Gas Prices During PT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Prices During PT

As many of you know I have worked in the Oil and Gas industry for 34 years or I should say worked. Forced to retire due to low oil and natural gas prices but that's OK, just got signed up for SS and already on Medicare. Anyway back to the subject at hand. If you are concerned about the price of gas for this years PT don't be. Oil prices closed below $30 / barrel on Friday and its slide will continue. Currently the world has a million barrels of over supply / day now and next month Iran oil coming on line. With continued weak economies around the world we are on our way to sub $20 / barrel very soon. I will predict that we see $1 / gallon or less, given where one lives (state Taxes on gasoline). Some of you may remember the mid 80's when oil prices dropped to $8 / barrel...... we are there again, sub $20 / barrel is the new $8 / barrel. It took the industry 18 yrs to recover from that. So enjoy the low gas prices and I hope the 10's of thousands of out of work oilfield workers can find new employment opportunities.
    Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
    The older I get The Faster I was!

Sorry to hear you had to be forced into retirement. I feel that if you put in the years and are lucky enough to make it then it should be your own decision but business is business. It always seems that if one side jumps for joy, another side has to suffer. The least I ever paid for gas was .97 and that was back in 1997. Growing up near Seattle it always hoovered just a hair over a dollar in the late 80's early 90's. I'll be driving a less than economic car this year and I could use a break as I'm sure many others. But, with so much tied to oil I'm thinking it wont take that long to recover.
    Visit my sons blog:
    www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

I can remember as a kid, all the signs for gas at stations only had two digits for the price.

Comment

Just now we read .99 in Houston!
        Gee Dave I guess I didn't read close enough, I new you had been talking about the big R but I didn't realize it was a done deal.
        Last edited by corvettedad; January 16, 2016, 01:57 PM.
        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Dave I know it wasn't a easy choice for you but hopefully you can settle into the easy life without to much trouble!
          As stated the prices are going down and no end in sight. On the other hand it will be good for the trip in June.
          I remember the double digits but very short lived. Well after I started driving anyway!
          Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Dave I might be right behind you. It's getting bad offshore on the production side also. I'm 54 so I really need a few more years but if layoff happens I will be done with the oil patch. I guess this proves those big oil companies don't have as much control as people thought.

I just got back from taking a 55 chevy 2nd edition out to California to my youngest so he would have a toy to spend money on. We paid anywhere from 1.59 to 3.50 a gallon. 13.2 avg towing going and 16.8 not towing on the return trip.
            I have ADD with a lazy feature.....according to my wife!

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes guys it's been a little unsettling to get up with no place to go but I've started day trading stock and have had good success. Also looking into starting an on line business. So life is good!!!!! (But getting old sucks!) Looking forward to see everyone on PT this year as always.
              Last edited by Big Dave; January 16, 2016, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Dave... let me reciprocate the well wishes you expressed towards me when i lost my means of gainful employment... best wishes to you in all of your future adventures buddy!
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Congratulations Dave!

So does this mean the "Banana Boat" will ride again??? Hopefully this time the top can go down!
                  1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
                  1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
                  1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Dave, I have found that retirement is the best career move that I ever made. I've been watching the fuel prices "normalize" downward and I hope the trend continues. If fuel prices remain relatively low I will bring the droptop Impala on the '16 Tour and hopefully get a re-match with the Banana Boat.
                    Non-denominational car nut.
                    Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
                    Do you go all the way?

Comment

Congrats on the retirement Dave. I was forced from my full-time Air National Guard job because of my age. I had to go to work for O'Reilly's for a couple of years until my guard retirement kicked in at 60 & a couple of years later signed up for social security. It takes some adjusting & oddly enough, just about as much in the time management department as on the income side. When I used to run into the guys that had retired before me many of them would say "I don't know how I got anything done when I was working"! Sounded strange to me at the time but now I understand. The biggest single thing that I can tell anyone is to have your house paid for before you go into retirement. It will make all of the difference in the world in how you are able to live.
                      Last edited by 67 Malibu; January 17, 2016, 09:23 AM.
                      ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

As of last speaking with Dave he will be driving the beast which is his Chevy truck he drove in 2013.
                        Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Originally posted by 67 Malibu View Post
                          Congrats on the retirement Dave. I was forced from my full-time Air National Guard job because of my age. I had to go to work for O'Reilly's for a couple of years until my guard retirement kicked in at 60 & a couple of years later signed up for social security. It takes some adjusting & oddly enough, just about as much in the time management department as on the income side. When I used to run into the guys that had retired before me many of them would say "I don't know how I got anything done when I was working"! Sounded strange to me at the time but now I understand. The biggest single thing that I can tell anyone is to have your house paid for before you go into retirement. It will make all of the difference in the world in how you are able to live.
                          Yup. I'm 35, my house should be paid for by 43/44. Wish my damn retirement funds would actually make some damn money... I know its a long haul, but come on. I also plan on selling my big ass 2 story house for a smaller ranch with big garage. Hope to pocket 75-100k on the move, hard to predict, but based on current price differences should be possible.
                          Last edited by Jesse James 80; January 17, 2016, 02:29 PM.
                          1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
                          1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
                          1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by 67 Malibu View Post
                            Thanks Mike for your words of wisdom. I'm on the lookout for that next opportunity to come along and I won't be setting out on the front porch drinking coffee all day. When you get curve balls thrown at you, you just become a curve ball hitter.....like yogi said "it ain't over till it's over". I've just got more time to prepare for PT this year and in away that's good as I'm getting my youngest son's 70 Camaro ready for this years tour. And yes I'll be driving the "Beast" this year (1990 Chevy 1500 w/ 496 ci engine).

Comment

Get an amortization & take a good look at it. A few extra bucks a month can cut a lot of time off of your payoff.
                              ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Working...
                              X