Newbie would appreciate some power tour advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie would appreciate some power tour advice

Allow me to introduce myself as I’m new to this forum. My name is Rick and my Bangshift handle is ‘torco’. I’m semi-retired and have been nuts about cars since I was 8. I have three B-Body cars: A 1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited With 107k, a 1995 Caprice Classic (non-woody) station wagon with mileage unknown and a 1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser wagon on life-support. Both '95 cars have the LT-1 and both are exceptionally nice considering that they were raised in the Midwest area. I also collect 1/18 Diecast and have in excess of a thousand scale musclecars in my collection.

I have never been on a Power Tour; I’m not getting any younger so I REALLY want to go this year and this is what I’m asking: (1) if anyone can help me with advice and/or economical lodging info along the Power Tour, it would be appreciated. (2) If a Wisconsin Forum member is going alone and would like a co-pilot I would be willing to offer support and share a room to save money. I can handle a 4-speed with the best of them. If I drive, I’ll likely drive my Caprice wagon with or without a co-pilot. Ride or drive, I will go. My cell # is 262.749.2126. Thanks for reading, have a great week!

for rooms, see the thread "HRPT 2018 Freaks Hotels" or the "hotel list", I would recommend driving your own car the first time, just find a group at your hotel and drive with them. There are folks on this forum from Wisconsin so you may be able to drive to Bowling Green with them. Foremost, remember this is your vacation, its easy to become 'crazy go nuts' by planning to to everything. The most important item is for your ride to be safe (not pretty)
    Last edited by >>>>head; April 10, 2018, 06:13 PM.
    nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Basically get on the computer & try to find rooms. many places will be sold out, or the rates will be jacked up. The year that GM went tits up I had reservations at 3 Knights Inns (not 5 star to say the least) at $44 a night. A week before the Tour started GM notified HR that they couldn't host at the Warren Proving Grounds as was scheduled. After the panic ended they moved the end of the Tour to a site 25 miles away. Got new rooms booked near the new venue. When I went back to cancel the Knights Inn reservation in Warren they had bumped the price to $200! Personally I like driving not in a group. That way you can eat & gas as needed. There's always Tour cars & doing that changes the cars around you. In a group you have cars getting any where from 5 to 25 MPG with varying size tanks so gas stops can be a pain plus getting a group decision on when & what to eat is a hassle also.
      Last edited by george1861; April 10, 2018, 06:48 PM.
      LH '06, '07, '09, '14, '16, '17, '22 & '23 - SH '05, '08, '10, '11, '15 & '18

Comment

Originally posted by george1861 View Post
        Personally I like driving not in a group. That way you can eat & gas as needed. There's always Tour cars & doing that changes the cars around you. In a group you have cars getting any where from 5 to 25 MPG with varying size tanks so gas stops can be a pain plus getting a group decision on when & what to eat is a hassle also.
        ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Welcome to the BS-Forum torco! I'll be heading down towards Bowling Green from the Dells on Thursday the 7th, probably overnight somewhere along the way. I won't set specific details until sometime in May. Usually by then someone (maybe me) will start up a new thread regarding a caravan from Wisconsin to B.G.

As >>>>head mentioned, check out the hotel threads on the forum to get an idea of where others are staying. If you can't find rooms fairly close to the PT Venues, try looking out 20-30 miles in the general direction of the next days' Venue stop - sometimes it's easier (and cheaper) to find rooms a ways down the road.

As far as grouping up, I kinda fly by the seat of the pants, usually looking for other BS'ers to hang with along the way, sometimes switching groups as I go. Keeps some variety in the Tour and allows me to visit with different BS'ers throughout the Tour.

There's a lot of experience here on the Forum. Take the time to read through the various threads... and be ready to have some Fun
          '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
          '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
          79 Trans Am project
          ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Welcome to the madhouse, torco ... be prepared to have the time of your life and meeting many future friends along the way !

Comment

George 1861 hit it where I like it - - driving solo I can stop and go (and I go alot if I drink too much coffee in the a.m.) whenever I please and not stress out trying to keep up or make a light to stay with a group. If you stop for chow - you start up again and cruise with a new bunch. At this point hotels may be tough getting in close but like Redline04 said pick some "down the route" towards the next venue might be your best bet. Just commit - jump in - go with the flow and relax and enjoy yourself. It's rolling car show carnival for seven days that I have been hooked going on for 10 years straight now. Lord willin' and the Creek don't rise.
              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Welcome to the board and as far as the week goes can't add much to what has been said other than get a good road atlas and follow as much as the route you can.
                Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy4639 View Post
                  Welcome to the board and as far as the week goes can't add much to what has been said other than get a good road atlas and follow as much as the route you can.
                  Andy - I remember your first year - Birmingham I think - we went to dinner at Hooter's across from our hotel with a group of 6 or so and most of the place was PT people - then back to watch the rain pour from the second floor veranda. Same hotel again this year at Pelham (Hoover-Birmingham)
                  Phil / Omaha

Comment

get a good road atlas .
                    Bingo on that! I also get maps from AAA. Garmin is good to get you from the venue to your hotel.
                    Last edited by george1861; April 11, 2018, 09:42 AM.
                    LH '06, '07, '09, '14, '16, '17, '22 & '23 - SH '05, '08, '10, '11, '15 & '18

Comment

Instead of a road atlas, I order (on line) a vacation kit from each state's bureau of tourism we will visit, which is FREE. When the official route is announced, I hi-lite the route on the maps I have been sent. It helps my navigator keep on the right roads.
                      Last edited by smalblock; April 11, 2018, 10:11 AM.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by george1861 View Post
                        Bingo on that! I also get maps from AAA. Garmin is good to get you from the venue to your hotel.
                        I google Rand McNally online - - enter in each venue address and hotel address (one city at a time) - then print the map that pops up
                        Phil / Omaha

Comment

And if you're really brave you just follow Big Dave and try to keep up!
                          HRPT 12 Miami and Stillwater, OK, 13 Arlington to Memphis, 14/15 Vetoed by Wife, 16 Long Haul, 17/18/19 motor fiasco

Comment

Originally posted by Gwood74 View Post
                            And if you're really brave you just follow Big Dave and try to keep up!
                            I've followed Big Dave on every tour so far and he hasn't lead me wrong yet!

Jack Martin I like that idea to.
                            Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

I've followed Big Dave on every tour so far and he hasn't lead me wrong yet!

Jack Martin I like that idea to.
                              He might make a few circles but hey that's what it's all about, if you don't make wrong turns you ain't having fun! And if his foot gets to heavy you'll catch him at the next traffic back up.
                              We have a good bunch to ride with be it leaving early or late.
                              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Working...
                              X