Power Tour 2016 Roadside Attractions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Tour 2016 Roadside Attractions

Thought I'd start the thread now and we can all add to it. If you live in the area and know of anything that's a "must see" or stumble upon any side attractions along the route, please share it. NON CAR RELATED IS OK, and preferred for those of us traveling with family..

If we get enough stuff, I might update this post and organize it start to finish.

Originally posted by boosted buick View Post
    Thought I'd start the thread now and we can all add to it. If you live in the area and know of anything that's a "must see" or stumble upon any side attractions along the route, please share it. NON CAR RELATED IS OK, and preferred for those of us traveling with family..

If we get enough stuff, I might update this post and organize it start to finish.
    Off of I-35 north of Okla.City Arcadia Exit Rt66 is POPS iconic restaurant and gas station. Oh yeh, every variety of pop you could ever imagine for sale.
    Todd Des Moines IA HRPT 08 Short Haul 4 STOPS ----HOOKED LH 09,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18 Planning 19

Comment

Originally posted by 71Z-28 View Post
      Off of I-35 north of Okla.City Arcadia Exit Rt66 is POPS iconic restaurant and gas station. Oh yeh, every variety of pop you could ever imagine for sale.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that place! Good call.

Comment

I stopped at POP'S a couple of Tours ago, not sure which one, but it was well worth it. Their icon is the 66 foot tall soda bottle out front. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pops_%28restaurant%29. Just down 66 from there is the round barn and a very old, abandoned, stone, filling station.
        Non-denominational car nut.
        Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
        Do you go all the way?

Comment

Depending on route there's the last Rainbow bridge just north of Baxter Springs on the old Rt 66, if route goes that far east. Found it a few tours ago.
          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Dad wants to hit gas monkey garage, apparently its in DFW somewhere..

Comment

North side of Dallas, we went by there in PT 2013 but couldn't go inside or talk to anyone because they were filming.

Comment

Austin speed shop is close to the airport.
                Todd Des Moines IA HRPT 08 Short Haul 4 STOPS ----HOOKED LH 09,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18 Planning 19

Comment

the alamo,gas monkey garage, six flags amusement park ,dallas strokers motorcycle shop, these are in texas
                  oklahoma many rt 66 attractions near pops soda shop including darryl starbirds rod and custom hall of fame. several yrs ago we went thru this area of oklahoma and many of the local attractions did not even know we were coming thru town. most of the ones i spoke with said they would gladly have had special hours for us if they knew, so we need to just contact them if we are going and let them know. also in ok is the Oklahoma City Bombing memorial

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
                    Depending on route there's the last Rainbow bridge just north of Baxter Springs on the old Rt 66, if route goes that far east. Found it a few tours ago.
                    HRPT 2012 Rainbow Bridge Rt.66

Comment

there are other rt 66 things in the area of the bridge such as the sisters on the rt gas station i think it is plus the scenes you can recognize from the cars movie in the area

Comment

HRPT 2012 Rainbow Bridge Rt.66
                        That would be it

Comment

Went there in 2013. They were supposed to have a open house. Only thing that was open was the gift shop so you could buy all their t-shirts and stuff. Did get to see the real star of the show Aaron so it was not a total bust.
                          Visit my sons blog:
                          www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

I will second this, as I am from the OKC area. Lots of Route 66 stuff around OKC. BrickTown in downtown OKC is a great place to go. There's a canal there with boats that take you on tours. The National Western Heritage museum is really close to the venue and is very interesting if you like Cowboy stuff and Western stuff. The best steak in town is at the Stockyards in OKC. The restaurant is called Cattlemen's and you will feel like you were teleported back into the 1970's. I would NOT recommend staying anywhere close to the venue in OKC. It's not the best part of town.

Comment

I LIKE STEAKS! We have to eat that night so maybe?

Comment

Working...
                              X