Car dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car dead

71 sits in the driveway with trickle charger to keep battery from going dead. Start it once in a while but last time it was dead. Put charger on it but battery was five years old and used so I got a new one on sale. Now car has no power at all. Cleaned cables checked starter connections. No dome light or anything even with charger on it. Only thing working is fitech handheld unit that is wired directly to the battery cable. Checked fuses. I will try improving the grounds but car started and ran before so...
    Weather is going to be cold and wet this week. Getting a new door on the house Tuesday. Maybe they have a tent or something.

Stuff like this always happens at the most inconvenient time.......good luck with it. Grounds, I'll bet.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by stu yoakam View Post
      71 sits in the driveway with trickle charger to keep battery from going dead. Start it once in a while but last time it was dead. Put charger on it but battery was five years old and used so I got a new one on sale. Now car has no power at all. Cleaned cables checked starter connections. No dome light or anything even with charger on it. Only thing working is fitech handheld unit that is wired directly to the battery cable. Checked fuses. I will try improving the grounds but car started and ran before so...
      Weather is going to be cold and wet this week. Getting a new door on the house Tuesday. Maybe they have a tent or something.
      If it was me, I would start at the battery with a trouble light and work into the system on the hot side. On my car that symptom would indicate a blown maxie fuse but I have no clue what GM did on those models.

Comment

Check the fusable link between the battery and the radiator support. Had one vaporize on my 70 ss back in the day...
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Hope you get it going. I put cars in storage yesterday and one of the GS’s was dead too. It started up for a few seconds then died and now turns over but does not try to fire. For now I pushed it into place.
          Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Didn't know they had fusible links that long ago. Have had cars not run without the small ground and one that still ran with only that after the battery cable came off. Started fine a few weeks ago. No critter damage to wiring. Have to put motor mounts on brothers focus too.

Comment

There was an "extra" wire that I thought was for the voltage regulator that I threw out(alternator swap). I guess I was wrong. It must have come off when I took the battery out. I will put a new connector on it and reattach it. Low pressure fuel filter is leaking again. Will have to reprogram the base info on fitech controller too. I did get my transmission temp gauge put in after a year of procrastination. Put it in place of my iffy voltmeter since the fitech displays it more accurately.

Comment

Changed the motor mounts on a Focus. The bolt wouldn't come out of the bottom one. Sprayed it a bunch. Tried electric impact and air impact forward and backward to work it loose and then breaker bar but just rounded the head on the bolt. Then tried the socket for rounded bolts. Got the top ones on and the passenger side was the bad one. Might try again later. That was the 24th. Maybe its soaked in by now.

Comment

Ordered new fuel pumps for the charger. Got one yesterday and the lock ring tool today. The other one says Wednesday. Chasing misfire by throwing parts at it. When I did the injectors it started having trouble starting sometimes and will run rough. Runs worse the longer it runs and is more likely to happen after you shut it off and restart after a short trip. Also got the crank sensor though its not likely the problem. Did plugs coils injectors pcv valve and gaskets for valve covers and plenum. Can't find any vacuum leaks and air filter is clean. Had water pump and timing belt changed last winter. 107k miles on car.

Comment

Put air in my tires today and the metal valve stem broke. Had to put spare on due to shops closing earlier on Sundays. Had to take a lot of crap out of the trunk to get the tire in there.

Comment

Changed both pumps last Tuesday. Only took four hours. Hard start is fixed now but yesterday the light came back on for the misfire. It took all week for the gauge to read full after filling it up Wednesday.

Comment

Oh, how I hate In the Tank Fuel Pumps....
                        Another Manufacturers Conspiracy for Dealership Work !!
                        Just thinking, poor ground for fuel gauge.

Here to Help, Not saying you're doing it Wrong.

Comment

When I put the new motor in the truck, I had to pull the tank to put new fuel pumps in. If I had to do it again, I'd take the bed off. It would have been easier.
                          I R Bob
                          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Put the scan tool on today. Now instead of misfire it says rich condition and possible O2 sensor problem.

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
                              When I put the new motor in the truck, I had to pull the tank to put new fuel pumps in. If I had to do it again, I'd take the bed off. It would have been easier.
                              EXACTLY!!!
                              I have cut holes in truck floors, gone to the junk yard and cut a bigger piece out of a Wreck, and made a plate that nicely looks "Correct" to cover it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X