Patriotism and the 4th of July 1776

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patriotism and the 4th of July 1776

I know this message is a little late, but worth the read in any case.

Interestingly, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, Thomas McKean, was a relative of our family, my Mom's father's great grandfather (her grandmother was Addie McKean - so I'm not sure about how many "greats" to put in).

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence ?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died.
    Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.
    Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.
    Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.
    They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists.
    Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKean was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Rutledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.

So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

Remember: freedom is never free ! It's time we get the word out that patriotism is NOT a sin, and the Fourth of July has more to it than beer, picnics, and baseball games.

Have a Great Holiday,
    From a Patriot

Re: Patriotism and the 4th of July 1776

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing that.
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Thanks Steve!!

8)

Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Wow us Brits were real hard bastids, i wonder when we lost our way. Maybe if we were the same today we would still command some respect rather than being a push over country trying to piss with the big dogs

Comment

Thanks Steve. My family had an ancestor killed at Bunker Hill in 1775 at the beginning of the fight to rid oursselves of the Brits. Those Patriots really gave a lot for our freedom.

The Fourth of July is my favorite holiday for it means so much. Our family has always had flag flying and many served. My father served in Army in WWII, G...grandfather and G...uncle served in Ohio Volunteer Infantry during Civil War (and G..Uncle was killed & is buried at Nashville.) I spent Jul 4, 1972 on a Tin Can halfway to Viet Nam. At same time, my cousin was in Army in Korea.
          Best experiences have been to spend 4th in Boston. Walking the Freedom Trail has so much meaning, following those routes these Patriots trod to give us our freedom. Hearing descendants of those who signed the Declaration read it from the balcony of the old State House brings tears and a lump in the throat. Really moving event.
          John

Long Haul 2006, '07, '08, '11 Somerset & Bristol '09; Chattanooga '10; Birmingham & Chattanooga '13

Comment

Originally posted by The Chief
            Wow us Brits were real hard bastids, i wonder when we lost our way. Maybe if we were the same today we would still command some respect rather than being a push over country trying to piss with the big dogs
            Chief, we are proud of our heritage, just as you should be.
            I for one, am glad that America and England (UK) managed to put old differences aside and become great allies.
            ;D

Comment

Chief, what happened over 200 years ago is over now. It is good to know that were ever our troops go you Brits are right by our side. What better friends to have.
              It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

England has and will be always our strongest and most respected ally(no knock on Canada....they just got french in em). Chief....thanks again for the Escala cd!!!
                Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Working...
                X