Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tour route "type" question and transmission question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think some folks are underestimating the amount of interstate driving. In 2018, we were on the interstate all day between Atlanta and Darlington. It was what, almost 300 miles? And 2019, we did a fair bit of interstate driving on I-75 going to KY Speedway from Bristol.

But I did 2019 in a '62 C10 with a big block Caddy, TH350 trans, and what I believe was a 3.42ish rear gear. Although the truck was screaming at 80mph, we survived and somehow got 13-14mpg. Have to believe your 350 w/3.08 ratio rear would be fine.

Would I have liked overdrive? Hell yeah. Would I do the same thing again without the overdrive? Yep.

(but am I planning on taking a different vehicle with overdrive next year? YES)
    Last edited by a_d_a_m; October 9, 2019, 06:02 AM.
    2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
    1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
    1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

more important than the trans is the cooling system.1500 cars trying to go thru a small town or waiting in line to park at the venue has caused more than a few long haulers to overheat

Comment

Reading the previous posts,
        First I'm onboard with 59brook, bumper to boat tail traffic is going to be the real enemy!
        I'm thinking of a pumpkin swap also.
        The Indy Racer idles along at 85-90, with running room, but I'm Not going to be running the "Lights on the Flying Mile". (Oh would I love too, but could never pass Tech Safety Inspection)
        So to get a respectable rpm at 75, and still have running room, I think something around 3:25 or close will work.
        Tech's; 300 inline six, T-5, and a "Trash-ota" 1/2 ton pickup chasis.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post

1) what type of roads is the tour route mostly, is it mostly highways 55-70mph speed limits or main roads that the speed limits are 40-55mph.
          and if a mix, about how much most years of one over the other on the "official route"
          2) Those that have taken your own back road type route from stop to stop, did you make it to the next stop before the events at that location were over?
          Hi Eric

Typically each daily drive is about 150-200 miles on 2-lane back-roads with 35-55mph speed limits, and takes about 3-4 hours to drive if you follow the planned directions. Occasionally there is a longer distance day where you might do 300 miles, which will have more highway driving.

The daily events normally run 12pm-7pm so depending where you stayed the night before, if you leave your hotel at 9am and join the tour convoy you will arrive at a venue at 1-2pm with a lunch stop on the way. Even with a detour you should be there well before the activities end - usually everyone has arrived by about 4pm I think.

Depending on the day's venue and access road options, there can be a traffic jam waiting to get into some venues, and it does get hot in June, so some older cars sometimes overheat - idling in a traffic jam on a hot summer day with an engine-driven fan can cause problems due to lack of airflow, so having electric fans can be a real benefit, even if they are manually switched on and off. We had that problem in Chattanooga in 2018 - a 95 degree day and only one road into the venue. The bottleneck became how long it took each car to be able to park in turn ......

The Gas Buddy website will give you an idea on fuel costs by state and grade (regular/ 87, mid/ 89, premium /91-93):

Last edited by Red_Kitty; January 1, 2020, 03:53 PM.

Comment

This link below shows you the detailed 2019 route. If you click on the "One Page Directions" link in the middle of the page you can download the route as a PDF document. Note that the blue links at the top of each daily section will show you the route in Google Maps so you can see the type of roads the route runs on.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/offi...wer-tour-2019/
            Last edited by Red_Kitty; January 1, 2020, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
              The Indy Racer idles along at 85-90, with running room, but I'm Not going to be running the "Lights on the Flying Mile". (Oh would I love too, but could never pass Tech Safety Inspection)
              Hey Captain -

If not a Flying Mile, how about a Standing Mile (or 1/2 Mile)?

https://www.ectamile.com/land-speed-...t-you-race-it/
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Tech details can be found at this link:

COMPETITOR INFORMATION Come race with us! ECTA is dedicated to safe, competitive and fun, high-speed land racing. To that end, we hope this page will provide you with all the required information you need to participate with us, and we look forward to seeing you at the track! Rules Questions or clarifications on the rules?… Read More »Competitors

DanStokes on the forum here is a tech inspector for Land Speed Racing and may be able to tell you more about what's needed for <135mph running.
              Last edited by Red_Kitty; January 1, 2020, 04:37 PM.

Comment

you might also consider a/c while your doing it. things can get pretty hot in the summer

Comment

Originally posted by 59brook View Post
                  you might also consider a/c while your doing it. things can get pretty hot in the summer
                  Thanks, It is an A/C car, The question is does it still work.

Comment

RED KITTY,
                    Thank You, I will read thru the rules tomorrow having 1st morning coffee.
                    Way back before the turn of the Century, some local Rod Clubs had Airport Landing Strip runs. Or Radar Runs.
                    I think that would be a HOOT again!!
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by 59brook View Post
                      We had the AC going in the Cutlass last year for the first time. Time will tell if it still works this year.
                      I R Bob
                      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                        RED KITTY,
                        Thank You, I will read thru the rules tomorrow having 1st morning coffee.
                        Way back before the turn of the Century, some local Rod Clubs had Airport Landing Strip runs. Or Radar Runs.
                        I think that would be a HOOT again!!
                        ​​​​​​
                        Sounds like an episode of Top Gear.

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post

We had the AC going in the Cutlass last year for the first time. Time will tell if it still works this year.
                          El camino had add on A/C but all that was left was the fan and evaporator in the glove box. Took it out to replace the dash after it broke where the passenger side vent was put in. Bare floor with holes that need patched in floor and firewall. Blower fan worked when I tested it replacing heater core but its not working with the switch. 2/60 air works good as long as you are moving. Kick panel vents and wing windows.

Comment

classic auto air in Tampa Florida is a good place for parts and info

Comment

Originally posted by stu yoakam View Post

El camino had add on A/C but all that was left was the fan and evaporator in the glove box. Took it out to replace the dash after it broke where the passenger side vent was put in. Bare floor with holes that need patched in floor and firewall. Blower fan worked when I tested it replacing heater core but its not working with the switch. 2/60 air works good as long as you are moving. Kick panel vents and wing windows.
                              Since the Cutlass is a factory air car, there were no kick panel vents to open. Plus, the top is always down so when you're sitting in traffic like we always do on PT, it's nice to have a little cool air blowing on you.
                              I R Bob
                              You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                              2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Funny thing is the car was built in California. Found the build sheet under the gas tank but it was pretty trashed. Tank leaked when full enough and turning corners. Covered in oily soaked undercoating. New tank sender and gauge years ago.
                                Last edited by stu yoakam; January 14, 2020, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X