Tips on completing the Long Haul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 67 Camaro View Post
    Bowling Green motels are famous for "screwed up" reservations. There has been so much motel trouble during the Tri-Five Nationals that a lot of guys figure that they are telling people that they are "overbooked" just so they can charge other people higher rates.
    I suspect something like that happened. I made reservations early for the first weekend and second weekend. They had my reservations for the first but not the second.
    I have ADD with a lazy feature.....according to my wife!

Comment

We tried to leave about a half hour earlier that the suggested time each morning. Trying to "get ahead" of the pack a bit. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. We were always there in plenty of time though. Some days, the side stops and gas station stops took longer than others. Even with an hour break down putting us what I know was THE BACK of the pack on the way to Indy this year, we still made it in plenty of time to get our magnets, times stamped, and make a pass down the track. We did cannonball a little bit of interstate that day, other than that we stayed on the route.

I think the best schedule is to not really be on a schedule. After the first day or two the cities, states, time zones and days kinda melt together. Don't rush it, before you know it its Friday and its all over with. Some days we would spend more time at events than others. I know in Madison, we hit the time clock, the magnet stops and b-lined for cold beers at the hotel. Other days we put the tent up and hung around for a while. No wrong plans on the HRPT.
      2013- Murphy, NC Road Side Fan Between Chattanooga & Charlotte 2014- Charlotte-Knoxville-Charleston: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

I like that advice.
        We'll definitely be taking a relaxed attitude around Atlanta. There's too much NEAR the speedway that I want to see that I don't anticipate spending much time AT the speedway.
        2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
        1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
        1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

If you do not have A/C in your ride, you may well feel drained when you arrive at the venue. If your hotel has a pool, you will want your bathing suite. It WILL refresh you.

Comment

I have been driving to motel first to shower and change then going to venue. Those neck wrap things help too. I need to remember to take a water bottle. I am too cheap to pay $5.

Comment

Donna and I have fake Yeti cups that we put ice in first thing and it lasts all day in the Cutlass. We have AC, it just doesn't work.
              I R Bob
              You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
              2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Working...
              X