2019 Venues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post

Luckily, Lars is from there so he gave us some workarounds so we could avoid some of the traffic.
    I will repost some directions as it gets closer. The toll lanes should be complete before PT, but I would still recommend the back roads.

Comment

Love them back roads!!
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post

I will repost some directions as it gets closer. The toll lanes should be complete before PT, but I would still recommend the back roads.
        Thank you sir! Back roads are the best.
        I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Looks like all but one of the stops will be a racetrack of some kind.
          That makes for a really cool tour.
          A long way from Texas but tempting.

Comment

Originally posted by fuel to burn View Post
            Looks like all but one of the stops will be a racetrack of some kind.
            That makes for a really cool tour.
            A long way from Texas but tempting.
            Not to mention the route goes through some real pretty states and heads north (so should be a little cooler :D )
            2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
            1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
            1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

Originally posted by a_d_a_m View Post
              Not to mention the route goes through some real pretty states and heads north (so should be a little cooler :D )
              It figures that it will be cooler. We got the AC working in the Cutlass finally.
              I R Bob
              2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

How do you ,Do this tour and look at the landscape and backdrop and not look like a driver that is texting. lol
                It seem that is going to be an issue for a person (me and/or my dad if he goes) that hasn't seen much outside my area.
                Last edited by Eric; December 1, 2018, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Eric,
                  Some thoughts on driving the PT from a former Pro Rally driver/navigator and 3 time long hauler.
                  When the route is published get a map and figure where you are going each day. Take each days route and blowup the instructions so that if you put them on a clipboard that driver and passenger can read them from either seat. Plus have each days instructions separate from the others.
                  A GPS system helps. In the past some PT'ers have published a GPS route. I have a GPS in the car and use it mostly to find the venue and hotel. I turn off the voice which my co-driver calls Gertrude. She is disturbing. Plus buy an Road Almanac or individual state maps. Hope this helps.

Nick

Comment

Do any of you guys make a "Side trip" on the way to the next venue?
                    See my build at: www.1932auburnsedan.com

Comment

Originally posted by V12guy View Post
                      If there is something cool to see...

Comment

Originally posted by V12guy View Post
                        I echo what htrdharley said. If there's something cool - yes. This past year we diverted to Davey Allison's grave, saw Jonesboro (where they filmed Smokey And The Bandit) and drove past the original Dukes Of Hazzard Boars Nest.
                        2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
                        1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
                        1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

For some reason, the HRPT Google Map is messed up for me so I made a couple of maps using these sites:

Roadtrippers: https://tinyurl.com/yb76yx7r and MapQuest: http://mapq.st/2zV5sNz
                          Last edited by Conradk; December 12, 2018, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post

If there is something cool to see...
                            The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum (where I work in the shop as a volunteer) is 20 minutes north of the Ft Wayne coliseum venue. There is also the "Early Ford V8" museum, and NATM (National auto and truck) museum in nearby Auburn.
                            both of these don't really mess up the drive to Norwalk if anyone is interested.
                            See my build at: www.1932auburnsedan.com

Comment

We stopped at The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum on the way home from PT in 2017. That was well worth the visit.
                              I R Bob

Comment

Bristol in 2009 was the drag strip for the event on Friday & over to the Speedway on Saturday morning for the Long Hauler event. Giving away new Camaros & crate engines. No Saturday Long Hauler events anymore & no free car or engine give-aways anymore.
                                ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Working...
                                X