GPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS

Is there a GPS unit that I could program the Power Tour route into or down load it?

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
    Is there a GPS unit that I could program the Power Tour route into or down load it?
    Yes. Garmin has a number of models that allow you to program your routes on your laptop and then download them into the GPS. Their software package is called BaseCamp. It can be a bit of a pain to get use to but I have been programming PowerTour for the last 3 or 4 years. I do a separate route for each day. My Garmin only allows 10 routes which works out pretty well for PT as I typically have one route to get to the start and one route to get home and then the 6 for the tour itself. I put in the venues, hotels, any "other" points of interest and their directions.

It actually works pretty good when driving solo or with a navigator that is map challenged.

Comment

I am looking at the Garmin Nuvi 2797 LMT. I am hoping to make next years PT a little less "map challenged".

Thanks Allen,

Comment

Lars, I bought a Garmin Nuvi 67LMT 6-Inch GPS Navigator for the 2015 tour and followed Allen's directions in using Basecamp. As Allen, said, learning basecamp is initially a challenge but in retrospect a great aid. There are a few youtube videos showing you how to use basecamp that I found very helpful.
        In fact I led the posse I was driving with this year with no one in the navigator’s chair. I also used basecamp again this fall for the Northeast Rod Ron
        nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Thanks. I bought the nuvi 2797 and downloaded the base camp. I am working through it now, programing in shorter trips. It does take a little while too learn and enter, but so far this seems to be a great system.

Now my only concern is getting the route in time to get it programmed in before we have to leave for PT.

HEY, HOT ROD MAG, ARE YOU LISTENING? I am usually trying to fix my junk in the days before PT starts and don't have a lot of time to do GPS programming the day or two before we leave.

Hey HOT ROD, how about Garmin being a sponsor for Power Tour? They could all send us the route to download into our Garmin GPS device. One less thing to worry about (for the Long Haulers) in the days before Power Tour.

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
            Thanks. I bought the nuvi 2797 and downloaded the base camp. I am working through it now, programing in shorter trips. It does take a little while too learn and enter, but so far this seems to be a great system.

Now my only concern is getting the route in time to get it programmed in before we have to leave for PT.

HEY, HOT ROD MAG, ARE YOU LISTENING? I am usually trying to fix my junk in the days before PT starts and don't have a lot of time to do GPS programming the day or two before we leave.

Hey HOT ROD, how about Garmin being a sponsor for Power Tour? They could all send us the route to download into our Garmin GPS device. One less thing to worry about (for the Long Haulers) in the days before Power Tour.

now, that's one great idea (sending the route to our GPS)....

Comment

you would thnk hot rod would have the sense to talk with AAA about becoming a sponsor offering a detailed trip tik and a special rate for the hrpt

Comment

Originally posted by 59brook View Post
                you would thnk hot rod would have the sense to talk with AAA about becoming a sponsor offering a detailed trip tik and a special rate for the hrpt

another great idea....now let's see if anyone picks up on it...

Comment

Working...
                X