Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail of the Dragon: Lodging?

OK Dragonslayers,
    The lodge near the dragon where I had planned to stay Saturday night has closed and the property is now up for sale. So, where is everyone staying? I'd like to stay near the other Dragon-Freaks if at all possible.
    Non-denominational car nut.
    Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
    Do you go all the way?

Re: Tail of the Dragon: Lodging?

I am in for the Dragon and Blue Ridge Mnt Parkway on the way Home.
    But the Drag Races at Bristol Sat Night might be fun, then the Parkway/tail on the way Home.

Between 06 and 07 i have done two sections of the Parkway + 250 miles, I think the Parkway is fine, the Tail goes in a circle so it is not that necessary for me but I will follow the group.

Wouldn't the tail be full of Bikes on Sunday?

We need some discussion and a Map.

Comment

I am also concerned with the parkway and the tail being full of weekend cruisers which could either kill the pace or worse cause for some dangerous maneuvers. I haven't made any reservations for the ride home yet. I figured I would discuss the "after tour" with folks while telling lies in the parking lot in the evenings.

Comment

If I was confident the tour will start in Bristol next year, I'd opt for going a day early to drive it during the week. Things being what they are, our current plan is to drive it after the L/H ceremony, then head for Cookeville to spend the night. If they start in Bristol next year, we'll go a day early, hit the Dragon and the Skyway on a weekday........our final plan will be determined as suggested above..... it will certainly be more fun with the group.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr
          If I was confident the tour will start in Bristol next year, I'd opt for going a day early to drive it during the week. Things being what they are, our current plan is to drive it after the L/H ceremony, then head for Cookeville to spend the night. If they start in Bristol next year, we'll go a day early, hit the Dragon and the Skyway on a weekday........our final plan will be determined as suggested above..... it will certainly be more fun with the group.
          Pretty muchmy plan. Go after the LH ceremony & stay where ever we are when the time to park finds us.
          LH '06, '07, '09, '14, '16, '17, '22 & '23 - SH '05, '08, '10, '11, '15 & '18

Comment

Originally posted by 1956NY150
            But the Drag Races at Bristol Sat Night might be fun, then the Parkway/tail on the way Home.
            We're thinking about sticking around Saturday night for the races too. We don't have to be back at work until Wednesday so we're playing it by ear.
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

For those of you that want additional information ...

I think they even have lodging suggestions on the link. If you check out the site for the Cherohala Skyway, it states that the speed is strictly enforced at something like 35 - 45 mph.

Comment

Steve, the speed is more enforced on the Tail. Over the weekend you will see alot of THP on the Tail. Man you don't want to speed or cross the line in any manner what so ever. It is really better to do it during the week, but if you get past the Tail, and do the Skyway it is less crowded and has some very pretty scenery. Also watch out for the other drivers coming at you. Last year we were there in Oct. and a kid on a motorcycle took out a Bronco behind Tina and I. The Tail is fun to do, and I bet it would be a sight to see all those hot rods doing it.
                It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Working...
                X