Random thoughts from PT 09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random thoughts from PT 09

Just wanted to share a few thoughts and observations from the tour this year.
    1. Racine is a beautiful venue.
    2. Racine is still hard to get into and out of.
    3.Rain, Rain, and more Rain.
    4. The interstates are terrible in Michigan and Ohio.
    5. Someone needs to teach the road departments in said states that it is okay to pave more than twenty feet at a time.
    6. The back roads in Kentucky and Tennesse are better than interstates in Michigan and Ohio.
    7. More rain.
    8.Too much interstate driving for my taste the first few days.
    9. Tennessee and Kentucky had the best drives with the most breathtaking views.(Personal opinion)
    10. As usual the HRPT was awesome. See you next year.

Re: Random thoughts from PT 09

X2.

I thought about you guys on the drive home, and rather than send a PM to everybody, just let me say that Mary and I are blessed to have met and grown to know such a great bunch of people. I thank each of you for your friendship and the memories you've added to our lives. Means alot to us. Can't wait to meet up and do it again! Thanks, to all of you.
    By the way Boob......you never passed us. ;D
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Ditto on everything that was said above. I thought Okla. roads were bad til driving in Michigan!
      I loved KY and Bristol! I think all the venues should be at a Speedway/Raceway like that!
      Would like to see venues in more of the smaller cities like Somerset & Bristol rather than those Gad awful huge metropolises (sp?). The farther away from places like Chicago & Detroit, better for me. I dont like traffic like that!

I know the planners, organizers have a heck of a job to do and Im sure they try to do their best. Its one job I wouldnt want to do. I try to be patient and grin and bear it! I just thankful we have PT to go on and can't wait til next year inspite of long lines, traffic and RAIN! But the sunny days make it all worth it!

Comment

I am just so thankful I was able to go on power tour this year. Rain, cold, bad roads and traffic jams included.

Comment

I was only able to attend 4 days of this years PT, but have done the Long Haul 5-6 times, and just 3-4 days some years. Whatever length I do, I love it. The cars, the people, the sights, the small towns, the people, the cars, the people. One years rumor was Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN down Hwy 61 along the Mississippi river - to New Orleans. Now THAT is one that would have scenic drives like not many other places. Maybe some year? Or if next yeats ends there (NO) go up the river, crossing back and forth from time to time. Ohhhhhh yaaaaa. Anyway, loved it for 2009. Will love it forever. Thank you Hot Rod magazine!
          Jim T
          Supercar Collectibles
          www.Supercar1.com

Comment

I was only able to do Mt Clemmens this year
            got to see the target people we went to see
            missed some I would have liked to see
            met some new freaks
            only so many hours in a day
            thanks to one & all
            2007 Power Tour Long Haul
            2008 Power Tour Long Haul
            2009 Canadian Points East Tour
            2009 Power Tour Michigan Stop
            2011 Power Tour Muskegeon & Detroit Stops
            2012 Power Tour Long Haul
            2012 Northeast Rod Run
            2013 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

There are ups and downs on every tour, but the one thing I like the best, and makes the Tour one of my favorite things to do, even if I'm really a newbie at this, is the friendships I have made, and all the great people I've met. Till next year!!!
              It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimsc52
                I was only able to attend 4 days of this years PT, but have done the Long Haul 5-6 times, and just 3-4 days some years. Whatever length I do, I love it. The cars, the people, the sights, the small towns, the people, the cars, the people. One years rumor was Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN down Hwy 61 along the Mississippi river - to New Orleans. Now THAT is one that would have scenic drives like not many other places. Maybe some year? Or if next yeats ends there (NO) go up the river, crossing back and forth from time to time. Ohhhhhh yaaaaa. Anyway, loved it for 2009. Will love it forever. Thank you Hot Rod magazine!
                Same here, I've never done the Long Haul but have hit a few days out of several Tours. Also, I live just off Hwy 61 in MO and have been saying for years an MN to LA run would be great! There are enough side roads to please people and always I-55 for the vendors to jump on avoid the twisties. Stop at STL, Memphis, etc. along the way. Sounds like a plan to me.
                GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Thank you all!

PowerTour (for me) has always been about the drive and the interaction with the real stars (cars).
                  I also really enjoyed the socialization with the stars caretakers in the evenings.
                  It wouldn't hurt my feelings to have it be a little drier and a little less freeways but I will deal with whatever it is as long as I get to have as much fun as I seem to have each year.

Thanks again for the great time everyone.

Comment

Mike and I had a great time. Came home sleep deprived and sunburnt and had a blast. There is no better traffic jam then Power Tour. Thanks to everyone for a great trip!! Hope to see you all next year 8)

Donna
                    Williamston, MI
                    Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

Ally and I only did Somerset and Bristol this year instead of Long Hauling as past three years. Figured I had been to Madison, Racine, South Bend, Detroit and Dayton sometime, so didn't need to see them again. That idea was reinforced when I saw the route and cancellation of GM Tech as venue. Problem with doing two venues is that it is impossible to meet all of our Freak Friends. Two venues are just too few. It became a strain to see as many as possible (and to get signatures for hoofhearted's Dad's shirt!)

Loved the route between Somerset and Bristol. Ally and I went similar back roads thru Gatlinburg to Marietta so it was a good road trip. Reminded me of 2006 trips thru so many small towns.

As usual, meeting more friends at motels was best part of tour. Now there are more Freaks to look forward to seeing next year!
                      John

Long Haul 2006, '07, '08, '11 Somerset & Bristol '09; Chattanooga '10; Birmingham & Chattanooga '13

Comment

I'm old, 5 hours of sleep a night for 9 days is not enough :P. Charging the batteries for next year.
                        "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn
                          Thank you all!

PowerTour (for me) has always been about the drive and the interaction with the real stars (cars).
                          I also really enjoyed the socialization with the stars caretakers in the evenings.
                          It wouldn't hurt my feelings to have it be a little drier and a little less freeways but I will deal with whatever it is as long as I get to have as much fun as I seem to have each year.

Brother, and this goes for all of you...
                          it was a great time to be had, and it changed
                          Mindy a little.

She's looking forward to going to Maxton now.
                          So am I so this is a bonus. ;D

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like the tour this year was more about the people and less about the sponsors. Because of the economy there were less sponsors, and the tour got back to more about the cars, drive, and people. I needed a vacation, so maybe I was looking to enjoy it more, but it was the best in several years for me.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn
                              Thank you all!

Allen, well said given your eventful year. It's all about the people for me.
                              "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X