2018 Western Scenic Tour - South Dakota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim & Maureen
    There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
    HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

66 NOVA , 2017 MUSTANG GT
      WST '16 '17

Comment

• Only 142 days to go, we will soon be in double digits!

Comment

• 141 to go
          Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

• 141..... While traveling the highways of the northern plains, especially the Dakotas, it is absolutely impossible to miss advertising billboards for Wall Drug. Wall Drug is a mecca in the small town of Wall South Dakota. Wall Drug signs have been reported and photographed many places around the world.

There are over 500 billboards of many varieties along I-90 from Billings Montana across South Dakota and into Minnesota, capturing your attention to visit Wall Drug. Many of these signs come from sign painter Barry Knutson's shop in Philip, SD. Barry got this gig by chance, he was a carpenter with artistic skills and asked if he could paint a sign for them. At the time Wall Drug had three sign painters, Knutson's signs proved to fit the bill and as a result, we, the motoring public get to enjoy seeing his creative roadside, works of art.

Philip is a small town along US Highway 14 on the western plains of South Dakota, a better description is, Philip is a small town in "West River" South Dakota. That gives it more of a cowboy, ranching and agricultural sound, and that is exactly what it is. Philip is named after Scotland "Scotty" Philip, a pioneering cattleman and politician. Scotty is credited with saving the buffalo in this area.

I've only been through Philip twice and both times we had an excellent lunch at the Philip Steakhouse. Teri and I spent a little time walking around, they have a very nice Veterans Memorial and the sidewalks are adorned with historic buildings. Some day I will go back and see more.

Read more at these links, Barry Knutson Sign Painter http://www.sdpb.org/blogs/arts-and-c...e-water-store/

Learn more about Philip SD http://www.southdakotamagazine.com/p...he-rugged-west
            Last edited by 200WINS; April 20, 2018, 04:39 AM.
            200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
            Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Jim & Maureen

Comment

• 141...Desert Storm has arrived in Lake Havasu. $3 million dollar plus speed boats and the party began last night. Today the big boats will hit about 180 mph on Lake Havasu!
                Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

66 NOVA , 2017 MUSTANG GT
                  WST '16 '17

Comment

• Only 141 days to go and a gorgeous day for a boat parade in the channel followed by the big boats racing. All of this with temps in the mid 80's.

Comment

Jim & Maureen

Comment

• 140. Weather is shaping up but still too much snow around the shed to get the cars out.
                        Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

• With only 140 days to go, I will offer garage space to a couple of your cars Jim. Of course they would be "exercised" frequently without snow!

Comment

• 139...... Have You Dug, Wall Drug? Wall SD sits on US Highways 14 and old 16 as well as I-90. It is either the Gateway to the Badlands, or the Exit, depending on the direction of travel. Wall was established in 1907, like many pioneer towns, it came to be, due to the Chicago Northwestern Railroad, and was named for being on the "Wall of the Badlands".

Dorothy and Ted Hustead were living in the small town of Canova, SD, Ted had recently graduated Pharmacy School and Dorothy was a teacher. After working two years for other druggists, they wanted to establish their own store. They searched South Dakota and Nebraska, looking for an opportunity with two requirements, they wanted to be located in small town with a Catholic Church. Dorothy and Ted bought Wall Drug in 1931, they were discouraged by many to do this due to the failing economy and hard times. They spent many days earning little to nothing. With optimism and tenacity they forged forward setting a five year goal to make this business work. Soon, Mt. Rushmore will be completed, bringing tourists to the Black Hills. During the fifth year, on an extremely hot July day, Dorothy had the idea to put up signs offering free ice water to passing motorists. They painted a series of signs, much like the Burma Shave signs saying "Get A Soda..... Get A Root Beer..... Turn Next Corner..... Just As Near..... To Highway 16 & 14..... Free Ice Water..... Wall Drug". As quick as the signs were erected, customers started stopping, although many stopped for the free ice water, soon people started asking for ice cream and sodas. The following year they hired eight girls to help operated the store and give directions. Wall Drug now has over two million visitors annually, drawing as many as twenty thousand tourist a day during the summer months.

As a kid, I remember green Wall Drug bumper stickers on a lot of vehicles, it took until I was 35 to see it, since then, I've been a regular visitor, Wall Drug has, and hasn't changed since. There are new attractions, but the rustic dining area, the silver dollar lunch counter and maple frosted donuts remain the same. I'm not sure that I would consider it a tourist trap, more like an opportunity for breakfast, lunch or dinner in the café, a place to buy what ever you forgot or needed at the drug store and gift shops, a place for peace and reflection at the roadside chapel. Wall Drug has a lot going on, books, boots, hats, saddles, and almost everything else you can think of, also history on the walls, lots and lots of history, plus the backyard has entertainment for all ages. Bring your camera!! You will "Dig Wall Drug"........

Wall Drug Links
                            Promising free ice water to all visitors, a simple thought eventually turned into a million-dollar idea for the roadside attraction in Wall, South Dakota.

Beginning with a few signs on Route 16, people all over the world have heard of and visited one of the major South Dakota attractions, Wall Drug.

Last edited by 200WINS; April 22, 2018, 06:38 AM.
                            200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                            Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

• Only 139 days to go! Way to go mid-west WST folks on getting together, I'm sure fun times were had by all!

Comment

• 139... Just got home from Pella, Iowa. We could not have picked a better city to have our afternoon and evening together. The winery was great, the peanut bar was fun, the dinner at Kaldera's was perfect and the get together in the hotel afterwards was a hoot. The only down side was that the tulips for which Pella is famous for are a couple of weeks behind because of the extended winter. We are all ready for WST and can't wait to see the rest of our friends!!! Black Hills here we come!!!
                                Jim & Maureen

Comment

Working...
                                X