars like the organic pads better and that they do make a tool for everything.

Organic

Broke it trying to use pliers. Went and got the brake tool and it made my life a ton easier.

On the road, new brakes, tires and tune up.

Time for the old holley to go

Time for the old 2.64 gear to make way for the 3.23

And time for the old worn springs to go. I finally got them all out and new ones installed. That was a bear.

The mess of 50+ years of road grime, sand and dirt from the lower control arms

No, i'm not putting 26 inch wheels on it, the car has not settled yet

During the process of installing the front springs the bump stops disintegrated and the sway bar end link bolts broke. Summit racing and rock auto to the rescue. That will be the project for this weekend. My goal is simple. A good running car that is a throwback to the 60's race cars. For now, it will look like I just pulled it out of someones backyard.

Visit my sons blog:
    www.driftundertheradar.com

That looks really good!
    See my build at: www.1932auburnsedan.com

Comment

Actually I like the stance. Glad you finally made it through the A-arm/ball joint dilemma.
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Looking forward to seeing it in person!
        Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
        Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

My god, I've always loved the big Pontiacs. Kudos for bringing this one back; hope to see it next year.
          2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
          1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
          1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

It's looking good, Damon. I'm hoping to finish the disc brake install on our '66 Chevy II wagon today
            Last edited by smalblock; October 30, 2015, 05:32 AM.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Looks cool one of our salesmen has a 61 that's the same color but his has been fully restored.
              Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Lookin' good!
                Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Boy Damon I like it.....put black wall tires and stock steel wheels.....your going to have one great ride.
                  Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                  The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

I like it too!
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Neat Car! Looking forward to seeing it in person.
                      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                      74 Nova Project
                      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                      79 Chevy Truck Project
                      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Always liked the early 60's Catalinas! Back in 64, my dad brought home a dark blue 63 with a 389/4speed that this 14 yearolld was drooling over! I think he changed his mind when I was excited, cause he bought a new 64 chevy belair with a 230 6 cyl/3speed 4door. What a disappointment! This one looks really cool, would be nice with a real tin indian motor, though!
                        Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
                        Gregg and Deb Miller
                        Verona, Wi.

Comment

are you sure you want to go with the 3.23's? the 2.64's will get you better gas mileage.
                          Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

With the 700R4 transmission it needs that 3.23 gear. The transmission was a bear to get to downshift with that 2.64 and after riding around in it I can tell the difference. Dave read my mind. I picked these up right before power tour. I'll spend a little time sanding them and painting them. All the blasters around here want $300 to sand blast them and that is just not in the budget. I'm going to paint them a satin black and put the caps on. The caps are correct for 64 but who cares. They are cool. The wheels came off a 67 Grand Prix and are 15's. I'm going to pick up a set of 235/75/15's this weekend. Oh, and look, the reel out trunk light even works.

Visit my sons blog:
                            www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

Damon, great job man! That's going to be a fun ride right there and i agree with you it's a lot funner to be in a old ride during the tour and wondering the whole week if it makes it are not. You going to Auto cross it to I hope! Can't wait to see it in person.
                              Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Working...
                              X