Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida - Love Bug status

So how bad are they at this point?

I have noticed a few of them flying around down here but I haven't been out on the road enough to know if the swarms are in full bloom or if they are about done for now.

My paint guy told me to use Bounce Drier sheets but I sure would hate to end up with a bunch of swirl marks in my paint.
    Any other "home remedies" for their removal? He wasn't all that thrilled with PAM.

Re: Florida - Love Bug status

Since the are LOVE bugs, maybe KY jelly?HAHA
    OH YEAH
    Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

Originally posted by hoofhearted
      Funny ;D I use the dryer sheet method and have had no problems with swirl marks. I just make sure it is good and wet.
      It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Solsticefun
        Originally posted by hoofhearted
        Funny ;D I use the dryer sheet method and have had no problems with swirl marks. I just make sure it is good and wet.
        love bugs, ky jelly, good and wet.......naw, too easy ;D
        Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Love Bug status ?
          They still SUCK !!
          :P

Comment

The best bug removers I've found so far are a good (Wal-Mart's) foaming glass cleaner for glass and chrome, and Meguiar's Instant Detailer for paint. Believe me, I've killed millions of 'em with the front end of Earl. Flat plate drag to the extreme.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

:-\Just got back yesterday from driving from Orlando to Ft. Myers and then to Sarasota and back to Orlando. Got pounded by love bugs!! Fortunately, I ran into some rain and that got the "big chunks" off the truck. My best method so far is to take a microfiber towel and get it soaking wet and just rub them off. They come right off and seems to be the least messy way to do it....just my humble opinion.....Steve

Comment

About 4 years ago, I went to an NMCA race in Valdosta, Georgia. All of the motorhomes that came up from Florida to the event were covered with those damned love bugs. They made the Winnebagos look like giant chia pets.

Ron
                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn
                  So how bad are they at this point?

I have noticed a few of them flying around down here but I haven't been out on the road enough to know if the swarms are in full bloom or if they are about done for now.

My paint guy told me to use Bounce Drier sheets but I sure would hate to end up with a bunch of swirl marks in my paint.
                  Any other "home remedies" for their removal? He wasn't all that thrilled with PAM.

Expand on the theroy of Bounce Drier sheets,,,,,,,,,,,,,whats in them? thankx.........
                  Living the dream!

Comment

okay WTF is a love bug for a start and where are we likely to run into these?

Comment

Originally posted by The Chief
                      okay WTF is a love bug for a start and where are we likely to run into these?
                      Love bugs are small black flying bugs (1/3" - 1/4") that fly attached as pairs.

They swarm 2 times a year - late May/early June and late August / early September. The swarms only last a couple of weeks. When they are active they fly in very thick swarms and seem to be attracted to carbon monoxide, heat and asphalt. Their body juices are very bad for paint so you need to get them off the car in a timely fashion. I haven't encountered them outside of Florida but the might be in other states as well.

Comment

They are starting to work their way up into Georgia and sometimes even southern South Carolina.
                        They will not be a problem for the Power Tour route, only those of us departing from and returning to Florida and South Georgia.

FWIT - they bred in grasses that are commonly used by the side of the road, which is why they are always around highways.

I HATE lovebugs !!
                        :P

Comment

Love bug status as of 5/31. Yuck!!!!
                          Hope they die before we leave Thursday.

Comment

Looks like the same thing we have here but they're called midges up here or knuckleheads.
                            I R Bob
                            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

If you don't wash them off and your car sits in the sun for a short time they will rune your paint job...... If you are coming into Florida during Love Bug season use Pam Cooking Spray on your front end, mirrors, A pilers and roof line.... They will just wash off real easy......

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
                              1966 Plymouth Fury III
                              2014 Dodge Ram 1500
                              Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
                              Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X