No announcement yet.

2018 Western Scenic Tour - South Dakota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only 148 days to go...my uncle owned a ranch of 4,000 acres a few miles west of the Platte-Winner bridge. Beautiful country and good pheasant hunting. I never liked crossing that bridge!

Comment

66 NOVA , 2017 MUSTANG GT
      WST '16 '17

Comment

• 148. Snowstorm on the way again.
        Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

• 147... Thunderstorms yesterday. The temperature is expected to drop from 60 this morning to 30 by midnight tonight and possible snow tomorrow. Global warming my ass!!!!
          Jim & Maureen
          There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
          HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

• 147. Only hail and sleet so far.
            Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

• only 147 days to go and only 53 degrees here this morning! I hope everyone getting hail, sleet, rain and snow stays safe & warm.

Comment

• 147...... How's your weather Jim? We're promised a pile coming our way, however, it must be taking its own sweet time, not much here yet, lots of thunder and rain earlier, and you know what happens when there's thunder and snow, lots of moisture to contend with. Bring it on!

OK, if you've been reading any of my ramblings here, I'm going to back up just a bit and then move forward, or downstream and upstream in this case. The proposed five Missouri River bridges back in the 1920's were Mobridge, Forrest City, Pierre, Chamberlain and Wheeler. To pick an order of construction, these choices were made using a vote and point system. With many negotiations Wheeler ended up being the most popular, Wheeler was also the least populated. All five bridges were built for a total of 2.1 million dollars, just $100,000 over the original estimate. Wheeler is midway between Ft. Randall Dam and the Platte - Winner Bridge.

The Wheeler bridge was built of six spans of Pennsylvania through truss design, the Chamberlain Bridge was four spans of the same design. These bridges were built very narrow, with 1920's vehicles in mind. Due to increased traffic, larger cars and trucks, a safer, more efficient crossing at Chamberlain was needed. The Wheeler bridge was designed to be disassembled, due to the idea that it would eventually be replaced with a combination railroad and highway bridge. Needing to expand the bridge at Chamberlain, it was decided that the Wheeler Bridge could be used to provide this expansion. As the waters rose on Lake Francis Case, the Wheeler Bridge was floated 71 miles north to Chamberlain and used in conjunction with the Chamberlain Bridge to create a ten span, five span long, side by side, two lane crossing that was then US Highway 16. The larger spans on the east side are the original Chamberlain Bridge and the smaller spans on the west end are the Wheeler Bridge, this bridge is still in use today. The Chamberlain Bridge connects to Oacoma, Home to Al's Oasis, a favorite travel stop midway across South Dakota.

As you are traveling across South Dakota on Interstate 90, stop at the Chamberlain Rest Area / Visitor Center. Inside the Visitor Center (during tourist season) are lots of interesting facts about Lewis and Clark and information about this area. There are spectacular vistas of the rolling hills along the Missouri River that Chamberlain is well known for, and is such a welcome sight when traveling west along I-90. Also, there is a newer addition to the Rest Area, Dignity is a sculpture by Dale Lamphere, a renowned South Dakota artist and sculptor. Dignity sits on a bluff overlooking I-90 and the Missouri River valley, she is an indigenous woman wearing a star quilt, standing fifty feet tall, made of stainless steel. As noted by the sculptor, "Dignity represents the courage, perseverance and wisdom of the Lakota and Dakota culture in South Dakota. My hope is that the sculpture might serve as a symbol of respect and promise for the future." Dignity is amazing to view during the day and is more spectacular while passing her at night. For those that have bought into some of my crazy car cruises, the statues of Jesus and Mary at Trinity Heights in Sioux City, Iowa are also products of Dale Lamphere.........
                Last edited by 200WINS; April 14, 2018, 09:44 AM.
                200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

• George, we are in a blizzard now. We are staying in Chamberlain on the way to Deadwood in September, after hitting the event in Vermillion. Looks like James and Dottie will be there too and we can meet up with the rest of you after you leave Vermillion.

Comment

Jim & Maureen

Comment

• 146........ You will like the Chamberlain area Jim. 2018 Spring Blizzard Update........ In our area, one word, disappointing! Plenty of wind and accumulation of maybe 4 inches of snow, a drastic difference from the 8 to 12 and 16 plus that was forecasted, all is well, just means, I have less snow to move.......

US Highway 16 at one time linked Downtown Detroit to Yellowstone National Park, including a ferry ride across Lake Michigan. Before the numbered highway system, this was known as the Grand River Road in Michigan. US 16 crossed Lake Michigan between Muskegon, and Milwaukee. Interstate 90 replaced most of US 16 across Minnesota and South Dakota. What was US 16 in Minnesota and Wisconsin are now State Highway 16 in both states.

US 16 came into South Dakota, from Minnesota, near Valley Springs, then made its way through Sioux Falls. Remnants of US 16, have been replaced by SD 42 and many county road designations from east to west. As with many early highways, US 16 meandered along the landscape connecting small towns along the way. The remaining US 16 begins in Rapid City as Mount Rushmore Road, there is a "Truck" or Bypass US 16 from the eastern edge of Rapid City that reconnects with US 16 / Mt. Rushmore Road, skipping the city. As long as there is not an oversized vehicle involved, I recommend taking Mount Rushmore Road, the traffic isn't too terrible and from Mount Rushmore Road, there is the option for Skyline Drive and Dinosaur Park, more about that later.

US 16 connects with US 385 at Hill City, US 16A turns off before Hill City and goes through Keystone, passes near Mount Rushmore, becoming the iconic Iron Mountain Road, known for its pigtail brides and tunnel views of Mount Rushmore, not to mention its spectacular scenery and 314 curves in 17 miles. We'll visit more about this another time. US 16A connects with SD Highway 36 and travels west to Custer where it meets up with US 16 and US 385. From Custer traveling west, US 16 passes by Jewel Cave National Monument and heads into Wyoming, near Newcastle. From Newcastle, US 16 goes northwest to Moorcroft, WY where it connects with I-90 and heads toward Yellowstone via various alignments. As with many Highways, US 16 evolved, passing through the Black Hills, as it once traveled north, around the Black Hills through Sturgis and Spearfish. There are many pieces of good Highway 16 to drive when crossing South Dakota, I've been on a bunch of it, it does take some patience at 55 MPH, as usually I-90 is nearby at 80........

US 16 across South Dakota, was also known as the Custer Battelfield Highway, in fact, I just learned this, and I can guarantee that I will research and design a Custer Battlefield Highway cruise sometime in the future......... follow these links for more information

Last edited by 200WINS; April 15, 2018, 06:03 AM.
                      200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                      Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

• 146. We have 12” of snow so far and still snowing today but the wind has died down. Waiting until this afternoon to get the tractor out.

Comment

• only 146 days to go...glad the great blizzard was a dud. South Dakota like many states is packed with history. Thanks for sharing George!

Comment

• 145... Keep the history lessons coming George. Glad the weather people screwed this one up. Although it is still pretty cold here for the middle of April. Thirty degrees this morning.
                            Jim & Maureen

Comment

• 145..... Driving north from Chamberlain on SD Hwy 50 provides some excellent views of the Missouri River. Take a left onto BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs) Hwy 4, to follow along side of the Missouri River to Fort Thompson and Big Bend Dam. This is on the Crow Creek Reservation. Big Bend is the third upstream Missouri River Dam in South Dakota forming Lake Sharpe. The name Big Bend comes from a natural geographical feature where the river curves (bends) kind of like an oxbow, almost like a u-turn. The bend in the river is about 25 miles in length, and the neck of land that separates the upstream and downstream waterways is about a mile wide. Look on a map and you will see what this is.

From Fort Thompson, Hwy 34 goes north to Pierre (pronounced "Peer" no "Pee-air") on the east side of the river . Cross Big Bend Dam into the Lower Brule Reservation on Hwy 47 and turn right on BIA Hwy 5. This road follows along the west side of Lake Sharpe leading into Lower Brule, SD. From Lower Brule, take BIA Hwy 10 through town, this eventually becomes Hwy 1806. This is a spectacular scenic byway with many changes in elevation and landscapes with occasional vistas of the Missouri. The downside is, last time I was on this road, the surface has deteriorated and could possibly cause suspension damage to a classic or low riding car. I'm unsure of the current conditions.

1806 follows along the west side of the Missouri and continues as very pretty drive, it eventually leads to US Hwy 83 south of Ft. Pierre, SD.........

Comment

• only 145 days to go... I remember traveling many of those highways before I90 was opened. Thanks George!

Comment

Working...
                                X