This year's bad luck stories.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This year's bad luck stories.

OK, so there were a number of issues that we dealt with this year.

1. Spin on Thursday night (~90mph) on the way to Madison. As has been reported - pretty minor damage to both taillight bezels, killed one taillight lens, nicked one headlight door, scratched one rear rim and buffed off a little paint at the rear wheel well opening. All and all - pretty damn lucky given 3+ 360s in the fast lane with traffic around! The best I can tell, there was no contact with any other vehicles as there was nothing sitting around when I was done spinning. The damage appears to have been direct contact with a sign/pole/post on the inside catch fence.

2. Rearended a car on Thursday (different Thursday but perhaps I will stop driving in on Thursdays for a while) in Somerset. We were waiting to turn left at a light (at idle) in the rain when I took my eyes off the road to pick up my cell phone and the car in front of me stopped quickly. Damage includes a fairly significant dent on the upper header (directly under the hood) which also pushed it up towards the hood, KILLED the grill bar (pushed it back, down and into the A/C condensor), minor fin damage to the A/C condenser. This one really upset me as there was no excuse for it - just driver stupidity!

Went to the paint shop today to let them look at it. I have an appointment for the week of July 6th to bring it in to get fixed. I asked a couple of times about costs and never got a straight answer but my guess is it will be somewhere north of $1,500 to fix it all. I know that I threatened to DA it all down and put it back in primer as I hadn't as much as scratched it in 7 years when it was in primer but that would just be foolish.

Now, on to the mechanical issues.
    I didn't actually bend any pushrods as I am running fairly stout 3/8" hardened chromoly .080 wall. What was happening was the end (where it mates to the rocker arms) were "wearing out" significantly. I first started to notice a decrease in performance on Friday afternoon on the way to Madison. I stopped at a gas station and ran the valves quickly and found #6 exhaust and #8 exhaust to be LOOSE. I readjusted them and headed off for Madison. I had Arrowhead check with Comp (at the venue) to see if they had the needed parts on their truck but they did not. Dave (Matt's friend) offered to help me find something that would work. He called Jake (I think and no clue on last name) who was coming to Madison and knew most of the local speed shops. As it turned out there weren't any in Madison so he called a friend of his (and Dave's) to see if he could bring some down Saturday night. This person's name is Al Steif who had to drive 20 miles from his home to the speed shop and then ~140 miles from the speed shop to Madison. He brought a complete set of Manley pushrods that were the same quality as the Comps I was running. He gave me the option to purchase as many as I wanted instead of making me buy the complete set.

It is highly unlikely that we would have successfully completed the tour this year without the help of all mentioned above but clearly a loud and sincere thanks to Al for his help!

There were a few other minor issues but given that I built the wagon it is clearly amazing that it works as well as it does.

Comment

Allen, I think everyone will agree that you were indeed very fortunate and I think everyone here will also agree with me that your wagon is just bitchin' and is worth every penny to get her back to the beautiful ride that she is.
      ;)

Comment

Agreed. She's pretty badass man!
        I'm probably wrong

Comment

I'd part it out!

You can give me the motor though. ;) ;D
          I R Bob
          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

hey Al the best advice that i have to give is to not drive on thursdays, that sux though , did you get you motor fixed
            The youngest guy on the board
            76 vega
            86 fiero

Comment

Originally posted by 64casteel
              ... did you get you motor fixed ...
              No, so far I have just cleaned it up so I could take it to the paint shop for an estimate.

This weekend I plan on getting it up in the air (hillbilly lift - 4 jackstands) and inspect the underside for damage, change the fluids and clean things up underneath. Then I will put it back on the ground and pull all the valve train to see if I can find anything obvious. At this point, I have to believe there is something wrong with the rocker arm(s) as I put over 2,500 miles on it AFTER the pushrod issue first surfaced so if it was a lobe / lubrication issue something significant would have failed by now. It probably is some kind of problem with the rocker arm pushrod cups - the rocker arms were new for this build so perhaps I got a couple of bad ones in the bunch. I am not overly concerned with it as I am confident that I can solve it in due time.

Comment

I managed to do some damage to something on the front end while in Detroit. I hit a pothole and after that I had a vibration. It seemed worse when the tires were cold, and I really felt it when I went into the turns at Bristol. Since I was running up against the wall, I figured if one of them let go, I'd have shorter to travel if it all went wrong. ;D
                It almost feels like I damaged a belt in the tire, but it's holding together so far, and when I get home I'll jack them up and do a good check or take it to the local tire shop and have him put the tires on a balance machine.
                I'm glad I took the truck because on the way back I had to let Sharon drive a couple times due to pain. Also, the windshield on the 54 leaks and the new fuel injection computer under the dash sits about where all the water would have been in that rain. I haven't done anything with it at home because everyone knows "it never rains in California"

Comment

As I was getting gas just outside of Bristol my shift cable broke on my newly installed auto tranny. Fortunately my friend lives in Bristol and through the help of my Fiero forum we located a replacement only 1 1/2 hrs away. On the way home from Bristol I got stuck in a traffic jam and that's when I found out that my electric radiator fan burnt out. Got lucky again and found a friendly Fiero folk about 6 miles from my motel and he had a spare (changed it out in his garage). Total cost

ZERO

Comment

Originally posted by Phil
                    Got lucky again and found a friendly Fiero folk about 6 miles from my motel and he had a spare (changed it out in his garage). Total cost
                    ZERO
                    found friendly Fiero folk - changed it out in his garage, Total cost ZERO
                    New Friends PRICELESS

Comment

Overall we had a good trip with little trouble considering we started out in a car we converted from a striped out bracket race car to a street/strip car and test drove it about 1 hr before we left to meet up with the HRPT in Dayton.

About 5 hrs into the trip we blew out a rear tire on I-75 in Ky.

Because of the fuel cell we did not bring a spare. Had new rubber all around and packed a plug kit and 12v mini air comp...thought this would take care of almost any problem. ??? Got a rollback into nearest town...could not find any 60s for rear so we bought two 70s and left the one good 60 behind.

This delay put us in 4:30 rush hour Cincinnati traffic......Car got very hot but did not loose fluid even when we sat in one place for 30 min. ( Glad I put in the aluminium radiator, I just wish I had of added an aux electric fan )

Due to regular plugs and cheap SBC headers this resulted in several fried plug wires. ( this most likely would have happened any way ) I had packed a set of "shorty" header plugs and extra set of wires along with all the other extra parts we brought. So due to the ribs I broke jacking the car up on the side of I-85 in the rubble of rocks I had to lay in, Celeste changed the plugs and plug wires the next morning in the motel parking lot. After that all was trouble free....

We got home from Bristol Friday night with no problem ( only about 1.5 hrs from us ) went to put the car inside Sat morning and the brake pedal went to the floor....a front brake cylinder went out.

Already repaired the brakes and getting ready to tape it up for a cheap spray bomb clear coat.....

Comment

headed on down the road on wed and heating problem i thought i had fixed, started acting up again. nursed it north of nashville, pulled over to the hotel and the power steering pump was making noise. no fluid. it leaked out of one seal on the rack i had just put in before i left. at numerous stops the next day, no one has type F tranny fluid (ford uses this in the steering). had to make the qt i had, last. the next mornings gas stop, my copilot looked the keys in the trunk. good thing i wired in that remote trunk release....oh, what, you need the ignition on for it to work. messed up the rear seat getting it out. couldn't reach the keys, but figured i could unplug the wire from the button and get power from the fuse panel to get the trunk release to operate. this works, but now the fuel door release doesn't work, so spent the tour opening the trunk to open the fuel door (probably a fuse, but i had more important issues). mrs. crankshaft found a freind of a freind near madison with a shop. he also rents cars. he replaced the rack and added a flex fan (3rd fan on the car.) it seamed to work as it sat at ideal for ever. no...i was wrong. it didn't work. on the way to detroit, the speedo broke. broke the needle of the face before i could get the cable disconnected. ordered a new waterpump from napa. it was the wrong one...so we thought (general consenses of numerous real mechanics). set up top chase down the correct part the next day. spent most of the day chasing the part. in the mean time, pulled out the thermostate in the parking lot to gut it enough to get it to a friends shop south of dayton. he had the right part waiting when we arrived. turns out all the pumps i had been turning down, were correct. pulled the waterpump and found that the new pump i had installed 6 months ago, was wrong. put in the new new pump and knew we had solved the problem. not...
                        so worried about leaving bristal before the crowd, i forgot to put the hood pins in. the hood didn't break the windshield when it flew up, but it did do a nice resculpture of the cowl area. heading home, had to dodge a few traffic tieups, but got thru them ok. things were looking like i would make it home...till the engine sputtered and quite. somehow, boths wires going to the electric fuel pump came loose. outside of jacksonville, it started to rain. went to turn on the wipers...located in the cowl...that is now crushed. no rainx either. just on the other side of jacksonville, the tranny started slipping. put in three qts of fluid and it still didn't show on the dipstick. how did it work this long? got a hotel and called for my friend doug to get the trailer and come get us. evidently, the new front seal that i just had put in, leaked out all the fluid. that will teach me to pay closer attention to the fluid levels.
                        whew, good to be home. cristine is nothing compared to this car. >

at least i made home in one piece. others have much more serious problems than me.
                        now, what do i need to do to get ready for next year ???
                        Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

On the drive to Bristol we saw a cougar that looked like it lost an axle..............4-5 other people had pulled over to help.

I hope no one was hurt and that it road on the spring and did not kill the body.... !

Anyone know whos that was ? Everyone O.K. ?

Also passed the camper on fire going down the Mnt toward Bristol

Comment

Let's see. Engine started knocking leaving Dayton and got progressively worse all the way home It is now on a stand and ready for a tear down. Still have good oil pressure, so probably a piston.
                            Broke the second gear syncho in the TKO at Bristol. Crankshaft and Mrs. Crankshaft warned me last year not to do the dyno or drag race. I guess I should heed their wisdom! :D

The good news is that we made it home limping along at 65 mph to save the engine.

Oh well, we have a year to get it going again.

Comment

Our only casulty was our camera. Car got a few more paint chips, nothing that the touch up paint won't fix. That is the advantage of not having a great paint job.
                              Donna
                              Williamston, MI
                              Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

My problems started in GA Friday morning, my front manifold gasket started leaking, by the time I got to Madison I blew through 21 quarts of oil, I fixed it at my motel in Racine, a tube of RTV did the trick. My alternator shorted out Friday night in West Frankfurt IL, Called a local Auto Zone @ 8:45, I bought it over the phone and the manager delivered it to me on the side of the road. Got to love though Mid-Westerner's! Next crises was I had to replace my battery in Dayton, OH. All was going well until the way home, 140 miles from home @ 10:30 pm Saturday my right rear axle bearing exploded, started to come out and it blew my tire, luckily I was @ the Gainesville exit and drove it into a gas station. Little did I know I was on fire when I stopped on the stations underground gas tanks.. :o Manager came out with a Fire extinguisher, it was empty. I started to empty my cooler on it, not much help, the manager came back with another Fire extinguisher and I put the fire out.. Had to get a flat bed tow truck to bring me the last 140 miles home... I can't wait till 2010 PT... ;D

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
                                1966 Plymouth Fury III
                                2014 Dodge Ram 1500
                                Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
                                Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X