Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autocross & Drag Racing Rules Change - Helmets Required !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autocross & Drag Racing Rules Change - Helmets Required !

Mary has been appointed as the official B/S/Facebook interface person for Hot Rod updates posted there.
    This one came out today. Some of us will not be too happy..........

HOT ROD Power Tour Update — New Helmet Rules for Autocross and Drag Racing!
    Here’s a quick heads-up on some new rules for HOT ROD Power Tour — helmets will be required at the autocross and drag racing stops in order to race on-course. This affects the autocrosses at Beech Bend Raceway on Saturday, Atlanta Motor Speedway on Tuesday; and the drag racing at Atlanta Motor Speedway on Tuesday, and zMax Dragway on Friday. SNELL-certified 2010 and 2015 helmets are accepted, but helmets with only a DOT certification are not allowed. While new to Power Tour, this is familiar for you regular corner carvers and quarter-mile terrors — we want everyone to have a safe and fast trip, at the end of the day!

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hot-r...s-drag-racing/

Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Wasn’t planning to do any drag runs this year anywho... but,,, will a helmet be required for the ATL circle track cruise laps? (not autocross)
    '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
    '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
    79 Trans Am project
    ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Well that sucks! I have one Snell M95 and one DOT!
      I wonder if they really are going to check them?
      They never looked at them on Cars and Cones this year.

Comment

sounds like the lawyers are rumbling - corporate welfare at its finest
        nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Johnny Mill (new Editor of Hot Rod) is being very responsive on the facebook page. According to him the helmet changed was required by the venues.

He did confirm helmets were NOT required for the parade laps.

I also remember seeing it in the rules back in Feb/March? But noone brought it up until recently.

1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
          1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
          1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
            Well that sucks! I have one Snell M95 and one DOT!
            I wonder if they really are going to check them?
            They never looked at them on Cars and Cones this year.
            Did the GoodGuys guys check them in Raleigh? We didn't go that far, and it sounded like they may be a little more strict than the FM3 folks were.

And a "heads up," I've got three size Small helmets that comply if anybody wants to swing by early Monday and pick one up for borrow and return - I've got to have them back. We're leaving a little after 10:00 a.m. to go with 74NovaMan on the epic side trip.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Did the GoodGuys guys check them in Raleigh? We didn't go that far, and it sounded like they may be a little more strict than the FM3 folks were.

And a "heads up," I've got three size Small helmets that comply if anybody wants to swing by early Monday and pick one up for borrow and return - I've got to have them back. We're leaving a little after 10:00 a.m. to go with 74NovaMan on the epic side trip.
              No - no one looked at our helmets at any of the events - I assume that they were just checking that we weren't wear straw hats!
              The Good Guy's inspector asked if we had brakes - I said yes there is a pedal in the car. He never opened the door.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                No - no one looked at our helmets at any of the events - I assume that they were just checking that we weren't wear straw hats!
                The Good Guy's inspector asked if we had brakes - I said yes there is a pedal in the car. He never opened the door.
                The most intense inspection I ever got was at an SCCA autocross event. Those guys were SERIOUS. For cones in a parking lot. Red flunked the first try, I had to secure the battery better. And then at my first event at Road Atlanta, with the mile-long straightaway, they wanted to see the brake lights work. That's it, you're good to go.
                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Buy a cheap dew rag from wal-mart, I'm sure some people would be willing to share. I damaged my T5 autocrossing... so I'm just going to watch this year anyway... but it would have be fun to just go around the course without hammering on it.
                  Last edited by Jesse James 80; June 6, 2018, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Vic and I are both bringing our helmets. Mine is Snell 2010 and his is Snell 2015. We'll be glad to share if anybody can wear a size small
                    Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
                    Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

Thinking about running up to Summit tomorrow afternoon and picking one up, only an hr˝ from the lake.
                      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

So who's giving out free autocross rides this year?

Comment

Actually this is off the Hot Rod Magazine page and it's been on the rules page ever since they cam out but it was small print.
                          Sorry didn't see the sticky before now. I just made a thread on this. If a mod wants to delete it feel free.I'm going tomorrow and get one as well from local place. XL for my fat head! I really don't want to spend $160.00 for a helmet I will wear once a year but I haven't ever done any of the tracks before so I had plan to this year! Just my luck.
                          Last edited by Andy4639; June 6, 2018, 02:46 PM.
                          Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
                            Thinking about running up to Summit tomorrow afternoon and picking one up, only an hr˝ from the lake.
                            Yeah - Willow and I have been talking about this as well. It is about 5 minutes off our route going up. What's another $500+ in the grand scheme of things? She giggles like a school girl when we are auto crossing! The one thing I am not sure of is if she is laughing at me going backwards on the course or just the fun of being stupid in the wagon.

Comment

You aren't supposed to need a helmet if your car is slow. I can't wear most hats.

Comment

Working...
                              X