(Noob) Non-Interstate Routes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Noob) Non-Interstate Routes?

Hi! I've been dreaming of doing the PT for years, and finally think I'll be able to make this year in my '66 Mustang. I'm not exactly stoked about the idea of road tripping across LA, TX, OK and KA on interstates, but at the same time caravaning with a big group sounds like half the fun. Does anyone plan non-interstate routes? Are they posted anywhere online that I can check out?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome Handy Man! The majority of the official route is non-interstate. The route usually is not published until 2-4 weeks before the tour.
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Yep, we've got lots of time to speculate ...

Comment

Ohh, I had no idea there would be an official route. That sounds perfect. Thanks.

Now to start booking hotels...

Comment

This was last years route if you want to map it out and see what kind of roads are used.

http://www.raceit.com/images/imagebi...%20EMAILED.pdf

There is *some* interstate travel, and there will also be some 4 lane divided highways, it can't be entirely avoided, but the whole point is to cruise through small towns and the countryside at 55-60mph with thousands of other hot rods, not blast down an interstate at 75-80mph... I can do that at home

Last year the drives from Champagne, IL to Madison, IL and Madison, IL to Memphis, TN were absolutely beautiful.
          Last edited by Jesse James 80; January 26, 2016, 09:12 AM.
          1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
          1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
          1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

There is very few major cities in the USA that only feed by two lane roads so the interstates have to be taken at some point, but 80% of the tour is on back roads.

Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse James 80 View Post
              This was last years route if you want to map it out and see what kind of roads are used.

http://www.raceit.com/images/imagebi...%20EMAILED.pdf

There is *some* interstate travel, and there will also be some 4 lane divided highways, it can't be entirely avoided, but the whole point is to cruise through small towns and the countryside at 55-60mph with thousands of other hot rods, not blast down an interstate at 75-80mph... I can do that at home

Last year the drives from Champagne, IL to Madison, IL and Madison, IL to Memphis, TN were absolutely beautiful.
              Another positive note,,,, once you meet up with a few BangShifters, you'll also find that we like to take the occasional side detours to unique points of interest like museums, Hot Rod shops, and depending on the route location maybe take in a little piece of Route 66.
              If you take time to look back through some of the other threads like the one on HRPT 2015 photos, you'll see some of the photos of places people stop off at while doing the Power Tour
              '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
              '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
              79 Trans Am project
              ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

There's a road in Oklahoma - straighter than a preacher, longer then a memory. Great Lyric.

Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                X