No announcement yet.

Hot Rod Power Tour - Origins & History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have a map of the U.S. with the roads highlighted that were part of the Route each year? I would like to see the spiderweb of roads we traveled over the years.
    PT Sportwagon: I didn't start till 2005 and I thought every year was the best vacation of my life, sorry your cup is half empty. I wouldn't trade my 13 Long Hauls and 50 new friends for anything.

Well maybe 2018 in the 53 Desoto wagon wasn't the best vacation ever, but I did meet a lot of good people on the side of the road . . . everyday ! DTB
    DTB - RETIRED

Comment

There were some long drives on that first trip; and nothing but pay phones and paper maps.
      Calling 1-800 to book a motel and hope you made it there!

Comment

Originally posted by Phil View Post
        You left out the most important Power Tour - my first 1999 East Danvers MA to Panama City Beach FL
        His list shows Ca. to P.C.B. Was thinking it was Mass. to P.C.B. At the time I was President (Head Cat Herder) of the Mopar club in Ft. Walton Bch., Fl. A guy called and said the club could make a little $ if we could provide 30 members for 2 days. Not doable & I didn't bother to go to PCB to check it out. A co-worker went on the '03 Tour and that was all he could talk about for a month or two. I began to think I'd missed something. Did 2 stops on the '05 Tour & have long or short hauled most of them since.

LH '06, '07, '09, '14, '16, '17, '22 & '23 - SH '05, '08, '10, '11, '15 & '18

Comment

If I'm missing something or information is incorrect, I need to make it right.

Anyone have any documentation of the 1999 East Danvers MA to Panama City Beach FL tour?

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
            If I'm missing something or information is incorrect, I need to make it right.

Anyone have any documentation of the 1999 East Danvers MA to Panama City Beach FL tour?
            HRM had an article about a Tri-50s Chevy with Mopar power train & the rear axle was too wide. pretty sure it was the Mass. to PCB one.

Comment

Originally posted by fuel to burn View Post
              There were some long drives on that first trip; and nothing but pay phones and paper maps.
              Calling 1-800 to book a motel and hope you made it there!
              How did we survive without cell phones
              and GoPros
              Last edited by 88MCSS LS2 6spd; June 26, 2022, 07:48 PM.
              R n T 88MCSS LS2 6Spd (2013)
              Long Hauler 2011,12,14,15,16,17,18, 21, 22
              Real SH 2019

Comment

We still use our paper map and printed out directions...do cheat a little and put the hotel directions into waze. During the route though don't usually use electronics at all.
                Donna
                Williamston, MI
                Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

I like the large print atlas!
                  Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Originally posted by moparjim71 View Post
                    I like the large print atlas!
                    I intended to stop at a Loves & get a new one, but that didn't happen.

Comment

Updated with the 2023 dates & venues.

Comment

I really miss the 7 days and longer drives each day. Also the venues used to be more exciting for the most part...

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
                          I really miss the 7 days and longer drives each day. Also the venues used to be more exciting for the most part...
                          I think the key problem here is the lack of venues. They really can't even string 7 venues together anymore, there aren't seven event locations that are varied enough and close together.

I've been going over the possibilities of routes out of Bristol next summer as I would like to try and make the long haul. In my research I'm having trouble getting locations that are within distance and haven't been visited within the last couple of years. Losing Memphis International Raceway just made getting venues strung together a whole lot more difficult than it already was. The way I figure they're probably either headed to the Corvette factory in Kentucky (not even sure if that's still on the menu since Chevy is no longer a sponsor) or back to St. Louis again. From there it's probably either Kansas City or Indy, maybe Champaign or Davenport. These are all places that PT have been within the last couple of years. It's even worse if they use the Memphis park from '22 and end up retracing half of the '22 tour.

Every year I've become a bigger proponent of doing a couple of PTs in different parts of the country. Maybe a PT East and a PT Central? If that goes well, maybe they could even return to the west coast. It would mean that regulars could come out more often, but it would also hopefully help take the attendance at each event back down towards the numbers they were seeing during the best era of Power Tour in the late '00s and early '10s, without excluding anyone and killing future moment for the tour. That would mean a lot of smaller cities like Springfield, MO or Hot Springs could host again, they couldn't dream of having enough space for an event today.

The other possibility is that the 5-day schedule could be because, contrary to popular belief, I think the average age of people on the Tour may be trending younger. Lots of Gen X and Millennials seemed to be roaming around the venues in '22, and obviously most people of that age are still working and having to take vacation days to go on the tour. They may not have a weeks' worth of vacation to spare, especially if they are Long Haulers and are having to drive to and from the tour from a distance.
                          HRPT 2016 - OKC, Wichita, KC
                          HRPT 2017- KC, Newton, Davenport
                          HRPT 2022 - Memphis, Nashville, Hoover, Pensacola

Comment

The unofficial box that PT stays in is FL-Tx-Mn-NY, more or less. Some huge % of the population is inside a 300 or 500 mile circle of Memphis. You also have vast areas out west that there's not much population. Great views but the same venue problems. Guess they could do cities that have college or pro football stadiums. A separate Tour up the West Coast might work.

Comment

So I guess my problem with the argument that most of the world lives in a close proximity (300 - 500 miles) - so none of their junk runs good enough to go somewhere else? Sounds like our local car shows down here - if they have to drive farther than it takes to get the thermostat open - they won't go.

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
                                and more vendors - lunch stops and so on
                                Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                                X