Things to do in Austin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to do in Austin?

I had really been looking forward to going to the Circuit of the Americas but I have sort of soured on that now that they have exposed themselves. I believe Austin also has a fairly rich music culture. Can someone provide some ideas on venues (bars / restaurants) that would be fun to visit while providing safe haven for our cars?

6th Street is just like Bourbon St. Don't believe the hype.
    Doc's Motorworks is on S. Congress, just south of downtown. Car-type bar and grill. Lots of car stuff there on weekends, but don't know if anything is happening during the week.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
      6th Street is just like Bourbon St. Don't believe the hype.
      Doc's Motorworks is on S. Congress, just south of downtown. Car-type bar and grill. Lots of car stuff there on weekends, but don't know if anything is happening during the week.
      ​Doc's is our must stop bar every time we visit Austin.

Comment

Looking for any particular style of music
        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Cruising on South Congress sounds like the plan and the Continental Club is supposedly Ground Zero - at least during the Lone Star Nats a local mentioned.

The granddaddy of all local music venues, The Continental Club has enjoyed a coast-to-coast reputation as the premiere club for live music in Austin, Texas since 1955 and in Houston since 2000.
          Phil / Omaha

Comment

I am the local who has mentioned a few things in a couple posts, I also have worked as a supervisor at the Circuit of the Americas track. They are money hungry for sure and will try to charge for anything. $50 to parade around the track is nuts. $15 to go to the top of the tower is not too bad and worth the view. They have charged as much as $30 to go up there.

More advice from me the local:

The last city before you arrive at the track is Bastrop, TX. I advise everyone to stop at Buc-ees as you arrive into Bastrop, it will be on right when get to the bottom of the big hill at the stoplight. They will have the cheapest gas and are known for their bathrooms, hard to believe but you have to stop and see for yourself. Also they have more gas pumps than any store you will ever see.

Second, eat lunch somewhere in Bastrop before continuing. The track is about 20 minutes away and there is absolutely nothing around it. If they have a concession stand open it will be double the price of what you should be paying. I advise getting your lunch and any snacks you need in Bastrop.

In the evening:

You can take the toll Road SH130 (The fastest highway in America with 85 MPH speed limit) to Lockhart to the BBQ capital of Texas. That's 20 minutes south on the toll road. Google Lockhart BBQ. If you want Texas size beef ribs you will want to go to Iron Works BBQ in Austin. Mexican food restaurants are everywhere in Austin.

For music, food and to watch the crowd. South Congress is where you should go as has been mentioned. Thare are several places to eat as well on South Congress. If you are thinking about Mexican food there is a great one on South Congress call Guero's Taco Bar. Your car will be safe in that area with lots of foot traffic of people looking at it. When there is any car or motorcycle show in town this where they come for the evening. Anything near the Continental Club. This will be a Monday so the environment may not be near as lively as a weekend would be.

I'll try to answer more questions if you have any. We plan to drive to Bastrop and ride behind you guys in our 57 Chevy to the track. All the rains are suppose to end here this weekend so everything in Texas should be drying out before you get here. Safe travels!

Comment

Thanks rjv57 ------ I could not find the original thread or I was going to link it over for Mr. Pearson and Co.
              Eating BEFORE arriving at any venue is suggested - if nothing else to avoid the lines so your suggestion to stop at Buc-ee's is a great one and I am printing this.I've taken all my other notes home already is why I could not find your original thread(s).

A guy here in my office said Antone's is a good club too - http://www.antonesnightclub.com/
              Last edited by 70chevyC-10; June 3, 2016, 10:51 AM.
              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Are the bats still hanging under the bridge south of town? Last time I was in Austin there were thousands.

Nick

Comment

Post up a pic of your car rjv57chevy so we know who to wave to !
                  Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by nickleone View Post
                    Are the bats still hanging under the bridge south of town? Last time I was in Austin there were thousands.

Nick
                    The bats are still here, in walking distance of South Congress about 1/4 mile towards the capitol. You can watch millions take flight right at dusk.

Comment

Originally posted by rjv57chevy View Post
                      I am the local
                      How about the original Salt Lick? I have always heard it was good and was thinking about going there.

Comment

I messaged South Austin Brewery to ask if they would like to host a hang out. They throw a big party during the Lone Star Round Up with Food Trucks and Live Music. They have a pretty good size parking lot. Will update if I hear back from them.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Originally posted by gixxer711 View Post

How about the original Salt Lick? I have always heard it was good and was thinking about going there.
                          The original Salt Lick is still there and its bigger than ever, it's more commercialized now than it was 30 years ago. It's still BYOB so you bring your own cooler. I should also mention the parking lot is all gravel so your ride will get covered in dust.

Comment

Stubs BBQ is a Good Place to see a band, not sure who is playing that night. Top Notch Burger is a pretty cool place. It where they filmed Dazed and Confused. Also the Drive out to the Oasis at Lake Travis is awesome. Could be better places there though, I'm from Dallas.

Comment

Originally posted by rjv57chevy View Post

The original Salt Lick is still there and its bigger than ever, it's more commercialized now than it was 30 years ago. It's still BYOB so you bring your own cooler. I should also mention the parking lot is all gravel so your ride will get covered in dust.

By the looks of the forecast, dust will be the least of our worries.

Comment

Working...
                              X