First Aid Kit - Suggested Contents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Aid Kit - Suggested Contents

This is an item we all never want to have to use, but in an emergency, it becomes indispensable for the care and comfort of an injured person.
    If you see an essential item or something missing, please post it up and I will amend the list as we go along.

First Aid Kit Contents:

Dressings
    o Sterile non-adherent gauze pads
    o Gauze roller bandages - absorbent, breathable, and often elastic

Bandages
    o Elastic bandages - used for sprains, and pressure bandages
    o Adhesive, elastic roller bandages - very effective pressure bandages or durable, waterproof bandaging
    o Adhesive bandages (band-aids, sticking plasters)
    o Triangular bandages - used as slings, tourniquets, towel, to tie splints, and many other uses
    o Telfa or other nonadhesive pads for covering burns or wounds.
    o Butterfly (knuckle) bandages
    o Different sizes of bandages (non-stick Ace 2?, 3?, and 4? as well) for sprains or wounds.

Instruments
    o Trauma shears/scissors, for cutting clothing and general use
    o Tweezers for removing insect stingers, splinters, etc.
    o Safety pins

Equipment
    o Disposable non-latex gloves
    o Sterile gloves (most commonly latex) for protecting against infection or filling with water to create ice packs.
    o CPR mask, face shield or other breathing barrier
    o Eye cup or small plastic cup
    o Sterile saline (for cleaning eyes and wounds when water isn't available)
    o Swabs, sterile non-woven
    o Alcohol pads or antiseptic hand sanitizer wipes
    o Adhesive tape, hypoallergenic
    o Resealable bags for housing contaminated items or as an ice pack.
    o Needle and thread.

Medication
    o Antiseptics/antimicrobial (Povidone iodine wipes, Benzalkonium Chloride)
    o Antibiotic ointment - single, double, or triple antibiotic ointment in petroleum jelly base (Antiseptic/anesthetic cream or spray, e.g. Polysporin)
    o Anti-itch ointment (Hydrocortisone cream, Antihistamine cream [benadryl] Calamine lotion)
    o Painkillers / fever reducers (Ibuprofen, Aspirin)
    o Antihistamine (diphenhydramine - brand name Benadryl)
    o Aloe vera gel ? for burns, sunburns, itching, and dry skin
    o Neosporin

Re: First Aid Kit - Suggested Contents

3 things you missed.....alcohol, beer,....oh yeh, and booze. ;D
    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by cobra
      3 things you missed.....alcohol, beer,....oh yeh, and booze. ;D
      Thank God, I'm packed. ;D
      I R Bob
      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I've packed the pain killers. Those are for the morning hangovers. ;D
        It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Well, if I get crashed in-to, I hope it's Steve. He'll have everything needed there on the scene already. ;D You left out a pint of Gentleman Jack for "snake-bite medicine".
          Non-denominational car nut.
          Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
          Do you go all the way?

Comment

Originally posted by Solsticefun
            You are a wise man Jim!
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning
              Originally posted by Solsticefun
              You are a wise man Jim!
              I agree. If you have the snakebite oil and the antidote, you don't need all those band-aid-gauze things........ ;)
              just kidding.......
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Berocca!

Do you guys have these there?
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berocca

Great to have one or two after drinking and before bed. Really reduces the hangover.

Comment

No Steve I don't think so, but if you bring a bunch with ya, you probably could make a fortune each morning on the tour. ;D
                  It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Neosporin and duct tape will go a long way. Follow that with an internal alcohol rubdown and you're good ;).
                    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin
                      Neosporin and duct tape will go a long way. Follow that with an internal alcohol rubdown and you're good ;).
                      Good plan Matt - it is always best to seal the leaks before thinning the fluid ;D

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn
                        Good plan Matt - it is always best to seal the leaks before thinning the fluid ;D
                        Allen, that made me laugh out loud. Too funny :D.
                        "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Good one Matt, I will add that for sure.

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
                          Berocca!
                          Do you guys have these there?
                          Great to have one or two after drinking and before bed. Really reduces the hangover.
                          BOS, nope we don't have Berocca for sale over here, but I keep a supply handy from my mates Downunder !!
                          I like the Original flavoured PERFORMANCE variety, can't stand the Tropical Flavour ..

For those of you not in the know, these Aussie wonders are great for a hangover. They are effervescent tablets (like Alka Seltzer, but good tasting) with Vitamin B group and Vitamin C. The Performance ones also include added Calcium, Manesium and Zinc !!

Believe me, it does the trick !!
                          I know because I used some after I sampled some of Darrels recipe in Little Rock ...
                          ;D

Comment

You know what, I don't think I've ever seen the "performance" variety of Berocca.
                            -Actually, I just checked and it is the performance one that I have..

I don't care for the tropical/orange flavor either. The original is good and I often add one tablet to 1/2 a cup of water so it's quite concentrated.
                            Makes your piss really yellow, -likes it's radioactive! ;D

In fact I also use it as a lack of sleep booster if i go to bed really late (completely sober). Wake up feeling pretty good considering..

Want some? ;)

Comment

Needle and thread.......several times I have closed up deep cuts on my hands myself, it rarely hurts any worse than the actual wound itself. Plus I stitch my dogs up when they cut paws and stuff, they have a higher tolerance of pain than their owners.

Benadryl.....great for bee stings, mosquito bites and numerous allergies. It even works for our four legged friends that travel with us.

If anyone is interested, I have a full list of "human" OTC meds that are safe for animals with reccomended dosages based on the animals weight.
                              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Working...
                              X