Which GPS on Tour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which GPS on Tour?

Here's the deal. A lot of you use a GPS on tour and I'd like to know what you have and if you're happy with it or not. Does it have the ability to accept a download from your computer? Is it loud enough to be heard? Does it recalculate easily, etc. Let me know what you think.

Re: Which GPS on Tour?

Leon, we use a Garmin Nuvi 660. We're happy with it as it's led us out of being lost plenty of time. I don't think you can download routes from a computer onto it though. The only problem we had with it was in Somerset. We put the address of the hotel in and it was trying to send us to who knows where. Never did figure that one out. ???
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

We have a Magellan Maestro 3200. It works well and you can update it from downloads. It did try to lead us astray on the way home near Nashville but we knew where we were going so we ignored it. We have had it for several years and I don't have any complaints except it isn't loud enough in the Camaro with the windows down at 80. Windows up, A/C on, no problem.
      Jim & Maureen
      There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
      HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

I love following people using their GPSs. I get to see all kinds of places that I wouldn't have if we just followed a map.

Turn left, as soon as possible turn around - this is their way of saying "the other left" I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn
          I love following people using their GPSs. I get to see all kinds of places that I wouldn't have if we just followed a map.

Turn left, as soon as possible turn around - this is their way of saying "the other left" I guess.

Kinda like leaving Detroit! Actually I think they're crap signs had more to do with that mess. ;)
          I R Bob
          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Garmin Nuvi 770. Works very well but has a bunch
            more crap than you'll ever need.

Jon

Comment

I have one of those off the wall ones, and it will send you places you are not allowed to be, just ask Jill and Chuck, they will tell you. It is an adventure when you follow me. ;D
              It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

We have a TomTom and it works pretty well, only time we really used it for Power Tour was to find our hotels, most the time had it off, really hard to see it with the top down but the volumn is pretty loud.

Not sure if you can download off the computer or not. I know there are subscription packages that you can get real time traffic info, we have never really looked into that. We pretty much rely on the old atlas for the most part.

Donna
                Donna
                Williamston, MI
                Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

Garmin 2820 - gives me MANY way points so I can roughly plan HRPT route. I put in main points, run 'shortest distance' routing and it closely approximates the HRPT route. Been great except for some routing last year where it wanted me to jump onto interstate: kept saying "recomputing"....
                  I use it regularly in my new career now and it has been great unit!
                  John

Long Haul 2006, '07, '08, '11 Somerset & Bristol '09; Chattanooga '10; Birmingham & Chattanooga '13

Comment

Originally posted by 68_GS_400
                    my new career
                    ????? International Man of Mystery? ;D
                    I R Bob

Comment

Garmin Nuvi. "Betty" always got me where I needed to go.
                      Non-denominational car nut.
                      Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
                      Do you go all the way?

Comment

I think mine hit Bob's cooler a couple of times before we left, it was doing some strange stuff at times. ;D
                        It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Garmin nuvi 750 (Deloris)....many feature i don't use. has usb connection and pay-for-updates from internet. loud enough and wide screen(day/night screen)......says "recalculating" alot.....i'm not sure what causes that. have not tried the waypoints ability, but Ed says it don't really work. all in all I like it. The Fabulous Susie K. has a Sony(Darlene) that works really well in most situations and has a cool lane diagram/split screen feature for those tricky interstate connections, but not as loud of a voice.still a decent unit at half the price of a Garmin.
                          Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

tomtom 1 works good but not a lot of extras...cheep
                            Longhauler 2009,2011
                            Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

Comment

Is the advanced lane guidance or life traffic feature worth having? We just purchased the Garmin 255W on sale yesterday, but in today's paper the 255WT with the afore mentioned items are on it for $20 more.

The lifetime traffic feature is only good for heavily congested metropolitan areas which currently sits at 50 cities.
                              2006 HRPT LH
                              2007 HRPT LH
                              2011 Valdosta Stop

Comment

Working...
                              X