Personal 2018 tour milestones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal 2018 tour milestones?

We never needed to hit a Walmart for anything this year. After ten tours we must have finally packed everything that we needed. Unfortunately, we did overheat (1st time) & still needed to hunt down an O'Reilly's.
    ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Two of mine are consumption-related milestones...and those are the most fun, aren't they?
    ---In Bowling Green at the hotel, I think I may have reached my all-time drunkest. Terry, I blame/thank you for the great conversation that kept us all up late.
    ---After Atlanta, me 'n' Dad both got stymied by the heat, apparently. On the way to the hotel, we bought a box of popsicles and that was our dinner. I ate 9 of them. Dad beat me and finished the other 11. Both are personal records.

No "supply" stops were needed during the actual Tour. Did have to go into O'Reilly's for Loc-Tite when my brakes decided to go kablooey 40 miles from home. Oops. But, I made it back to Cleveland with the following clean laundry: two pairs shorts, three t-shirts, a pair of jeans, and enough socks and underwear to last another week. I also wore the same beat-up pair of Converse Chuck Taylors the entire week - was expecting to throw them out along the route as they are sad looking, but man were they comfortable! Left my good sneakers in the trunk the whole time.

Trip-wise, my best gas mileage run: 26.2 mpg from Chattanooga to Birmingham...interestingly enough, that's the run I did most of my 'spirited' driving, but I was able to coast down most of the hills and ease into the throttle coming up. That old 4.6 DOHC sure is miserly if you leave it wound up above 60!!! Worst mileage was coming back from PT, sitting on I-77. 20.2 mpg.

Also, despite the rain early in the week, I survived without needing to re-attach my windshield wipers (car looks way better without 'em and it rarely sees rain, so they stay in the trunk). A healthy coat of Rain-X did the trick.
    2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
    1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
    1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

I was hoping that my 4th tour would be the first time I didn't have to fix a "significant" or "important" part of the car. She failed me again.

However, it was the first time the car NEVER ran hot. That was fantastic. A/C cranked on high and all.

1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
      1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
      1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

The first time my old girl has left me stranded, high hopes of my second Long Haul were killed a mere 345 miles from home in Missouri.
        HRPT 12 Miami and Stillwater, OK, 13 Arlington to Memphis, 14/15 Vetoed by Wife, 16 Long Haul, 17/18/19 motor fiasco

Comment

Did Not eat in a single fast food joint even once. Had a VA catfish fry, treated to dinner by Raf & Theresa, ate at a BBQ joint with John & Kathy and their friends, enjoyed the party Lars put on for us in Mooresville, but not one single fast food joint the whole trip ~ 3048 miles and no crap food
          Last edited by Redline04; July 17, 2018, 09:36 PM.
          '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
          '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
          79 Trans Am project
          ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Originally posted by Redline04 View Post
            Did Not eat in a single fast food joint even once.
            Come to think of it, we didn't either! Almost went to Sonic to try the dill pickle slushie but figured "I can get that at home" and passed on it.

Multiple days, we hit a grocery store and opted to go picnic style.
            Last edited by a_d_a_m; July 17, 2018, 10:51 PM.
            2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
            1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
            1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

Least miles ever driven on PT, and the first with AC.

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
                Least miles ever driven on PT, and the first with AC.
                I did not see Ed this year Lars ?
                Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post

We saw Ed at Raleigh.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

It was a very short long haul for me as well, only +/-2,000 miles vs 3,400 and 3,500 for 2015&16.

Ed was only able to make the last couple of days, and rolling in this beauty:
                    Last edited by Jesse James 80; July 18, 2018, 03:03 PM.
                    1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
                    1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
                    1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by a_d_a_m View Post
                      Come to think of it, we didn't either! Almost went to Sonic to try the dill pickle slushie but figured "I can get that at home" and passed on it.

Multiple days, we hit a grocery store and opted to go picnic style.
                      Last year I went to an arby's and the au jus was like week old coffee and the roast beef was like rubber. We were supposed to get a Jack in the Box but I guess they bailed at the last minute and now its some kind of Hawaiian place. It was our only Long John's. Adios hush puppies.

Comment

Besides being the lowest mileage tour it was the first time doing the long haul in a car with a carburetor. It was the oldest car we've ever taken.
                        Visit my sons blog:
                        www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

We did right at 3400 & that might have been the most for us. But we never dined on fast food.
                          ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Like Jesse mentioned he only did a couple of stops, then went home after Zmax on Friday. The truck is having electrical problems, he wanted to get back home.

It was a milestone for him, first time he has driven his own vehicle on PT.
                            Last edited by htrdharley; July 19, 2018, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Milestones: Good news-got to sleep in my own bed during tour! Bad news-missed the parking lot parties.
                              Non-denominational car nut.
                              Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
                              Do you go all the way?

Comment

Working...
                              X