North Texas FW/DFW area HRPT Veterans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Texas FW/DFW area HRPT Veterans

Newbie would like to talk to experienced HRPT attendees/Long Haulers to give me advice and share their knowledge to help make our first time as enjoyable as possible. Thanks - Fred
    2018 Long Hauler
    1965 Chevy C10 SWB Stepside
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/781158065608127/

Hey Fred, we are far in North Texas, almost to the Red River. Here are a few things we have learned along the way.
    1. Book rooms early, do not choose the prepay option, as the venues are sometimes subject to change.
    2. See where the other Bangshifters are staying, they are a great, fun bunch of people.
    3. Pack light on clothes, you will probably buy/collect a lot of T-shirts, go ahead and wear them.
    4. Make sure your brakes & cooling system is up to par. At some point there will be winding roads, and traffic
    5. Figure out what appeals to you. Do you like the drive? Sitting at the Main Stage? Collecting Swag? Watching the cars roll in out?
    Walking the parking lot? Site seeing along the way? That will dictate when you need to leave every morning.
    6. If you are Long Hauling make sure you leave in plenty of time to reach the registration on Saturday.
    If you don't make it in time you won't get Long Hauler status.
    7. A small ice chest, and snacks go along way, especially at the venues.
    8. Be prepared to do alot of walking, Sometimes the parking is along way from the Main stage, and the locals
    usually make it before the Long Haulers. There is at least at this time, no preferred parking for Long Haulers.
    9. If something breaks and it's possible, get the part and head for the Medics. They are really good, but, sometimes there is a long line.
    10. Try and post on the countdown, it helps to keep it in mind how long before you need to leave.

I'm sure I'm missing some real important stuff, but, this is a start. This trip is something my whole family talks about and plans for.
    We take at least 2 and sometimes 3 cars. We are doing PT every other year so, that we can show the kids the western U.S. too.
    Have fun and enjoy the journey, it's vacation afterall.

Arlington, Texarkana, Little Rock, 2013
    Long Hauler 2014, 2016, 2018
    Kansas City 2017

Comment

Thanks for the response. We are so excited (well, I am for sure)! What a way to kick off our Retirement!
      2018 Long Hauler

Comment

I would add.....in years past, Ed (oletrux4ever) compiled a list of bangshifters, names, emails, cell numbers....if he still has it, try and get one, in case you should need to contact someone

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
        Same request as in years past......email me your individual lists. If you don't have my email address, PM me and I'll send it to you. Emailing your lists enables me to return the full list to you much easier. It is far too large to send via PM. I also build a mailing list to send the final copy to everyone in May.

Please try to keep changes to a minimum.

Another selfish request this year..........group emails are often not decipherable by the time they get to me. Individual lists, please. Include hotel info, SCREEN NAME, and I'll send you a copy once you've been added.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Behemoth View Post
          Hey Fred, we are far in North Texas, almost to the Red River. Here are a few things we have learned along the way.
          1. Book rooms early, do not choose the prepay option, as the venues are sometimes subject to change.
          2. See where the other Bangshifters are staying, they are a great, fun bunch of people.
          3. Pack light on clothes, you will probably buy/collect a lot of T-shirts, go ahead and wear them.
          4. Make sure your brakes & cooling system is up to par. At some point there will be winding roads, and traffic
          5. Figure out what appeals to you. Do you like the drive? Sitting at the Main Stage? Collecting Swag? Watching the cars roll in out?
          Walking the parking lot? Site seeing along the way? That will dictate when you need to leave every morning.
          6. If you are Long Hauling make sure you leave in plenty of time to reach the registration on Saturday.
          If you don't make it in time you won't get Long Hauler status.
          7. A small ice chest, and snacks go along way, especially at the venues.
          8. Be prepared to do alot of walking, Sometimes the parking is along way from the Main stage, and the locals
          usually make it before the Long Haulers. There is at least at this time, no preferred parking for Long Haulers.
          9. If something breaks and it's possible, get the part and head for the Medics. They are really good, but, sometimes there is a long line.
          10. Try and post on the countdown, it helps to keep it in mind how long before you need to leave.

I'm sure I'm missing some real important stuff, but, this is a start. This trip is something my whole family talks about and plans for.
          We take at least 2 and sometimes 3 cars. We are doing PT every other year so, that we can show the kids the western U.S. too.
          Have fun and enjoy the journey, it's vacation afterall.
          very good info - - especially #5 - - if it's a hot day - a shade tree and a chair watching cars roll in (after you get stamped in and magnets, etc.) and out is nice since it's a rolling car show with audio - and the cooler for a companion works too. See ya soon.
          Last edited by 70chevyC-10; December 26, 2017, 01:46 PM.
          Phil / Omaha

Comment

We only made it to Kansas City last year. My husband loves to watch the cars roll in and out. Since we weren’t Long Hauling and I wasn’t out hunting for swag, I got a parking spot by the entrance, and we sat in lawn chairs and watched the cars roll in for hours. I really enjoyed it.
            Arlington, Texarkana, Little Rock, 2013
            Long Hauler 2014, 2016, 2018
            Kansas City 2017

Comment

I did the same thing for an hour or so at the entrance - -
              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
                I did the same thing for an hour or so at the entrance - -
                You have a container that can hold that much High Life?

Comment

I think Phil was holding out on us last year.........
                  Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                  The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

It's on the back of his truck and has a tonnau cover on it..........
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

yes - and actually Jack - Bo and Jimmy supplemented with some gift beers from Mississippi - some hard berry beer. Fruitylicious indeed. Mi cooler is Su cooler - y'all know that.
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

We're there!
                        2018 Long Hauler

Comment

Working...
                        X