2019 Veterans Car Show on Friday Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Veterans Car Show on Friday Night

Are there any plans for a Veteran's home visit / car show in the Charlotte area this year?

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
    We are set to have the Veterans Car Show on Friday evening from 6-8:30 at Richards Coffee Shop. The Bangshift Forum Freaks will have a reserved parking lot behind Richards. We will also have dedicated tables inside to hang out at, eat drink or whatever. I am hoping that the tour at
    Chip Ganassi Racing will end by 5 pm, and everyone over there can follow me to Richards. Diane will have to chime in on that.

Richards is not normally open on Friday evening. They have arranged for some of the regular volunteers to help out that evening with parking, food etc. This is a museum as well as a coffee shop. There will be tours inside for small groups for those that would like to do so. I really recommend this.

. Big Tinys BBQ ( https://bigtinysbbq.com/ ) is a couple of doors down and will be offering food inside Richards on a limited menu, or anyone wanting to come inside Big Tinys to eat is more than welcome. Let them know your with the Hot Rod Power Tour, he may offer discounts and is also working with Richards Coffee Shop to donate some of the proceeds to them. This is the guy who cooked at Roush Racing for the lunch stop a few years ago. He is a car guy and racer.

There will be a few donated items for a silent auction, as well as a 50 / 50 with all the proceeds benefitting Richards.

Veterans, please sign in at the front door.

You do not have to be a veteran to hang out at Richards. They welcome everyone.

As mentioned, they are not normally open Friday evening. They are open at 7:30 on Saturday morning. I have attached a menu for Saturday morning. There is always some live music going on, many veterans come in or are brought in from local nursing homes or veterans homes, it is really amazing what happens there. Come by on Saturday before PT and see what Richards is all about. I spent last Saturday morning there, and brought the 57. I parked out back where small shuttle buses were bringing guys in. I had the pleasure of speaking with several guys who were glad to see the old car and bring back memories. It is very crowded and very busy on Saturday morning, there is no way to get any dedicated parking or do a show that morning. But I plan on stopping by and or cruising through town before PT.

There are also several other places to eat or drink: Bathtub Gin, 202 Main, Beer Lab, Smoky J's BBQ, Pie in the Sky Pizza all only a couple blocks away.

We also plan to have this as an informal cruise night downtown. There should be some local cars coming in after 7.

I sure would like to have one . I dont know who organized the one where we went to Salisbury Veterans Home.

Comment

Depending on when it is, we'd like to try and make it.
      I R Bob
      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Do we have any local vets in the Mooresville / Charlotte area that could help identify some possible sites?
        Is there a local VFW post that might be interested in hosting a fish fry or some other type of fund raiser that we could support by attending with some cars?
        Vic mentioned potentially going back to the NC State Veterans Home in Salisbury - W.G (Bill) Hefner VA Medical Center

In my opinion there are benefits to either type of venue:
        Group home / VA Hospital - you get to interact with our veterans and show them some appreciation for their sacrifices.
        VFW Post fund raiser - you get to contribute money to the local post to help support the local programs they are providing.

Either way, it would be great if we could do something to honor our vets.
        Last edited by cstmwgn; April 10, 2019, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Another option would be something like we did in Madison in 2009. We went to a local restaurant (QSL in Middleton) and they contacted the local VFW. We took free will donations for them. If my memory serves me we raised almost $400 for them.
          Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Allen, I will look into a couple options and post them up.

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
              Allen, I will look into a couple options and post them up.
              Lars - I was really trying NOT to put more on your plate. You do have a lot to deal with for the party.

I have done some google searching.
              Mooresville
              Richard's Coffee shop
              AM Vets

Charlotte
              VFW Post 6724

Concord
              VFW Post 6480

Salisbury
              VA Hospital

Comment

The Veterans show has been in the back of my mind for some time, I am working on some things for that.

I have asked for some local help in putting that together.

On average, how many cars / people / space and what time frame works best for you guys coming in from out of town? The only show I made it to was the Salisbury show a few years ago. We probably had 50 cars or so?

Comment

Lars, our numbers are down overall. I think we only had 20 or so last year. Somebody else might confirm my observation........
                  Most cars have 2 people......Tom, Phil, Wayne and a few others run solo.
                  Traditionally the show is set for Friday afternoon or evening.
                  If I was closer I'd do some leg work for ya, but remember that I do have a phone, and I'm retired now.......
                  Last edited by oletrux4evr; April 11, 2019, 07:25 AM.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Late afternoon, early evening would be best for us. We're driving from Ohio on Friday morning.
                    I R Bob
                    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

The laid back kickoff is from 1-6 on Friday. According to Hondo Miller it's going to be big for the 25th anniversary.

Lars, Dave and I should be in Mooresville by noonish on Friday if you need any help with anything.
                      Last edited by Andy4639; April 12, 2019, 06:35 AM.
                      Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy4639 View Post
                        The laid back kickoff is from 1-6 on Friday. According to Hondo Miller it's going to be big for the 25th anniversary.

Lars, Dave and I should be in Mooresville by noonish on Friday if you need any help with anything.
                        Thanks man.

More details upcoming....

Comment

I have had some really productive meetings and conversations with Richards Coffee Shop. They are onboard with doing a car cruise night on Friday night. The goal is a 6-9PM. The details will take another few weeks to iron out. We are working with merchants in town and the town board to make sure we have support and ample parking.

I am hoping that we get the support we need, I would like to have the Forum Freaks cars on main street and advertise this locally as a charity car cruise night with guest from all over the country.

If the town is against shutting down main street, the parking behind Richards will hold 50+ cars and it will be just us and a few locals attending.

I have been to Richards several times over the years, it is truly an interesting place that does great things for the Vets and the community. Allow some time to walk inside and visit with veterans and tour the museum.

The goal would be to do a fund raiser type of car cruise night. I have several companies that are going to donate some really cool stuff for a silent auction to be held inside Richards.

I hope we have a great turn out. There are BBQ places, micro breweries, pizza places, antique stores all with in a few blocks. It should be a good way to spend an evening.

Take some time and read about what Richards is and does.

http://www.welcomevets.com/

Comment

Thank you Lars
                            We will be there with "Bells On". I suspect mine will be a cow bell

Comment

We'll be there too Lars.
                              I R Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X