Average speed on Power Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average speed on Power Tour

This will be my first Power Tour this year. My brother and I will be long hauling a 72 Bronco with an original dog tired 302 and 4:11 gears. So for us it's the "No Power" Tour.
    It doesn't overheat (normally ) so slow speeds should not be a problem. More concerned about many miles of high winding with various potential leaky spots...
    1972 Ford Baja Bronco
    Long Hauled 2017

Just run where you are comfortable, and you will have plenty of help around if things don't go according to plan.........
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Speeds are moderate for the most part, some of the muscle cars and street machines have gear ratios similar to yours and most don't have EFI and overdrives. Some of the late models and pro tourers run faster. I'm there to enjoy the drive and see new parts of the country with great people and great cars.
      Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

well, it seems like everyone does things different....years ago, I ran the tour with a 302 small block, 4 speed, and 4:10 gears.....it was miserable on the highway (when we were on a highway) trying to keep up; now running a 427 with a 5 speed w/overdrive, and 3:55 rear; easier to keep up.....then there are some (Florida person comes to mind), who is known to pass the same person not once, but twice, in the same stretch of road......magic!.....anyway, overheating has claimed a few, if and when waiting in long lines trying to enter the venues....it can be an adventure

Comment

My 71 has a 350 transmission and 3.73 gears and does not want to go more than 60 mph.

Comment

2016 numbers. We took our time last year...

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
              2016 numbers. We took our time last year...
              Having trouble pulling 4th gear so you were cruise in 3rd?

Comment

Originally posted by rexdogg View Post
                ...then there are some (Florida person comes to mind), who is known to pass the same person not once, but twice, in the same stretch of road...
                Are you sure that it wasn't some kind of flash back perhaps brought on by some activities you partook in as a youngster?
                It was like deja vu all over again

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Are you sure that it wasn't some kind of flash back perhaps brought on by some activities you partook in as a youngster?
                  No....but, there are visions of a man dressed in a white mechanics' suit, working on a vehicle in a hotel parking lot, and then....voila!..he appears magically with a water hose from the hotel.....I'm just sayin"....

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

​I have been waiting on this FL person to defend himself.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Depends on how fast your group is going. Big Dave likes to go 75-80 mph everywhere, but swears his speedometer never hit above 65

My 65 Mustang has a 289/T5/3.25 gear, damn near perfect for a power tour car. I ran 75-80mph the entire way from SC to LA last year, and from KS to SC because the ride there and back was stupid long last year (I think 10 hours down, 14 hours home). Personally, I like to run about 5mph above the posted recommendation.
                      Last edited by Jesse James 80; April 10, 2017, 02:51 PM.
                      1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
                      1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
                      1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse James 80 View Post
                        Depends on how fast your group is going. Big Dave likes to go 75-80 mph everywhere, but swears his speedometer never hit above 65

My 65 Mustang has a 289/T5/3.25 gear, damn near perfect for a power tour car. I ran 75-80mph the entire way from SC to LA last year, and from KS to SC because the ride there and back was stupid long last year (I think 10 hours down, 14 hours home). Personally, I like to run about 5mph above the posted recommendation.
                        I agree 5mph over posted is just fine with me I'm on vacation I'm in no hurry. Alan on the other hand does everything fast I've heard sometimes he finishes before he gets started.(oh wait a minute that's a different thread.)😀
                        Last edited by pintoboy77; April 10, 2017, 03:02 PM.
                        Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Originally posted by smalblock View Post

​I have been waiting on this FL person to defend himself.

So. ...since Alan has been "unmasked", let us see him.....

1) he lives vicariously through himself

2) when it is raining, it is because he is thinking of something thing sad

3) if he were to mail a letter without postage, it would still get there

4) his business card just says, "I'll call you"

5) He speaks French, in Spanish

6) he won the internet achievement award....twice

7) his shirts and white mechanics' suits never wrinkle

8) if you need a hose....he can get you a hose..

9) he can fix a Ford, using Chevrolet parts, and then....call it a Ford

10) if he passes you on the highway, twice....it's just because he loves you
                          Last edited by rexdogg; April 10, 2017, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.................... "The World's Most Interesting Man". "Stay fast, my friends".
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Thanks guys, we will be enjoying the show from the right lane. Really looking forward to the tour.
                              1972 Ford Baja Bronco
                              Long Hauled 2017

Comment

Working...
                              X