New guy prepping for Power Tour 2020!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PJF View Post
    One question, do any of you all bring along an EZ Up? I am not sure it is worth the space it would take up in the trunk, it seems like it could be useful though.
    We never bring a canopy. Partly because it would never fit in the trunk of the Cutlass but mostly because we wouldn't use it. You can usually find some shade at the venues if you need it.
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Hey PJF be sure and send me your contact info so I can ad you to the Power Tour phone list. Click on the phone list thread for information to do that.
      Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
      The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

PJF, this is what my Lightning looked like one week before PT 2013. When I left for the tour, the new motor in the truck had 75 miles on it. Click image for larger version

Name:	Lightning.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	1260560
        I R Bob
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Hopefully no one will get tired of these mundane updates but it helps to keep me motivated.

I got my new copper collector gaskets installed, rehung the X-pipe, and most importantly began redoing the muffler installation.

In the last year the car had three different sets of mufflers on it, a pair of 3" race bullets that were just too loud, a pair of 1 chamber Flowmasters that were WAY WAY WAY too loud, and finally a pair of Summit 2 chamber mufflers that are still loud but livable. As I swapped mufflers each time I just zapped the old ones off and welded the new ones in with whatever pieces of scrap I had around. By the time I got to the two chambers it looked like, well you can imagine what it looked like. Booger welds and leaks everywhere!

As of tonight I have it cleaned up and looking a lot better! I am a HUGE fan of V-Band exhaust clamps from all the turbo systems I have built and installed over the years and I used them extensively in this exhaust. I stripped one ouf them out installing it tonight so I only have a pic of the drivers side muffler put back in. I know a lot of you will think it is ugly but believe it or not this is a big improvement over what was in here. I wouldn't even dare show the disaster I chopped out of here! New V-Band is on the way, in fact I got two since if one stripped out the other one is bound to sooner or later!

Focus on the shiny parts and you can see what I just put in there.

And just or fun here is how she sounds. This was taken back in warmer months here in Maine. I think it has a cool sound to it to be honest.

More coming, thank you guys again for the motivation! I am going to make this tour.

Comment

Originally posted by PJF View Post
            Hopefully no one will get tired of these mundane updates but it helps to keep me motivated.
            We always love updates! Especially with pictures!
            Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
            74 Nova Project
            66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
            79 Chevy Truck Project
            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Sounds great!
              Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Yes PICTURES,
                I will confess.........I'm not above Stealing Good Ideas!!
                The Story of the "Smart Man" and the "Wise Man".
                The "Smart Man" learned about FIRE by Burning his Hand In It!!
                The "Wise Man" Watched Him Do It !!

Comment

Alright, if you guys really want more pics and updates then you got it!

I finished redoing my exhaust, the new v-band came to replace the one I broke, and I got everything installed. Sadly I bought the wrong band clamps to go from the mufflers to the tailpipes. They work and are tight but they leak a bit and it is bugging me. I need 2.5 OD to 2.5 ID clamps, these are 2.5 ID to 2.5 ID, oh well, the correct ones are on the way!

Here is the passenger side muffler on my welding table after I finished it up. You can see the wrong band clamp pictured here on the right hand side of the pic. I thought this showed my work off a bit better than the other under car shot I took. I'm no ace welder but this didn't come out too badly.

I spent some more time doing tire stencil work and I thought I would show I did it.

I found a picture online of the Goodyear font I wanted. Then I simply adjusted it up or down until it fit on a 15" tire. I printed it out, taped the sheets together, then with a single edge razor blade cut out the stencil at my kitchen table.

With the use of my DA and some 80 grit disks I smoothed the sidewalls of my existing tires.

Then I applied the stencil, masked the rest of the wheel and tire and sprayed it with some Krylon. I think it looks awesome. And I love the Basett wheels, I can't wait to see the car down on the ground again.

More to come soon I hope!

Comment

I cut a lot of my own stencils. Have a weird bunch of tools, almost like a gasket cutting set.
                    one CHEAP thing to buy is a Xacto Knife Set.
                    Last edited by Captain; January 28, 2020, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Sorry for the lack of updates Power Tour bros!!

I put in the new stereo as well as front and rear speakers and wow what a difference!!! My Monte has has got some killer tunes now!!

I also put in 2 inch rear drop springs, it looked awesome but then I felt the nose sat a little too high. So I pulled the front springs and cut a half coil of them. I slaped in new KYB shocks and Energy Suspension poly bushings. It dropped the front about an inch and I think the car sits perfectly now, it definitely is getting the NASCAR look I was picturing in my head.

The G-Body front coils were without a doubt THE most difficult I have ever installed. I had to compress them to the point that I was scared to death they were going to kill me, even then I still had to give them a few sharp blows with a hammer to get them seated, YIKES!!!

Anyway, more work to be done, I am going to weld a patch panel in front of the left rear wheel, replace the pins and bushings in the doors so they don't sag, and do a couple more little items and I will be ready for Power Tour. I am definitely getting very excited!

More to come as I make progress.

Comment

Looking good there PJF!
                        Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                        The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

You should put numbers on it and sponsorship decals.
                          I R Bob

Comment

That car is sitting awesome now!
                            2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
                            1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
                            1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

Lookin’ good!
                              Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
                                You should put numbers on it and sponsorship decals.

Comment

Working...
                                X